QueensBoro Plaza and Queens Plaza

HanTheGreat

Surely you can't deny that places like Junuis-Liviona or Broadway-Lorimer could benefit from such a transfer, right? I mean given the deficits, the MTA is not going to build a physical link between those stations.

The stations are so close together [and areas where there are no other stations close by that would offer such transfer options] that would really benefit riders overall.

And you could potentially ease crowding by taking off riders that would be taking a line because the next transfer would be in Manhattan or Queens.

Surely you can't deny that places like Junuis-Liviona or Broadway-Lorimer could benefit from such a transfer, right? I mean given the deficits, the MTA is not going to build a physical link between those stations.

The stations are so close together [and areas where there are no other stations close by that would offer such transfer options] that would really benefit riders overall.

And you could potentially ease crowding by taking off riders that would be taking a line because the next transfer would be in Manhattan or Queens.

Even just creating an OOS transfer at say Junuis/Liviona would 'pay for itself' after a short while. If the (MTA) really wants to cut on abuse & farebeating issues and save money(different topic)focus on areas where there lots of it starting with the (B46) bus.

Again, folks with unlimited Metro-Cards can ALREADY make such a transfer - if they need to.

Having been to those neighborhoods, and walked/seen the distances of the "so-called easy" transfer - some real money would have to be spent on a real in-system transfer pathway.

This means that you're left to argue that there are SO MANY riders with pay-per-ride cards that NEED to make that transfer, and that this group of riders is screaming and yelling for it.

Mike

Yeah, the position of the stations on a map is deceptive. The actual distance between the two stations, and where they're placed in regard to other buildings would make a heck of a difficult transfer to build. Not impossible by any means, but certainly inconvenient.

Even just creating an OOS transfer at say Junuis/Liviona would 'pay for itself' after a short while. If the (MTA) really wants to cut on abuse & farebeating issues and save money(different topic)focus on areas where there lots of it starting with the (B46) bus.

Exactly, the point of the MC transfer is to allow people to get from one subway line to another that are not physically connected. I mean it deducts that transfer a person would use to get on a bus. So the person is still likely going to pay again if they were to use a bus. Having a MC transfer is not going to change a thing reguarding people jumping over the turnstile to avoid paying.

For several years to reach work in Brooklyn, I transferred from the R-train at the Lawrence Street-MetroTech station to the A and C trains at the Jay Street-Borough Hall station. This was my "own out of system transfer" via a monthly unlimited MetroCard.

Although the station entrances are about one block apart, and the platforms are literally one on top of the other - for decades there was no connection between these two stations. This operation saved me a lot of time and hassle getting to and from Brooklyn and the South Ferry area.

Yes, I'm glad that a free transfer station was built, but a bit sad at losing the Lawrence Street name of the station. However now I work at a different site, and have no regular need of this transfer station - RATS! However even if the free transfer passageway had not been built, I still would have used my own out of system transfer method.

The folks that really, really need a transfer option that has not be built will find a way to accommodate their needs in a legal fashion.

Mike

The folks that really, really need a transfer option that has not be built will find a way to accommodate their needs in a legal fashion.

Mike

As true as this is, you do have to realize that for many riders, spending around $100 for an unlimited MetroCard just so that they can make a train-to-train transfer without spending another $2.25 doesn't sound appealing. Most riders don't even ride frequently enough for the savings of an unlimited card to work. If two lines don't connect easily but cross eachother (such as the (3)/(L) Junius/Livonia example that keeps being brought up, where the only other transfer is at 14 St/6 Av in Manhattan, why can't a OOS just be put?

As for the Queens/boro (7)(E)(M)(N)(Q)(R) issue, it's not worth it mainly because, as many have said, one on the QB line looking for a free (7) transfer can go to Court Sq (although that transfer is a tad bit long), and one on the QB looking for the (N)/(Q) can take the (R) one stop to Lex/59 (yes it's in Manhattan, but not too big).

