Meeting Regarding S79 +SBS+

Maybe by Richmond Terrace, but most of Port Richmond wouldn't qualify as "poor". You're only comparing it relative to other parts of SI, but compared to the rest of NYC (as well as other cities), I don't think it qualifies.

Yeah, well, as far as I'm concerned most of Port Richmond is a dump. Its glory years as a key community came and went once the SI Mall opened. The only real decent parts are above or near the immediate area there on Forest Avenue, so yeah if it isn't poor then I don't know what to call it, but folks getting food stamps certainly are poor to me. Sometimes if I'm lazy and decide to stay on Staten Island and I want some organic granola and milk or some imported beer or whatever, I will take car service over to that Pathmark there on Forest past Jewett to pick up a few snacks since they're basically always open and some of the folks I see in there certainly look poor to me. Part of the problem is that as a whole Port Richmond doesn't look poor because there are some decent pockets like over there on Decker Avenue is nice and so those folks may have higher incomes which sort of lessens the blow, but I am certain that there are some really dirt poor folks over there. Basically those are the types of folks you would see taking the local bus and they certainly don't have income to be spending any real cash in those stores if they even go in them.

Yeah, well, as far as I'm concerned most of Port Richmond is a dump. Its glory years as a key community came and went once the SI Mall opened. The only real decent parts are above or near the immediate area there on Forest Avenue, so yeah if it isn't poor then I don't know what to call it, but folks getting food stamps certainly are poor to me. Sometimes if I'm lazy and decide to stay on Staten Island and I want some organic granola and milk or some imported beer or whatever, I will take car service over to that Pathmark there on Forest past Jewett to pick up a few snacks since they're basically always open and some of the folks I see in there certainly look poor to me. Part of the problem is that as a whole Port Richmond doesn't look poor because there are some decent pockets like over there on Decker Avenue is nice and so those folks may have higher incomes which sort of lessens the blow, but I am certain that there are some really dirt poor folks over there. Basically those are the types of folks you would see taking the local bus and they certainly don't have income to be spending any real cash in those stores if they even go in them.

I go to school in Port Richmond and have been there at various times of the day. I've spent more time west of Port Richmond Avenue (in terms of actually walking around, rather than just taking a bus ride through it) than east of Port Richmond Avenue. The houses right near the school look just fine, as do the people walking around in that area.

It is the areas north of Castleton Avenue that are the poorest.

I go to school in Port Richmond and have been there at various times of the day. I've spent more time west of Port Richmond Avenue (in terms of actually walking around, rather than just taking a bus ride through it) than east of Port Richmond Avenue. The houses right near the school look just fine, as do the people walking around in that area.

It is the areas north of Castleton Avenue that are the poorest.

I certainly wouldn't dispute that, which is why I avoid those areas like the plague. The same is true in West Brighton, although quite frankly I don't consider those areas part of West Brighton. The heart of West Brighton is quite affluent, as are the areas near or above Forest Avenue. To be honest though, I'd much rather shop in West Brighton or in Castleton Corners or along Hylan Blvd before going to Port Richmond. It's just rather run down and depressing IMO. Even parts of Richmond Avenue look far more appealing even though some of the stores are rather old in terms of looking outdated.

I certainly wouldn't dispute that, which is why I avoid those areas like the plague. The same is true in West Brighton, although quite frankly I don't consider those areas part of West Brighton. The heart of West Brighton is quite affluent, as are the areas near or above Forest Avenue. To be honest though, I'd much rather shop in West Brighton or in Castleton Corners or along Hylan Blvd before going to Port Richmond. It's just rather run down and depressing IMO. Even parts of Richmond Avenue look far more appealing even though some of the stores are rather old in terms of looking outdated.

When I first heard of West Brighton when I first moved here, I thought that West Brighton was only the area around the West Brighton Houses.

When I first heard of West Brighton when I first moved here, I thought that West Brighton was only the area around the West Brighton Houses.

LMAO! Imagine that. The only thing that I'm sort of murky with is where West Brighton ends and Castleton Corners begins because technically the area over by Martling and Slosson I suppose is still West Brighton, but as you go up Slosson Avenue that is certainly Castleton Corners. :confused:

I saw a flier on Friday (on both the S44 and S89) advertising a meeting regarding the S79 +SBS+ proposal.

