2011-'12 NHL Thread

Shortline Bus

The NHL awards were pretty lame, though I did enjoy the Brendan Shanahan impersonation skits. I don't think Shanahan did though. :lol:

As for the work stoppage possibility, it may happen because the players don't want the NHL thinking they're running the show entirely. Aside from that the cap needs to be raised higher.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This NHL news and award selections presented by Geico. Well here are the winners in the major categories for the 2011-'12 season.

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=635385

Regular Season (Hart Trophy)MVP - Evgeni Malkin Pens

Vezina Trophy, goaltender - Henrik Lundqvist, Rangers

James Norris Memorial Trophy, defenseman - Erik Karlsson, Sens

Jack Adams Award, Coach of the Year - Ken Hitchcock, Blues

Calder Memorial Trophy, aka Rookie of the Year - Gabriel Landeskog, AVS

Meanwhile the rumors are flying that the league may take control of the Devils who just reached the Finals from troubled CEO Jeff Vanderbeek's ownership group. Not to mention another possible work stoppage as well. The NHL Player union has a new boss former MLB head Donald Fehr (infamous for the 1994 strike and the streiods era)so it might an issue. Why shut the NHL down when it took 2-3 years to recover from the lockout that canned the 2004-'05 season.

Not to mention the NHL is 'hot' now with their Stanley Cup last couple of years getting some of their highest tv ratings in US ever.

reactions?

I am not a hardcore fan of the NHL but i say this. Evgeni Malkin had a great season but how is Lundqvist not MVP? The Rangers may not have even made the playoffs without the "King." And I am not saying this as a Ranger fan either. The other selections for the 2012 NHL awards i have no problem with.

I am not a hardcore fan of the NHL but i say this. Evgeni Malkin hada great season but how is Lundqvist not MVP? The Rangers may not have even the playoffs without the "King." And I am not saying this as a Ranger fan either. The other selections for the 2012 NHL awards i have no problem with.

Probably the thought process was that Lundqvist had a strong defense in front of him. Malkin on the other hand almost carried the Penguins. The Penguins were hit pretty bad by injuries... Crosby, Staal and a few other key players were out and Malkin pretty much went out and elevated his game a notch which for him is saying something since he is already a world class player. Besides, Lundqvist got the Vezina, so it isn't like his play wasn't recognized.

Probably the thought process was that Lundqvist had a strong defense in front of him. Malkin on the other hand almost carried the Penguins. The Penguins were hit pretty bad by injuries... Crosby, Staal and a few other key players were out and Malkin pretty much went out and elevated his game a notch which for him is saying something since he is already a world class player. Besides, Lundqvist got the Vezina, so it isn't like his play wasn't recognized.

I know Goalies have won the NHL regular season MVP. However, i think they don't get enough "props" and respect in being considered and selected more. Just like in baseball where for 1st time in 25 years last season in 2011, the Tigers Justin Vadelander became the 1st pitcher in MLB to win the regular season MVP. Or even in the NFL, Quaterbacks win the MVP most of the time and Defensive players only on occasion.

I know baseball pitchers, NFL defensive players and hockey goalies are APPLES GRAPES AND ORANGES different. With that said though they can make or break teams chances to winning a championship.

I know Goalies have won the NHL regular season MVP. However, i think they don't get enough "props" and respect in being considered and selected more. Just like in baseball where for 1st time in 25 years last season in 2011, the Tigers Justin Vadelander became the 1st pitcher in MLB to win the regular season MVP. Or even in the NFL, Quaterbacks win the MVP most of the time and Defensive players only on occasion.

I know baseball pitchers, NFL defensive players and hockey goalies are APPLES GRAPES AND ORANGES different. With that said though they can make or break teams chances to winning a championship.

Well if the Rangers had lost either Gaborik or Richards, then he probably would've gotten it, but the Rangers were pretty healthy overall which made a big difference on how much they needed Lundqvist.

• 1 month later...

