Rat bites woman at Chambers Street!

R68 Subway Car

No, that was pretty elitist, and it's still elitist. "Slobs?" Grow up.

I've been riding the subway since I was two years old, commuting absolutely everywhere. It's like the rest of New York: dirty to a suburban transplant, functional to a real New Yorker. The people who ride it are real New Yorkers, or if you prefer, "slobs." It's far from "filthy." Filthy is a pile of human waste on the sidewalk on a 102º day in July. Food left in the station is not filthy. Not by a long shot. The 6 train? Are you joking? I take that train every day and it's practically spotless. Of course, I don't think the man who avoids coming into contact with people to avoid dirtying his suit is the greatest judge on cleanliness.

Makes sense why you take the express bus. A fast mode of transportation where you don't need to bump into pesky poor people, or have to experience anything in New York besides suburban Staten Island and ritzy office buildings. Doubt there are any "filthy slobs" there.

Really? Food left on the subway or in the station is supposed to be the norm I suppose?? And as for the (6) train, I've ridden it on several occasions when it was certainly far from spotless. I've gotten on at various stops along the (6) (59th st, 33rd street and 42nd street) and there was trash all over the place and this was at various times during the day (afternoon and later on at night 23:30). The times that I've boarded at 77th or at 86th street though, I will admit that they were clean... As they should be.

And that (D) train... Good God... The most vile and unsanitary thing you want to step onto... The stench is unbelievable. Oh and Rockefeller Center (47-50 St) in the dead of Midtown... That station reeks of piss at the end there and then the (D) car is even worse... But yes, that's not filthy at all... :P The funny thing is the tourists generally don't use the subway either and instead use the bus or taxis... Tells you something about our subway system, so I'm not the only one that sees the filth and trash about. If that doesn't make it clear, then maybe the rats the size of my size 45-46 (12-13 US shoe) running on the platforms and feasting in the big black garbage bags seals the deal. :eek:

I can't believe what I'm reading about Zsa Zsa Jabroni here..;)Your the type of person I would love to see trapped on a Full packed Subway car....R68(D) or a R46 (A);):P Then see that train get held due to A Mechanical problem between stations:p:pI could see you now just gasping and having hives cause you can't take it no more.;)....Me on the other hand love stations and Trains like like ALL OF THEM:tup::tup: I'm a New Yorker and I can get through anything ,That also means packed trains and buses:tup: So you might want to start Packing up and heading towards BEL AIR you prissy little punk oHHH Really;)Oh It's TRUE wooooo:tup:

PS I hope they reinstate local buses on EXPRESS cuz you would go nuts on a Orion all the way home:)

Really? Food left on the subway or in the station is supposed to be the norm I suppose?? And as for the (6) train, I've ridden it on several occasions when it was certainly far from spotless. I've gotten on at various stops along the (6) (59th st, 33rd street and 42nd street) and there was trash all over the place and this was at various times during the day (afternoon and later on at night 23:30). The times that I've boarded at 77th or at 86th street though, I will admit that they were clean... As they should be.

And that (D) train... Good God... The most vile and unsanitary thing you want to step onto... The stench is unbelievable. Oh and Rockefeller Center (47-50 St) in the dead of Midtown... That station reeks of piss at the end there and then the (D) car is even worse... But yes, that's not filthy at all... ;) The funny thing is the tourists generally don't use the subway either and instead use the bus or taxis... Tells you something about our subway system, so I'm not the only one that sees the filth and trash about. If that doesn't make it clear, then maybe the rats the size of my size 45-46 (12-13 US shoe) running on the platforms and feasting in the big black garbage bags seals the deal. :eek:

1) Yes, we know the subways are dirty. You aren't sharing some ancient Chinese secret. When you axe a portion of your cleaning crew as part of cost-cutting moves, the trains and stations are bound to be a bit dingier. It doesn't mean the subway sucks.

2) If the tourists avoid the subway, then all those foreigners heading to tourist traps like the Statue of Liberty and the like are just figments of my imagination. Not everyone has your impossibly high standards for the subway system.