I don't quite remember what it said, but I know it said that there was a meeting on June 8th. I remember it said that it was accessable by the S51, as well as the Hylan Blvd bus routes, so I'm pretty sure the meeting is being held at the Excelsior Grand (located at 2380 Hylan Boulevard in New Dorp). I'm not sure of the time, but I'm 99% sure it is in the evening.

I'm going to try to see if the notice is up tomorrow, but I posted this so everybody could look out for the flier advertising the meeting.

The 78 & 79 will get you there coming from either direction, & the X-buses coming from the city will.

Not a horrendous walk from the SIR, New Dorp or Grant City stations, either. Excelsior Grand the joint in between ShopRite & the 122nd Precinct on the east side of Hylan yes? If so, probably tad closer to the New Dorp Lane SIR station.

78 &/or 79 best way there it sounds like. Alternative ways there & back for folks are taxicabs &/or getting lifts. Anyone driving there will probably have to park in ShopRite`s parking lot.

There's also another major problem here. The MTA is going to have to install the ticket vending machines in the middle of nowhere on Hylan Blvd and if they can't keep the bus stops and staten island railway from getting vandalized, what makes them think the vending machines won't get destroyed either. They would absolutely have to run the SBS all day & night otherwise those machines are just standing targets for people and especially the kids & teens. Save the money for the SBS & use that same money to make the S79 24/7 so that there is 30 minute service overnight on Hylan Blvd & 30 minute service overnight on the S53! :tup:

If I can find out where this is, I'd be asking why can't the S53 get some form of limited stop service?? I mean it's ridiculous that the busiest line on the island has only local bus service and the S93 doesn't count. :mad: The S79 could get SBS service and since the streets are too narrow for SBS service on the S53 just put limited stop service on it.

You think it needs more service outside of rush hour?

There's also another major problem here. The MTA is going to have to install the ticket vending machines in the middle of nowhere on Hylan Blvd and if they can't keep the bus stops and staten island railway from getting vandalized, what makes them think the vending machines won't get destroyed either. They would absolutely have to run the SBS all day & night otherwise those machines are just standing targets for people and especially the kids & teens. Save the money for the SBS & use that same money to make the S79 24/7 so that there is 30 minute service overnight on Hylan Blvd & 30 minute service overnight on the S53! :tup:

I don't even see them having that many runs on the s79.

I have used the S53 on Saturdays as early as 7 a.m. and it does get usage, but a mass of passengers drop out at Victory Boulevard, which for some reason the bus map for Brooklyn and Staten Island still state that some trips drop out at Victory Boulevard, when they no longer do.

S53 service outside of rush hour seems adequate. On the other hand, while I'm not objecting to the S79 +SBS, a Limited would probably be the best solution to speeding up service. A S79 Limited would probably make the run 50-55 minutes long, whereas the S79 +SBS would make it 45-50 minutes long. Either way I still think bus lanes should be added and used during rush hours so the Hylan Boulevard buses, even the express buses, don't get caught up in traffic so much.

I have used the S53 on Saturdays as early as 7 a.m. and it does get usage, but a mass of passengers drop out at Victory Boulevard, which for some reason the bus map for Brooklyn and Staten Island still state that some trips drop out at Victory Boulevard, when they no longer do.

S53 service outside of rush hour seems adequate. On the other hand, while I'm not objecting to the S79 +SBS, a Limited would probably be the best solution to speeding up service. A S79 Limited would probably make the run 50-55 minutes long, whereas the S79 +SBS would make it 45-50 minutes long. Either way I still think bus lanes should be added and used during rush hours so the Hylan Boulevard buses, even the express buses, don't get caught up in traffic so much.

The S53 ridership can fluctuate past Victory Blvd and it really depends on when you ride it. There are a lot of people that connect with the S53 at Forest Avenue, but usually it depends on whether the buses connect right away otherwise the bus may come up to Victory not as crowded. While I don't ride it a ton, I have certainly seen an increase in the number of folks using it even when folks aren't connecting with buses past Victory Blvd. A good number of the riders are Latinos past Forest Avenue and that population is growing steadily, particularly the Mexican population and keeping Port Richmond somewhat vibrant. Also, remember that the X16 was cut, and some folks that used that now take the S53 down to Hylan Blvd or the service road to connect to other express buses.

