Why Is Math So Hard for Some?

East New York

I used to like math up until my senior year in high school. In my mid-sophomore year (January 2007) I took the Math A regents and scored an 85. As I progressed the math got harder but I kept up with the work. Starting with my senior year I don't know what happened; I failed my first quarter but passed the others with between 75 and 85, but I took the Math B regents three times before I got a passing grade with a 66 and qualified for an Advanced Regents Diploma.

I can side with you on that. Math gets harder and harder as you move along. It ends up being so complicated. If there was some way to make it easier. Someone should develop some sort of shortcut, because it isn't easy. For math Geometry is my favorite, I suck at Trigonometry, and I suck the most at Algebra.

I was an A student in math up until high school. I had this lousy teacher in Brooklyn Tech who gave me a 75 However, I did well on the Regents. I scored a 79 on Sequential Math 1, 94 on Sequential Math 2, and 94 on Sequential Math 3 (I think they're called Math A and B now). On the SAT I scored a 700 on the math section. In college, I was inconsistent in math. The first time I took Calculus II I got a D+ (I'm not ashamed to admit it). The second time I took it I got an A. I had to take Differential Equations three times to pass it. The first time I dropped it. The second time I got a F. The third time I got a B. Math isn't hard. It depends on who is teaching it.

I'm pretty good at math: I'm a year ahead (I took the Algebra Regents in 8th grade, rather than 9th grade), and am one of the smartest students in my Algebra II class (though the Trigonometry section is a little bit harder)

Trig isn't that bad. It's simply sine (opposite/hypotenuse), cosine (adjacent/hypotenuse), and tangent (opposite/adjacent). Calculus is when math becomes torture.

I'm good at most math.

I passed Math RCT, Science RCT, English RCTS, Global History RCT when I graduated in 2005.

If you're that smart then you should go to college.

Trig isn't that bad. It's simply sine (opposite/hypotenuse), cosine (adjacent/hypotenuse), and tangent (opposite/adjacent). Calculus is when math becomes torture.

Lol, SOHCAHTOA...that's how I learned the sin/cos/tan nonsense with the opposite, adjacent and hypotenuse.

I always thought Sohcahtoa was a mountain cuz it sounds like Krakatoa....

I'm only in Geometry but already we're doing some Trig topics...

The volume of a sphere:

4/3*pi*r^3

Let's say the radus of the sphere is 3.

3 to the third power is 27 [3*3*3]

27 * (4/3) = 36.

As for pi, it's tricky. Sometimes we just solve for terms of pi, so the volume is 36pi.

When we're trying out the exact value, we don't. Either we're told to use 3.14 as a close estimate or use the exact value of pi - there's a button in our calculator. 36 * 3.14 is roughly 113.

Yeah, I'm bored. U MAD?

If you think area of a circle (pi * radius squared) is tedious, wait until fidning out volume of a cylinder, or sphere, or cone. We just build on things. And this is just basic Geometry. But once you get the hang of it, it's not all that hard.

Math isn't hard per se; it's pretty easy once you understand the concepts, and then doing problem after problem is just repeating the same thing over and over again. The problem for most people is just understanding to begin with. It's also not the most interesting topic for some so finding the motivation to do well in it isn't easy all the time either. Having just about finished junior year, I'm beyond Trig and Precalc (easy enough) and all ready to be raped by AP Calculus BC next year.

I am not bad at basic math. Its the complex logarithmic math that I am bad at. I personally love science and my favorite scientific field is Astronomy. My favorite subject is history.

We have something in common.

Im good at basic math and those things. But when it comes to that crasii ish....forget about it. Doing word problems are annoying. But math does teach you how to write checks and its sad to say but alot of adults have no clue how to write a check.

I love Astronmy also. I have a telescope and look at the planets on clear nights. Seeing Jupiter is an amazing sight. If you like Science you should be able to atleast comprehend math

dyscalculia,-which describes someone who is virtually unable to deal with numbers, much less do complicated math.

I am fine up to Alegbra, anything after that and I am lost.

Hereditary and genetics play a big factor.

Sounds like Albert Einstein.

Back to topic. Why does educators and tv exces/programmers try to create a new show that tries to make math 'cool.'

America must develop much more kids within this country in math to stay in the global biz or risk getting further to China and Japan.

Math isn't hard per se; it's pretty easy once you understand the concepts, and then doing problem after problem is just repeating the same thing over and over again. The problem for most people is just understanding to begin with. It's also not the most interesting topic for some so finding the motivation to do well in it isn't easy all the time either. Having just about finished junior year, I'm beyond Trig and Precalc (easy enough) and all ready to be raped by AP Calculus BC next year.

That's because math is taught wrong. Formulaic procedures are taught before basic concepts.

Same with science.

If you don't understand the concepts, you'll never be able to do the math.

Archived