If you don't like the subway, stick to your damn express buses and stop bitching about the subway. And by the way, just because some people are disgustingly filthy, that doesn't make it the case for all the riders.

I can't believe what I'm reading about Zsa Zsa Jabroni here..;)Your the type of person I would love to see trapped on a Full packed Subway car....R68(D) or a R46 (A);):P Then see that train get held due to A Mechanical problem between stations:p:pI could see you now just gasping and having hives cause you can't take it no more.;)....Me on the other hand love stations and Trains like like ALL OF THEM:tup::tup: I'm a New Yorker and I can get through anything ,That also means packed trains and buses:tup: So you might want to start Packing up and heading towards BEL AIR you prissy little punk oHHH Really;)Oh It's TRUE wooooo:tup:

PS I hope they reinstate local buses on EXPRESS cuz you would go nuts on a Orion all the way home:)

LOL... I tried responding to this earlier on the express bus, but to no avail... :(

Well, as for your dreams, you can keep on dreaming because that will not happen. I've been using the subways long enough to know how the system works, so I know how to avoid getting on packed subways and waiting for the right time to take them. I always give myself extra time, so I am rarely in a rush. :cool:

As for the express bus, that's not a biggie. By then I'd probably be up in Riverdale somewhere, so even if there was no express bus in the typical sense as we know it today, I would still have MetroNorth, or I could just get a car. ;);)

As for the trains, I like most of them too... Just not the filth attached to them. :eek:

1) Yes, we know the subways are dirty. You aren't sharing some ancient Chinese secret. When you axe a portion of your cleaning crew as part of cost-cutting moves, the trains and stations are bound to be a bit dingier. It doesn't mean the subway sucks.

You mean "you" know they're dirty. Others are in denial. All I'm saying is stop trying to make it seem as if these rats are coming just because. All I was saying was that it is natural to have rats like this when you have this amount of filth in the system and it doesn't help to have folks leaving their food all around either. That is true of any system, regardless to where it is. The lack of cleaners is obviously excerbating the problem, so I don't see why there shouldn't be a call for less trash by way of implementing some changes about eating on the subways and so forth. I mean if the (MTA) claims they can't afford more cleaners, then how in the hell are they going to afford folks to come and kill the rats? Naturally fewer cleaners and more trash will mean more rats, so it's basically a cycle that you can't get around unless you lower the amount of trash in the system, or shell out more to hire cleaners and/or folks that deal with pest control. I would expect this woman to be suing the (MTA), so perhaps it would be cheaper for them to hire more cleaners and folks to deal with the rats as opposed to paying out lawsuits.

2) If the tourists avoid the subway, then all those foreigners heading to tourist traps like the Statue of Liberty and the like are just figments of my imagination. Not everyone has your impossibly high standards for the subway system.

I never said all of them don't use the subway, but you've got to be dreaming if you think more of them use the subway as opposed to the buses or taxis.

If you don't like the subway, stick to your damn express buses and stop bitching about the subway. And by the way, just because some people are disgustingly filthy, that doesn't make it the case for all the riders.

You're confusing dislike for criticism. I don't know why people get so damn bent out of shape when something is said about how the system can be improved. I mean really. It's no wonder the system is so far behind because no one ever believes that improvements are supposed to be made, and God forbid anyone criticize the system.... NOOOO... We can't do that because then that means that we hate the system, or we must be elitists. Get outta here with that. And none of you can use this eltist BS either because I RIDE the subway daily, so spare me. Just be real and stop trying to sugarcoat the situation, or would you be fine with having a rat bite you in the subway?