I don't even see them having that many runs on the s79.

I assume you're referring to the S53? Actually outside of rush hour yes, it could use a few extra runs here and there as LRG said. As the weather gets warmer though, there is a substantial increase in usage on the S53, so service should be bumped up accordingly. During rush hour actually, service between 08:00 and 09:00 could be increased to every 8 minutes instead of every 10 at all times. The buses are packed by the time they reach Forest Avenue where I sometimes get on if I get out late and can't catch the last X30. I would argue that there is certainly enough ridership past Victory Blvd to warrant limited stop service at least Monday through Saturday. Limited stop service could run until say 21:00 or 22:00 towards Port Richmond and it would certainly get good usage because you not only have folks from Brooklyn, but also many express bus riders use it too because it connects with the Hylan Blvd lines as well as the service road express buses, not to mention the SIR at Grasmere station. Part of the issue with the local buses on Staten Island is that they require a significant amount of time just to get off of Staten Island which could be reduced significantly with more limited stop service.

I actually couldn't catch any express bus last Saturday night because I left from a party so late and had to take the S53 from Bay Ridge. At 04:00 in the morning that bus was packed. It wasn't SRO but just about every seat was filled which was amazing IMO and shows how well the line is used.

As LRG said, I think limited stop service on the S79 would work wonders. SBS isn't a must and while it would be nice to some degree, it may cause too many problems, so it would be best to have that rather than nothing at all.

I couldn't agree more myself!! That post is spot on. Take that money and use it to run the S79 24/7 as it should be and increase the frequencies on the S53 and give it limited stop service as well. The problem with the (MTA) is they could improve service on Staten Island without spending tons of money and for some reason or another they refuse to do so.

The 78 & 79 will get you there coming from either direction, & the X-buses coming from the city will.

Not a horrendous walk from the SIR, New Dorp or Grant City stations, either. Excelsior Grand the joint in between ShopRite & the 122nd Precinct on the east side of Hylan yes? If so, probably tad closer to the New Dorp Lane SIR station.

78 &/or 79 best way there it sounds like. Alternative ways there & back for folks are taxicabs &/or getting lifts. Anyone driving there will probably have to park in ShopRite`s parking lot.

I'll have to check the posters on the bus today. I'm not 100% sure that it is at the Excelsior Grand. All I remember is that it said that it is near the S51, 78, and S79 routes.

That is the point of +SBS+: To run all day (though not 24/7)

The initial cost for the Bx12 +SBS+ was something like $10-$15 million, with something like a $1 million-$2 million increase in operating costs. However, ridership increased by roughly 5,000 daily riders, which means that they'll break even after a few years as far as the costs go.

The S53 and S79 limiteds probably would save money anyway, so you can't say "apply the savings to creating an S79 limited".

I agree with the bus lanes, considering how many routes use Hylan Blvd.

The S53 ridership can fluctuate past Victory Blvd and it really depends on when you ride it. There are a lot of people that connect with the S53 at Forest Avenue, but usually it depends on whether the buses connect right away otherwise the bus may come up to Victory not as crowded. While I don't ride it a ton, I have certainly seen an increase in the number of folks using it even when folks aren't connecting with buses past Victory Blvd. A good number of the riders are Latinos past Forest Avenue and that population is growing steadily, particularly the Mexican population and keeping Port Richmond somewhat vibrant. Also, remember that the X16 was cut, and some folks that used that now take the S53 down to Hylan Blvd or the service road to connect to other express buses.

I assume you're referring to the S53? Actually outside of rush hour yes, it could use a few extra runs here and there as LRG said. As the weather gets warmer though, there is a substantial increase in usage on the S53, so service should be bumped up accordingly. During rush hour actually, service between 08:00 and 09:00 could be increased to every 8 minutes instead of every 10 at all times. The buses are packed by the time they reach Forest Avenue where I sometimes get on if I get out late and can't catch the last X30. I would argue that there is certainly enough ridership past Victory Blvd to warrant limited stop service at least Monday through Saturday. Limited stop service could run until say 21:00 or 22:00 towards Port Richmond and it would certainly get good usage because you not only have folks from Brooklyn, but also many express bus riders use it too because it connects with the Hylan Blvd lines as well as the service road express buses, not to mention the SIR at Grasmere station. Part of the issue with the local buses on Staten Island is that they require a significant amount of time just to get off of Staten Island which could be reduced significantly with more limited stop service.