Overall, the issue with OOS transfers such as those is simple -- they already have those kinds of transfers for busses, why not for trains (that don't have simple in-system transfers)?

So I guess your suggestion is that "subway to subway" transfers be implemented on the Pay-Per-Ride Metro-Cards?

If that is your suggestion: a) just say so, and B) it is a fine suggestion.

Why does the L and #3 train "transfer idea" often come up? One - it is an easy suggestion to make because it a) looks "obvious" from the subway map, B) has been listed many times in transit forums such as this, and c) it looks like it might not cost a lot of money. However as usual there are conditions on the ground - which is notice-able during an actual site visit that says a real physical connection might actually cost some real money.

Thus there is a push of "out of system" transfers which in theory are not supposed to cost much money. Since the MTA does not provide actual figures for how much money is actually involved in programming, preparing and implementing such "out of system" transfers as the 63rd Street-Lex, it appears that such transfers are "cost free" when they might not be. Thus making it easy for transit fans to propose such things - as if it is obvious.

However if you wish to propose that "Pay Per Ride" Metro-Cards have the ability to transfer from one subway line to another subway line, just as they do with buses - it is a fine suggestion.

Mike

The connection between these stations is so obvious that a physical connection should be at the top of the MTA's list of "station improvements for when we have money". Maybe even throw in an out-of-system transfer to the (F). Court Square isn't enough, it doesn't deal with the (N)(Q)(R).

Maybe even throw in an out-of-system transfer to the (F). Court Square isn't enough, it doesn't deal with the (N)(Q)(R).

Yeah how about no......Queens Plaza and Queensboro Plaza are much more closer than 21st Street-Queensbridge and plus there is a OOS transfer to the (N)(Q)(R) from (F) @ Lexington Avenue-63rd Street!

Yes, I'm glad that a free transfer station was built, but a bit sad at losing the Lawrence Street name of the station. However now I work at a different site, and have no regular need of this transfer station - RATS! However even if the free transfer passageway had not been built, I still would have used my own out of system transfer method.

RATS!! You stole my saying!!

j/k

While 2Timer you make a good comment below, still there are several places systemwide that still should have an OOS metrocard transfer that won't cost the (MTA) an arm and a leg. In near future when fiscal crisis is over the only new 'in-system' transfer not currently in construction,(i.e Bleecker-Houston) I would bulid is one between the (3) and (L) the Junuis-Liviona area. It would provide a growing Canarise area with access to the (3) West Side and (4)late evenings/overnights only to Downtown Brooklyn, most of Manhattan and the Bronx. And also take off crowding from the busy Broadway Junction station as well.

The following others should become OOS transfer stations.

Queens Plaza-Queensboro Plaza. As the others said connects Astoria Line 'N' 'Q' with the '7' to Jackson Heights, Corona and Flushing and QB 'E' F' 'R' 'M' with much of the boro.

Broadway-Lorimer Street (G)(J)(M) This is useful since on many weekends, the (G) is not running it's full route between Church Ave and Court Sq. Provides access to Jamaica Ave (J) and Myrtle Ave (M)stations and vice versa for (G) riders in Clinton Hill, Downtown Brooklyn, Caroll Gardens and Park Slope without having to back track to Lower Manhattan.

South Ferry/Whitehall-Bowling Green (R) (N)overnights only (1)(4)(5)

It's just at most 2 blocks connecting these '2' stations. It's already used during GO's when the (4) is not running to Brooklyn. Why not make it permament.

Just my takes.

Actually, I would be looking to re-open the old South Ferry Station and have it where the (5) terminates there on weekends and when not going to Brooklyn weekdays, the (6) overnights (extended there from BB), and at other times on weekdays (and also on weekend days and evenings when the (5) isn't running, but the (4) is to Brooklyn), a revival of the old Bowling Green-South Ferry (S), using the outer track at South Ferry (as opposed to the inner the last time that was done in the '70s). That can also allow for a free transfer to the Lexington line from the (1) and (R) ((N) overnights) at South Ferry, plus give those uncomfortable to walk on the streets, especially at night the ability to go directly to SF from the Lex Line.