As for the last comment, I never said anything about all subway riders being slobs. I said the majority are, and that is speaking from observations, so nothing you can do about that. You know I'm not making it up, so your only come back is to call me an elitist and so forth. Yeah, right. LOL

You mean "you" know they're dirty. Others are in denial. All I'm saying is stop trying to make it seem as if these rats are coming just because. All I was saying was that it is natural to have rats like this when you have this amount of filth in the system and it doesn't help to have folks leaving their food all around either. That is true of any system, regardless to where it is. The lack of cleaners is obviously excerbating the problem, so I don't see why there shouldn't be a call for less trash by way of implementing some changes about eating on the subways and so forth. I mean if the (MTA) claims they can't afford more cleaners, then how in the hell are they going to afford folks to come and kill the rats? Naturally fewer cleaners and more trash will mean more rats, so it's basically a cycle that you can't get around unless you lower the amount of trash in the system, or shell out more to hire cleaners and/or folks that deal with pest control. I would expect this woman to be suing the (MTA), so perhaps it would be cheaper for them to hire more cleaners and folks to deal with the rats as opposed to paying out lawsuits.

Sure, you can hire more cleaners or ban food/drinks on the trains/platforms. However, you run into the problems of enforcement and/or payment. Recently, Governor Cuomo banned smoking on the LIRR and Metro-North platforms, but without proper enforcement of the new law, all that amounts to is posturing and pandering. And it'll be the same way with a food/drink ban. There will either not be enough transit cops around to ticket rule offenders or they'll be handling real issues that this relatively minor inconvenience will be ignored. Then there is the issue of paying for this, either the increase of transit cops or the station/train cleaners. This may be news to you, but the agency is broke. Any new expenses basically mean either a fare increase (usually across the board, which includes express buses) or service reductions (again, usually across the board). Which would you rather have, cheap train/bus service with smelly, dirty stations or slightly cleaner trains and buses, but at a much higher price?

You're confusing dislike for criticism. I don't know why people get so damn bent out of shape when something is said about how the system can be improved. I mean really. It's no wonder the system is so far behind because no one ever believes that improvements are supposed to be made, and God forbid anyone criticize the system.... NOOOO... We can't do that because then that means that we hate the system, or we must be elitists. Get outta here with that. And none of you can use this eltist BS either because I RIDE the subway daily, so spare me. Just be real and stop trying to sugarcoat the situation, or would you be fine with having a rat bite you in the subway?

I'm sure most people know there are problems with the entire agency, including the subway system, but as I've mentioned before, the (MTA) is broke. Bitching and moaning about it isn't going to change that fact. You want a better transit system? Complain to the people who can do something about it, you know, the legislature who controls the (MTA)'s finances, the same one who feels the agency can run on peanuts and be fine. Yeah, that one.

As to the issue at hand, you're right, I would be beyond pissed if a rat bit me. But you know what, I know that anything the (MTA) could do against the rat problem wouldn't do a damn thing. While I don't know a lot about other transit system in the country or around the world, I do know about this one. With so much of the subway directly under the streets and a large portion near bodies of water, it wouldn't matter what anyone did. You can ban eating and drinking in the subway; you can spray pesticides every ******* day and you know what? They'll still find a way to survive. There are probably so many crevices where they can hide, so many small holes where they can get in and out, that even if the (MTA) made a serious dent in the infestation, the rats would be back in due time.

And that's just underground. Who's to say they won't climb the stairs at an elevated station? What are you going to do then?

As for the last comment, I never said anything about all subway riders being slobs. I said the majority are, and that is speaking from observations, so nothing you can do about that. You know I'm not making it up, so your only come back is to call me an elitist and so forth. Yeah, right. LOL

Now, you're just splitting hairs here. Most? All? According to you, the majority of riders are "slobs" as you put it. And then you complain when people call you elitist. Well let me tell you something. You acting like you're better than everyone else, belittling subway riders, saying express buses don't have the problems the subways do; that's the very definition of elitist. Come back here with an official study on what riders do with their trash (one with all lines and all times, not just the trains you allegedly ride), then we can talk. Until then, stop acting like you're above everyone else simply because you take the express bus. And stop saying that all (excuse me, "most") riders are slobs just because you see some nasty, lazy people on your train.