I actually couldn't catch any express bus last Saturday night because I left from a party so late and had to take the S53 from Bay Ridge. At 04:00 in the morning that bus was packed. It wasn't SRO but just about every seat was filled which was amazing IMO and shows how well the line is used.

As LRG said, I think limited stop service on the S79 would work wonders. SBS isn't a must and while it would be nice to some degree, it may cause too many problems, so it would be best to have that rather than nothing at all.

I couldn't agree more myself!! That post is spot on. Take that money and use it to run the S79 24/7 as it should be and increase the frequencies on the S53 and give it limited stop service as well. The problem with the (MTA) is they could improve service on Staten Island without spending tons of money and for some reason or another they refuse to do so.

See my post above about "applying the money to the S53/S79 limited".

Also, just because a bus has a seated load at its busiest point doesn't necessarily mean it is "well-used". A lot of the overnight routes on SI are like that (they have a seated load at the SI Ferry Terminal). Now, if it had a seated load with some turnover at major stops, that would be different.

I've been riding the S53 for years now & it's ridership is more inline with a Brooklyn route than a SI route. I rode on S53s that are packed at anytime of the day, even 2am and 4am but the worse time is the rush hours and around noon because there is no limited and it takes over an hour sometimes between Forest & Broadway and brooklyn as it's stopping at every single stop. Staten Island could receive all the newest buses in the world but it's service will always be sorely lacking.

Also, just because a bus has a seated load at its busiest point doesn't necessarily mean it is "well-used". A lot of the overnight routes on SI are like that (they have a seated load at the SI Ferry Terminal). Now, if it had a seated load with some turnover at major stops, that would be different.

I should note that I've been using the S53 now for over 10 years, so I think I have a good idea of how the line is used and what it needs. As SI North pointed out, it's ridership is more in line with a Brooklyn route. It connects with every other important form of transportation on Staten Island and has the highest ridership out of all of the local lines on the island, so if that doesn't justify limited stop service, then I don't know what does. The line also does have turnover. You get turnover at Hylan and Clove, at the Grasmere train station and Targee St and the Richmond Rd stops, at Victory Blvd and Clove and at Forest and Broadway to name a few. That doesn't include the fact that it stops at practically every stop along the way with people getting off and on. It also provides service to the hospital there in West Brighton and runs near shopping areas as well as residential areas, so you have all types of folks with different needs using it as opposed to the typical ferry bus lines.

I saw a flier on Friday (on both the S44 and S89) advertising a meeting regarding the S79 +SBS+ proposal.

I don't quite remember what it said, but I know it said that there was a meeting on June 8th. I remember it said that it was accessable by the S51, as well as the Hylan Blvd bus routes, so I'm pretty sure the meeting is being held at the Excelsior Grand (located at 2380 Hylan Boulevard in New Dorp). I'm not sure of the time, but I'm 99% sure it is in the evening.

I'm going to try to see if the notice is up tomorrow, but I posted this so everybody could look out for the flier advertising the meeting.

I saw the poster today: It said it was in the Regency Room at the Renaissance, which is located at Hylan Blvd/Bedford Avenue (2131 Hylan Blvd to be exact).

The meeting will run from 7:00PM to 8:30PM, and there will be a presentation at 7:15PM.

So it is NOT at the Excelsior Grand.

I've been riding the S53 for years now & it's ridership is more inline with a Brooklyn route than a SI route. I rode on S53s that are packed at anytime of the day, even 2am and 4am but the worse time is the rush hours and around noon because there is no limited and it takes over an hour sometimes between Forest & Broadway and brooklyn as it's stopping at every single stop. Staten Island could receive all the newest buses in the world but it's service will always be sorely lacking.

In terms of crowding, yes it is like a Brooklyn route, but in terms of ridership, it is still below the average Brooklyn route. Part of it is due to the Verrazanno-Narrows Bridge being 2 miles long, but it does have less turnover than the average NYC route.