I know this would mean would would have to be done at Bowling Green, but to me, that would would be worth doing for the long haul anyway.

Yeah how about no......Queens Plaza and Queensboro Plaza are much more closer than 21st Street-Queensbridge and plus there is a OOS transfer to the (N)(Q)(R) from (F) @ Lexington Avenue-63rd Street!

LMAO.... an OOS xfer from Queensboro plz to 21st st on the (F)....

just get off the (F) @ 47th-50th & xfer to the damn (M) & take it to Queens plz...

while we're at it, let's make an OOS xfer from Jay st - Borough hall to Jay st - Metrotech.....

Actually, I would be looking to re-open the old South Ferry Station and have it where the (5) terminates there on weekends and when not going to Brooklyn weekdays, the (6) overnights (extended there from BB), and at other times on weekdays (and also on weekend days and evenings when the (5) isn't running, but the (4) is to Brooklyn), a revival of the old Bowling Green-South Ferry (S), using the outer track at South Ferry (as opposed to the inner the last time that was done in the '70s). That can also allow for a free transfer to the Lexington line from the (1) and (R) ((N) overnights) at South Ferry, plus give those uncomfortable to walk on the streets, especially at night the ability to go directly to SF from the Lex Line.

I know this would mean would would have to be done at Bowling Green, but to me, that would would be worth doing for the long haul anyway.

NO matter how many times you post this on subchat or here, that is never going to happen. Give it up already.

That shuttle would be pointless. The walk is barely 2 blocks. Just walk up and walk over from the subway stop to the ferry terminal. They are not bringing back the shuttle.

Every one of those "out of system" transfers that have been proposed can be accomplished NOW by riders who use "unlimited Metro-Cards"!

Riders who feel that they would benefit from such a transfer operation - can do so by using an unlimited Metro-Card.

So what exactly is being proposed here? Official "out of system" transfers?

To propose that the old South Ferry Shuttle be re-opened is an indication that the travel troubles of Staten Island Ferry riders is completely mis-understood.

Since April 1974, when the Staten Island Ferry began its regular daytime, evening, weekend, and late-night-time schedule of 30 and 60 minute waits between boats. Missing the boat by even 1 minute means that one is penalized, often heavily by missing the boat!. Of course this schedule change occurred after a six month period of ZERO midnight hour service from midnight to 6am all under Mayor Koch. This raised the stakes for missing the boat, and being penalized for being a Staten Islander.

Waiting at the Bowling Green station for a South Ferry shuttle by folks who just have minutes to catch a boat is not going to happen, when those same people can simply WALK the distance in 3-4 minutes and actually catch that boat. That one major reason why plenty of ferry riders simply bolted the trains at Bowling Green to not miss the boats.

Any idea of re-opening the station with #5 trains completely ignores the problems of trying to service that small station, when the vast bulk of #4 and #5 ridership is trying to get to Brooklyn! That was why the shuttle was created in the first place a century ago - Brooklyn has huge amounts of ridership!

Would it have been nice during the construction of the New South Ferry terminal if the stations could have been connected? Yes, but it was not "necessary" and that's the difference.

This is beginning to feel like the dozens of fantasy subway maps that some folks create that try to connect each and every line, build fantastical new lines and other unrealistic stuff, etc.

Mike

LMAO.... an OOS xfer from Queensboro plz to 21st st on the (F)....

just get off the (F) @ 47th-50th & xfer to the damn (M) & take it to Queens plz...

while we're at it, let's make an OOS xfer from Jay st - Borough hall to Jay st - Metrotech.....

Thank you.....its always someone who don't travel that much into the City always comes up with the most ridiculous ideas!!

Archived