@Yuki: Google it.

While I admit that the system is dirty, I have more important points to make. For example, someone expressed support for an eating ban on the subway. The problem is that the New York City Subway is the largest subway system in the world. The New York City Subway is not the damn Mickey Mouse Railroad at Disneyworld; expecting our subway system to be spotlessly clean is foolish. Also, the majority of subway riders ARE NOT slobs. There are some who deserve being called a slob, no doubt, but such people do not represent the majority of riders. Being a person who takes the subway Monday thru Friday from the Bronx to Brooklyn in order to get to school, I personally take offense, because to me, calling the majority of subway riders 'slobs' is the same as if I were being called a slob. These sort of elitist overtones, dictated from the express-bus armchair, show just precisely how New York City has turned from a city for everyone to a playground for the well-off and snobby. It's time to tune in to reality. It's time to wake up and smell the coffee. I've had it with the Bloomberg-style arrogance of some people. These are the same kind of people who want to rid NYC of those who make less than $125,000 and/or those who are non-white.

While I admit that the system is dirty, I have more important points to make. For example, someone expressed support for an eating ban on the subway. The problem is that the New York City Subway is the largest subway system in the world. The New York City Subway is not the damn Mickey Mouse Railroad at Disneyworld; expecting our subway system to be spotlessly clean is foolish. Also, the majority of subway riders ARE NOT slobs. There are some who deserve being called a slob, no doubt, but such people do not represent the majority of riders. Being a person who takes the subway Monday thru Friday from the Bronx to Brooklyn in order to get to school, I personally take offense, because to me, calling the majority of subway riders 'slobs' is the same as if I were being called a slob. These sort of elitist overtones, dictated from the express-bus armchair, show just precisely how New York City has turned from a city for everyone to a playground for the well-off and snobby. It's time to tune in to reality. It's time to wake up and smell the coffee. I've had it with the Bloomberg-style arrogance of some people. These are the same kind of people who want to rid NYC of those who make less than $125,000 and/or those who are non-white.

LOL... Who said anything about spotless clean? Anytime anyone says that subways are dirty people start saying that folks are expecting too much, yet on the same token people say something must be done about the increase in rats, so which is it? It seems like the simple solution here would be for folks to be courteous and take their sh*t with them when they leave, but let's be realistic. That's not going to happen. Quite frankly, there is nothing wrong with putting a food ban on the subways and making the fine $100.00 and doing random raids on the subways. The (MTA) could make up for some of the monies that they don't have very quickly and make the system cleaner in the process.

Now, you're just splitting hairs here. Most? All? According to you, the majority of riders are "slobs" as you put it. And then you complain when people call you elitist. Well let me tell you something. You acting like you're better than everyone else, belittling subway riders, saying express buses don't have the problems the subways do; that's the very definition of elitist. Come back here with an official study on what riders do with their trash (one with all lines and all times, not just the trains you allegedly ride), then we can talk. Until then, stop acting like you're above everyone else simply because you take the express bus. And stop saying that all (excuse me, "most") riders are slobs just because you see some nasty, lazy people on your train.

I stand by what I said... I said "most" and based on my observations that's what I see when I ride the subway, so I'm not going to downplay it just to sugarcoat things like you're trying to do. If folks were so offended then they would take more pride in the subway system. I most certainly don't leave as much as a newspaper on the subway when I ride it and I never said anything about the subway being spotless, BUT there is a certain level of pride that many straphangers clearly lack based on the amount of garbage that I see on the subway. I mean they seriously just leave sh*t around because they think they have someone else to pick up behind them and you know it's true. That's the real problem. Folks just lack common courtesy.

As for the express buses, we don't have the problem in terms tons of food being left behind for the most part, but we do have the occasional newspaper usually, but I'll take that any day over an entire meal being left behind on the subway or chicken bones on the floor.