I should note that I've been using the S53 now for over 10 years, so I think I have a good idea of how the line is used and what it needs. As SI North pointed out, it's ridership is more in line with a Brooklyn route. It connects with every other important form of transportation on Staten Island and has the highest ridership out of all of the local lines on the island, so if that doesn't justify limited stop service, then I don't know what does. The line also does have turnover. You get turnover at Hylan and Clove, at the Grasmere train station and Targee St and the Richmond Rd stops, at Victory Blvd and Clove and at Forest and Broadway to name a few. That doesn't include the fact that it stops at practically every stop along the way with people getting off and on. It also provides service to the hospital there in West Brighton and runs near shopping areas as well as residential areas, so you have all types of folks with different needs using it as opposed to the typical ferry bus lines.

It doesn't provide service to St. Vincent's Hospital. That's further east on Bard Avenue.

By the way, the Forest Avenue stop hardly has any turnover. Hardly anybody travels between Port Richmond and Forest Avenue.

I saw the poster today: It said it was in the Regency Room at the Renaissance, which is located at Hylan Blvd/Bedford Avenue (2131 Hylan Blvd to be exact).

The meeting will run from 7:00PM to 8:30PM, and there will be a presentation at 7:15PM.

In terms of crowding, yes it is like a Brooklyn route, but in terms of ridership, it is still below the average Brooklyn route. Part of it is due to the Verrazanno-Narrows Bridge being 2 miles long, but it does have less turnover than the average NYC route.

It doesn't provide service to St. Vincent's Hospital. That's further east on Bard Avenue.

By the way, the Forest Avenue stop hardly has any turnover. Hardly anybody travels between Port Richmond and Forest Avenue.

That is certainly not true. That just depends on when you're using it and I'm sure SI North can attest to that since he lives further north past Forest Avenue.

There are several clinics on Clove Road near Bard Avenue that the S53 serves. The hospital I was thinking of was Richmond University Medical Center. It isn't a main hospital there, but they do have some sort of clinic or something there that patients do use because I see a lot of folks going to the doctor that get off there and then there some sort of clinic right there on Clove Road as well.

That is certainly not true. That just depends on when you're using it and I'm sure SI North can attest to that since he lives further north past Forest Avenue.

There are several clinics on Clove Road near Bard Avenue that the S53 serves. The hospital I was thinking of was Richmond University Medical Center. It isn't a main hospital there, but they do have some sort of clinic or something there that patients do use because I see a lot of folks going to the doctor that get off there and then there some sort of clinic right there on Clove Road as well.

I phrased that wrong. There are still a lot of people on the bus north of Forest Avenue, but I'm saying that very few people get on at Forest Avenue looking to go to Port Richmond.

But isn't RUMC the hospital on Bard Avenue? My point was that it it doesn't directly serve the hospital: It is roughly a 10 minute walk east.

I phrased that wrong. There are still a lot of people on the bus north of Forest Avenue, but I'm saying that very few people get on at Forest Avenue looking to go to Port Richmond.

But isn't RUMC the hospital on Bard Avenue? My point was that it it doesn't directly serve the hospital: It is roughly a 10 minute walk east.

But that's inmaterial though. The S53 is really the only bus that serves that immediate area once you go past Forest Avenue until you reach Victory Blvd, so if they want to get there and don't have a car they're going to use the bus. Aside from that there are is another clinic there on Clove Rd that is within steps from an S53 bus stop which people do use. Also, comparing a Staten Island line in terms of ridership to a Brooklyn bus is just ridiculous. You are talking about a borough like Brooklyn which has a population that is at least 4 times that of Staten Island and it is the most populated borough, so of course the ridership in Brooklyn would be far higher and that's without factoring in the fact that Staten Island is more car centric than Brooklyn.

If the (MTA) was basing limited stop service based solely on ridership numbers when compared to other bus lines in the city, the S79 would not be a candidate, but clearly they understand that the borough has needs and the ridership numbers in comparison to the population on Staten Island do warrant the line getting at least limited stop service. If they can see that, then they would have to be blind not to see the need for limited stop service on the S53.

And as far as folks getting on at Forest and Broadway and going to Port Richmond, just look across the street and see all of the people going to Bay Ridge. Tons of people get off at Forest and Broadway in both directions and with the terminus being relatively close going towards Port Richmond, it is only natural that they're wouldn't be as many people getting on there as opposed to across the street.

