Why Is Math So Hard for Some?

East New York

The only math that really annoyed me was Trig(Physics), and Airframe Electrical (Algebra, Trig, and Calc.) when I was in Aviation Maintenance school.

I like math, but sometimes it can be a headache. And when servicing airplanes, there is zero room for error. Try measuring, and cutting out a piece of stainless steel to replair a plane's skin by hand! Sheesh!:confused:

If you take engineering at City College then you can look forward to a professor with a thick Russian or Indian accent who will give C's (or less) to half the class.

A good engineering school is Polytech/NYU. Columbia and MIT are out of reach unless you have a 99 average and a near-perfect SAT score.

I had a professor in DeVry that flat out told us the first day of classes "Forget about achieving a 4.0 - you will never reach perfection in this course."... In my mind, I'm like, oh great, another one of those types....

I went to two more classes after that to see if maybe he was BS-ing around.... nope... The way he taught, he maintained that same "I'm the professor & you are the student - you will never get to where I am" attitude.... after that 3rd class, I went & asked the registrar if there was another EET202 class available... there was, but it was a 6-8pm.... I took it w/ the quickness...

coming back home from that area (33rd on the (7)) after 8pm was always an adventure.... I went to Devry NY long before they moved it, inside Manhattan Mall (which I didn't even know, until recently)....

...and btw, about havin a 99 average & a high 15xx & up on the SAT's (yeh, that tells you I'm not a spring chicken anymore; back when 1600 was a perfect score... lol)... lemme tell you somethin...

Polytech was like that during the 90's/early 2000's... matter fact, my graduating EET class in Grady, we went to this seminar in Polytech... and you had these geeks make this presentation about how great the school was, and how dedicated you had to be (basically) to "make it" in the school & what not.... and then the professors/staff had this powerpoint presentation about success & what not....

funny you mention MIT....

One of my colleagues made a remark to me, and was like "damn, these kids make you look dumb"... I *smh* at the remark & the moment, and said to all my classmates "Poly is a wannabe MIT... I'm not comin here"... some lady (despite how good she looked) overheard me & said, student life is not THAT difficult here @ Poly.... I didn't buy it for a second... I know when I'm being duped, and when someone is being accurate on something... and I got no sense of over-exaggeration out of those students when they made that speech.....

that's back then when Poly was 75% indian, 15% asian, and 99% non-black.... and I wasn't down with that dress code either....

screw that !

I actually enjoyed most math courses. I love Trigonometry and Algebra and such and also did well in Chemistry, but I hated Physics and Geometry. Stats I also hated at first but did well in. I compare Math to languages. Some of it has a formula, some of it makes sense and the rest is just because and you just have to accept that. I used to tell my students that when I taught Spanish & Italian. With time you understand a lot of the stuff that doesn't make sense. Now I have clients that will grill me about how we translate certain phrases the way we do and I have to sit there as if I was a teacher all over again and explain why. It makes me chuckle.

I actually enjoyed most math courses. I love Trigonometry and Algebra and such and also did well in Chemistry, but I hated Physics and Geometry. Stats I also hated at first but did well in. I compare Math to languages. Some of it has a formula, some of it makes sense and the rest is just because and you just have to accept that. I used to tell my students that when I taught Spanish & Italian. With time you understand a lot of the stuff that doesn't make sense. Now I have clients that will grill me about how we translate certain phrases the way we do and I have to sit there as if I was a teacher all over again and explain why. It makes me chuckle.

Geometry was challenging in that you needed to memorize a bunch of theorems and postulates. However, when you are looking at the diagrams, a lot of them come back to you and you are able to figure them out (I did pretty well in the class: My grades were 95+ every semester).

I took a College Now class in Statistics and was surprised to find that it was fairly easy. We started out with really basic statistics (mean, median, mode, scatter plots, bar graphs, etc) and then moved onto actually analyzing the data. Still, all it involved were just using some formulas, which we were given on the tests so I did pretty well in that class (I think I got a 95)

I like math and find it usually pretty easy, I don't know why people say it's useless, especially when compared to other subjects.

Exactly. You know that, at the very least you'll need to know basic math like algebra later in life.

Geometry was challenging in that you needed to memorize a bunch of theorems and postulates. However, when you are looking at the diagrams, a lot of them come back to you and you are able to figure them out (I did pretty well in the class: My grades were 95+ every semester).

I took a College Now class in Statistics and was surprised to find that it was fairly easy. We started out with really basic statistics (mean, median, mode, scatter plots, bar graphs, etc) and then moved onto actually analyzing the data. Still, all it involved were just using some formulas, which we were given on the tests so I did pretty well in that class (I think I got a 95)

Exactly. You know that, at the very least you'll need to know basic math like algebra later in life.

I took Stats in college. It just took time getting used to figuring out the calculator and all of the long math required. Once I got that down it became pretty easy. I got an A or A-. Geometry is just hated. I think I still got an 85 in high school which isn't bad at all. :cool:

Languages is definitely more my thing. In college I was a Spanish major, but I took Italian as well of course , but also studied French which was a breeze and then American Sign Language which was tough, but I picked it up. I wanted to take Latin & German too, but my schedule didn't work out for those. :D

Archived