Your attitude is basically saying that the situation with rats will only get worse and yes the (MTA) is broke, but that would also mean that they can't afford lawsuits either, which is exactly what is going to happen. I mean you can't just let this situation continue. This is at least the second incident where someone has come into very close contact with a huge rat and clearly this is a problem because this means that they're becoming more comfortable around humans and they're not running. Furthermore, rats are not going to stick around places where there is no food, so if folks stop leaving their sh*t around, there would be very little for them to feed on, so yes CLEANLINESS is important. The cleaner the better.

Oh and seeing that I ride the subways every week, how much should I actually ride before I come to the conclusion that most of the folks riding that I observe littering are slobs? Let's just look at Union Square and look at the sh*t load of Metrocards all over the floor or the folks hanging out in the station there littering about.

I agree on the fact that the biggest issue of the NYC subway is cleanliness. That's what I realized this year riding the subways every day for almost a month. But saying that cleanliness is an issue is different from making it sound like a third world country situation. Yes, cleanliness is important, but I wouldn't say that while I was in a train or a station I wouldn't dare touch anything. Trains themselves are actually pretty clean in my opinion. Apart from the occasional rat on the tracks or platforms and some trash on the tracks(mainly food and clothing(!)) I didn't find an issue. I think that what makes the system look dirty in some peoples' eyes is that it has low ceilings and is relatively dark, especially when compared to European subways. But, in my opinion, apart from Paris, London and Moscow European systems are pathetic when compared to NYC and even the aforementioned ones don't run 24/7 like NYC. With all the budget cuts it's natural that some services are gonna deteriorate, but overall I think the system has fared well. A rat biting a woman is admittedly "third world-like", but in a system this huge that's open constantly it's just a blip. Yes, I got uncomfortable when I saw rats on the tracks and especially on platforms, but that was mainly because I'm freakishly scared of them generally and they disgust me. But it's not like we have to generalize this, making it sound like it happens every day, so that people can think of the NYC subway as a literal rathole. Saying that the system is "so far behind" I believe is very unfair, since it is 100 years old and massive, reliable, frequent, functional and mostly clean I would say. As for the riders I'd say some of them are slobs, but that's the case in every big city. In Athens, I was on the bus one day and the person next to me smelled like crap literally, but I won't say that it means that the buses are not clean generally. And I believe that another reason for the rat infestation of the subway is that NYC, and especially Manhattan, has so many underground tunnels, such as sewers manholes etc. so, it's only natural. I believe the (MTA) has been doing its part in keeping the system clean. It could be cleaner, no question about that. But, isn't it always the case that nothing is perfect..

I agree on the fact that the biggest issue of the NYC subway is cleanliness. That's what I realized this year riding the subways every day for almost a month. But saying that cleanliness is an issue is different from making it sound like a third world country situation. Yes, cleanliness is important, but I wouldn't say that while I was in a train or a station I wouldn't dare touch anything. Trains themselves are actually pretty clean in my opinion. Apart from the occasional rat on the tracks or platforms and some trash on the tracks(mainly food and clothing(!)) I didn't find an issue. I think that what makes the system look dirty in some peoples' eyes is that it has low ceilings and is relatively dark, especially when compared to European subways. But, in my opinion, apart from Paris, London and Moscow European systems are pathetic when compared to NYC and even the aforementioned ones don't run 24/7 like NYC. With all the budget cuts it's natural that some services are gonna deteriorate, but overall I think the system has fared well. A rat biting a woman is admittedly "third world-like", but in a system this huge that's open constantly it's just a blip. Yes, I got uncomfortable when I saw rats on the tracks and especially on platforms, but that was mainly because I'm freakishly scared of them generally and they disgust me. But it's not like we have to generalize this, making it sound like it happens every day, so that people can think of the NYC subway as a literal rathole. Saying that the system is "so far behind" I believe is very unfair, since it is 100 years old and massive, reliable, frequent, functional and mostly clean I would say. As for the riders I'd say some of them are slobs, but that's the case in every big city. In Athens, I was on the bus one day and the person next to me smelled like crap literally, but I won't say that it means that the buses are not clean generally. And I believe that another reason for the rat infestation of the subway is that NYC, and especially Manhattan, has so many underground tunnels, such as sewers manholes etc. so, it's only natural. I believe the (MTA) has been doing its part in keeping the system clean. It could be cleaner, no question about that. But, isn't it always the case that nothing is perfect..