But that's inmaterial though. The S53 is really the only bus that serves that immediate area once you go past Forest Avenue until you reach Victory Blvd, so if they want to get there and don't have a car they're going to use the bus. Aside from that there are is another clinic there on Clove Rd that is within steps from an S53 bus stop which people do use. Also, comparing a Staten Island line in terms of ridership to a Brooklyn bus is just ridiculous. You are talking about a borough like Brooklyn which has a population that is at least 4 times that of Staten Island and it is the most populated borough, so of course the ridership in Brooklyn would be far higher and that's without factoring in the fact that Staten Island is more car centric than Brooklyn.

If the (MTA) was basing limited stop service based solely on ridership numbers when compared to other bus lines in the city, the S79 would not be a candidate, but clearly they understand that the borough has needs and the ridership numbers in comparison to the population on Staten Island do warrant the line getting at least limited stop service. If they can see that, then they would have to be blind not to see the need for limited stop service on the S53.

And as far as folks getting on at Forest and Broadway and going to Port Richmond, just look across the street and see all of the people going to Bay Ridge. Tons of people get off at Forest and Broadway in both directions and with the terminus being relatively close going towards Port Richmond, it is only natural that they're wouldn't be as many people getting on there as opposed to across the street.

You guys said specifically that the ridership is comparable to that of a Brooklyn route, and I was disputing that fact. Why or how the ridership is lower doesn't matter.

I was also disputing the fact that there was high turnover at Forest Avenue: Again why there isn't high turnover there doesn't matter.

By the way, if limited service was based on ridership alone, no SI route would have it (except for the S53 and S79).

I'm not disputing the fact that the S53 needs a limited: I'm just saying that the ridership isn't up to par with most limited routes.

You guys said specifically that the ridership is comparable to that of a Brooklyn route, and I was disputing that fact. Why or how the ridership is lower doesn't matter.

I was also disputing the fact that there was high turnover at Forest Avenue: Again why there isn't high turnover there doesn't matter.

By the way, if limited service was based on ridership alone, no SI route would have it (except for the S53 and S79).

I'm not disputing the fact that the S53 needs a limited: I'm just saying that the ridership isn't up to par with most limited routes.

Yeah, we were talking about it being comparable in how it functions, not in what it carries! That was the point that you missed. It has far more turnover than the average Staten Island bus.

And you are wrong about turnover at Forest Avenue. There is high turnover overall at Forest Avenue. I'm not sure what you're smoking but clearly you're not around at Forest Avenue during rush hours or that often when it has high usage.

Regarding your last comment, I think that's pretty obvious, but again you cannot always base what services are needed solely on ridership alone when you have a borough which has the smallest population. Our needs are far different from the other boroughs, so there is no point in comparing us to other boroughs.

I saw the poster today: It said it is in the Regency Room at the Renaissance, which is located at Hylan Blvd/Bedford Avenue (2131 Hylan Blvd to be exact).

I just doublechecked the Renaissance's location. It's on the west side of Hylan Blvd, the same side as Nunzio's. The best ways there are the 51, 78, 79, (81), and X-buses if coming from the city. Plus the Renaissance isn't a long walk from the Grant City SIR station. The Renaissance isn't too long a walk from the 74 & 76 on Richmond Rd either.

Yeah, we were talking about it being comparable in how it functions, not in what it carries! That was the point that you missed. It has far more turnover than the average Staten Island bus.

And you are wrong about turnover at Forest Avenue. There is high turnover overall at Forest Avenue. I'm not sure what you're smoking but clearly you're not around at Forest Avenue during rush hours or that often when it has high usage.

Regarding your last comment, I think that's pretty obvious, but again you cannot always base what services are needed solely on ridership alone when you have a borough which has the smallest population. Our needs are far different from the other boroughs, so there is no point in comparing us to other boroughs.

No, you were talking about what it carries (or at least SIR North Shore was). To quote him: "it's ridership is more inline with a Brooklyn route than a SI route"

I've been around Forest Avenue/Broadway plenty of times, and the turnover isn't that high. If there is high turnover, there should be a bunch of people getting off and a bunch of people getting on. At that stop, there are a bunch of people using that stop to go to/from Brooklyn, but there aren't a lot of people using that stop to go to/from Port Richmond.

