BMT Green Hornet subway car?

jeffmorris

I know that the BMT Green Hornet subway car was made in 1934 and was scrapped in 1944 during WWII. The "Subway Cars of the BMT" book and the Internet don't have any color photos of the subway car. The book said that the subway car was painted in two-tone green. Was the interior in two-tone green or white?

Hey! Finally a good/interesting question on here.

Taken from a few notes and old materials I have on the Green Hornet cars:

The interior decorations of the car have been re-designed to provide a colorful but restful finish with blue predominating in the color scheme. The seats have brown leather cushions. The base of the seat frames and side walls are a dark blue, while the upper part of the side walls are light blue. The ceiling finish has a cream tint. Window frames are of stainless steel; hand rails and stanchions are of polished aluminum. The exterior of the car is in two shades of green with aluminum color for the roof and underframe.

http://nycsubway.org/cars/bmtodd.html

"Five section articulated experimental train, built in 1934 by the Pullman Car Co. Built largely of aluminum and painted green, it became known as the "Green Hornet". It was delivered May 14, 1934, and entered service on the Fulton Street El August 29, 1934. It didn't last long, however; the Green Hornet was withdrawn from service on February 1, 1941 and removed from the 36 Street Yard by the scrap dealer Aug 30-Sep 1, 1943 because its aluminum was needed for the war effort. The Green Hornet was originally numbered 7000A-8000B-9000C-8001B-7001A. It was re-numbered 7003 A-B-C-B1-A1."

img_6713.jpg

After playing around with colors in photoshop, it seems that bottom part is of light emerald color,(similar to the green used on most I beams), while upper is lighter tint of the same color.

But don't take my word for it, I would love to see it in real color.

There's a color picture of the Green Hornet on Fulton St near Bond that was used on the 1989 paperback edition of Cudahy's Under The sidewalks of NY. It looked like any other drab "green" used on trains. It looked more dull than that drawing.

Archived