Well, the system is behind mainly because it suffered so much neglect for years, so there's no disputing that, even though it is over 100 years old.

As for the rat situation, we have always had rats on the tracks and even sometimes on the platforms, but from my personal observations, the situation is getting worse mainly because there is more trash around in general, be it more garbage bags being left in the stations because of less cleaners, or more trash on the subways and platforms because of less cleaners, so naturally less cleaners will mean dirtier subways and stations, which would explain the increase in rats. In reality, when you consider how many new subway cars are coming into the system, if it wasn't for that, the filth/rat situation could be a lot worse, so I guess in that sense we're a bit lucky.

As for riding the system, well that's nice that you've rode for a month, but I've been riding it for years, all the way back when the system was in terrible shape. Sure, improvements have been made since then, mainly with some station rehabs and new subway cars, but go out to some of the stations in the outer boroughs that are falling apart and I would say that we're very close to going back to the doom days. It's not just the rats, but the system is fragile in general, and with more cuts on the way, I don't see things getting any better unless the (MTA) can secure more funding for infrastructure projects.

I don't use the subway as my primary means of transportation and rely more so on buses (be it the express buses to the city, or the local buses in the city), so naturally my focus is on improving bus service. If it wasn't for that, believe me, I would be much more vocal about subway service.

As for riding the system, well that's nice that you've rode for a month, but I've been riding it for years, all the way back when the system was in terrible shape. Sure, improvements have been made since then, mainly with some station rehabs and new subway cars, but go out to some of the stations in the outer boroughs that are falling apart and I would say that we're very close to going back to the doom days. It's not just the rats, but the system is fragile in general, and with more cuts on the way, I don't see things getting any better unless the (MTA) can secure more funding for infrastructure projects.

I don't use the subway as my primary means of transportation and rely more so on buses (be it the express buses to the city, or the local buses in the city), so naturally my focus is on improving bus service. If it wasn't for that, believe me, I would be much more vocal about subway service.

When I say that I rode the subway every day, I mean 2 to 4 hours daily all the way from the beginning to the end of a line, including the outer boroughs, where I got of the train and took pictures. I've seen pictures of the 80s in nycsubway.org and elsewhere and I don't see any similarities between the situation now and the situation back then. Even with all the neglect over the years... And, in my opinion, buses in NYC aren't all that important compared to the subway. The passenger numbers and the increase/decrease in ridership speaks for itself. But, everyone is entitled to his own opinion.

When I say that I rode the subway every day, I mean 2 to 4 hours daily all the way from the beginning to the end of a line, including the outer boroughs, where I got of the train and took pictures. I've seen pictures of the 80s in nycsubway.org and elsewhere and I don't see any similarities between the situation now and the situation back then. Even with all the neglect over the years... And, in my opinion, buses in NYC aren't all that important compared to the subway. The passenger numbers and the increase/decrease in ridership speaks for itself. But, everyone is entitled to his own opinion.

lol... I certainly do... Decaying stations for one and a lack of money in the capital plan to fix stations going forward could very well lead to us going towards that situation... The Sea Beach line on the (N) is in terrible shape... Just about all of the stations out in Brooklyn on that line need to be re-done and the (R) as well. Thank God they re-did most of the stations on the (Q) line because that was also desperately needed.

As far as buses go, no question that the subway is more important, but the bus also has an importance as well, serving places that subways simply either don't or can't serve.

Well rehabilitation is going on. Regardless of how slow or fast the progress seems to be going, it is happening. Nobody can ignore that gringiness of the subway in general. Whether your preference of transportation is to use it or not, the fact still remains this place turns into a Hell if its not running.

Archived