I know you can't base the service off of ridership levels alone (I already said the S53 limited could be implemented for virtually nothing). But ridership (or rather, ridership patterns) is the largest factor in determining what services an area gets.

For example, if a route has ridership that is spread out all over the place, it wouldn't be a good candidate for a limited.

If a route doesn't have the ridership to support a high enough frequency to support a limited, it shouldn't get a limited.

No, you were talking about what it carries (or at least SIR North Shore was). To quote him: "it's ridership is more inline with a Brooklyn route than a SI route"

I've been around Forest Avenue/Broadway plenty of times, and the turnover isn't that high. If there is high turnover, there should be a bunch of people getting off and a bunch of people getting on. At that stop, there are a bunch of people using that stop to go to/from Brooklyn, but there aren't a lot of people using that stop to go to/from Port Richmond.

I said overall, meaning combining both stops...

Ridership doesn't necessarily refer to the number of riders. He also made the referene to people getting off and on at many stops.

Hardly anybody? I disagree with that because all too often the S53 shows up at Forest Av (and Castleton) packed to the brim with people. And you definitely haven't seen the morning rush, there's usually a line of people for every bus.

I know you like to go by the numbers but when you actually ride the buses out here, you see otherwise. Just wait until you're done with school and have to start traveling to different places at different times (hopefully you'll have a car!).

And like Via said, Staten Island's bus system works a lot differently from the other boroughs. There are a lot of people who depend on the bus system for various reasons and staten island bus ridership although lighter than the other 4 boros it's still higher than most cities in the country which have even better bus service.

I said overall, meaning combining both stops...

Ridership doesn't necessarily refer to the number of riders. He also made the referene to people getting off and on at many stops.

But that doesn't make sense. Turnover means that there group of people on the bus before it reaches the stop should be reasonably different than the group of people after it leaves the stop. Many of the people south of Forest Avenue are the same group of people that were on the bus north of Forest Avenue (plus the ones that got on at Forest Avenue)

Hardly anybody? I disagree with that because all too often the S53 shows up at Forest Av (and Castleton) packed to the brim with people.

I know you like to go by the numbers but when you actually ride the buses out here, you see otherwise. Just wait until you're done with school and have to start traveling to different places at different times (hopefully you'll have a car!).

And like Via said, Staten Island's bus system works a lot different from the other boroughs. There are a lot of people who depend on the bus system for various reasons and staten island bus ridership although lighter than the other 4 boros it's still higher than most cities in the country which have even better bus service.

OK. So answer this: Out of those people on the bus who are on at Castleton Avenue, how many of those get off at Forest Avenue? From what I've seen in the PM, it isn't too many of them.

Yes, I do ride the buses out here. I know that some things just aren't working out, and the MTA's numbers agree with that, but the MTA doesn't do anything to change it.

For example, my commute involves me taking the S44 or S89 to the S46/S96. Why is it that, for the most part, the Richmond Avenue buses only have a few standees at most, whereas the S46/S96 are filled to capacity (of course, people don't like moving to the back, but that's a different story). The MTA's numbers say that the S46/S96 have more riders, and yet they don't shift some of the service over there.

As far as the last comment goes, I know ridership patterns are different, but I don't think we should get increases in service just for being Staten Islanders. There are routes that have the demand to support improvements in service (like the S53), but the ones that don't should be left as they are.

But that doesn't make sense. Turnover means that there group of people on the bus before it reaches the stop should be reasonably different than the group of people after it leaves the stop. Many of the people south of Forest Avenue are the same group of people that were on the bus north of Forest Avenue (plus the ones that got on at Forest Avenue)

So now you're saying that there is no turnover even going south on Broadway towards Bay Ridge too?? Okay, I'm not sure what you're looking at but clearly you don't use the S53 as much as me and SI North do, or perhaps just not enough at different times.

As far as the last comment goes, I know ridership patterns are different, but I don't think we should get increases in service just for being Staten Islanders. There are routes that have the demand to support improvements in service (like the S53), but the ones that don't should be left as they are.

Where did you come to conclusion at? No one ever said that, you just put that in there. The point was that service should be conformed to meet the needs of each borough.

Archived