It's a done deal and a win for the Rangers. Dubinsky struggled mightily last year and while he has great work ethic, I don't see him putting up serious points anytime soon. Columbus lost in this one... They seriously need to go out and get some scoring, as they have nothing right now.

It's a done deal and a win for the Rangers. Dubinsky struggled mightily last year and while he has great work ethic, I don't see him putting up serious points anytime soon. Columbus lost in this one... They seriously need to go out and get some scoring, as they have nothing right now.

The Blue Jackets are now the worst run team of the '4' major sports i.e MLB, NFL, NBA and of course NHL. I think they made the playoffs 1x in their nearly 15 year history. Considering how bad they been their attendence has not been terrible.

If the NHL had to contract, Columbus Ohio is one location (along with the Islanders)that would go in my view.

The Blue Jackets are now the worst run team of the '4' major sports i.e MLB, NFL, NBA and of course. I think they made the playoffs 1x in their nearly 15 year history. Considering how bad they been their attendence has not been terrible.

If the NHL had to contract, Columbus Ohio is one location (along with the Islanders)that would go in my view.

Don't get me wrong, they're solid on defensive, but they've got NO scoring!!

Don't get me wrong, they're solid on defensive, but they've got NO scoring!!

You know the Blue Jackets better than me so ok lol. Seriously what up with all these trades/free agenst signings? Does not the league know they could be heading for a work stoppage right before start of the 2012-'13 season in the fall. Also with Donald Fehr in the mix as new NHL players union boss, it could get nasty.

You know the Blue Jackets better than me so ok lol. Seriously what up with all these trades/free agenst signings? Does not the league they could be a work stoppage right before start of the 2012-'13 season in the fall. Also with Donald Fehr in the mix as new NHL players union boss, it could get nasty.

Like Tokkemon said... It's the off season and this is the new era with the salary cap. Very competitive league now...

It's the off-season. There's always trades on the off-season. This is normal.

There won't be a stoppage. They will not risk another 2004. Ever again.

Wow! I am a dummy and did not know that i.e trades/free agent signings :o ! (Not)

Seriously i meant why they are trades when a new CBA contract/salary cap rules could impact the teams that dealing this off season? That in addition to the possible work stoppage. In the recent NFL and NBA work stoppages there was basically no trades at all. That my point.

• 3 weeks later...

While here in US, the sports media is focused on the last couple of days of the London Olympics, the MLB playoff races and NFL Trainning Camps, there a huge story that must be a big deal in Canada.

NHL Boss Gary Bettman just annouced today that if a new CBA with it's players is not made by Sept. 15, they will lock out the players.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2012-08-09/nhl-labor-talks/56916770/1

Not really. This is the default position for the leauge. They won't work without a contract.

Now, if Bettman decides to cancel an entire season again, heads will roll, and I don't just mean his, but the fans will literally cry bloody murder.

Not really. This is the default position for the leauge. They won't work without a contract.

Now, if Bettman decides to cancel an entire season again, heads will roll, and I don't just mean his, but the fans will literally cry bloody murder.

I would have to agree with you... When the last lockout occurred I was living in Europe, so I didn't feel the loss per se, but to have one now would be quite annoying. DirecTV actually sent me a notice the other day talking about what would happen with my subscription if a lockout occurred. <_<

I admit I dont know the NHL as well as the NFL NBA and MLB. IMO there will be a lockout. However it wont be long and end similar to the recent NBA work stoppage there with a settlement say a 50-60 game season. Season will start by no later than New Years Day's 2013 Winter Classic in Detroit. A big factor unlike in 2004-'05 is NBC/Comcast now a huge player in the CBA talks. We all remember that both parties signing a recent $2 Billion TV contract extension for 10 years until end of 2021 Stanley Cup Finals. The NHL is the current signature sport for NBC Sports Net and Comcast's boses will be screaming if there a chance for a cancelled season since they show NHL games in regular season 2-3 nights a week.

I could be wrong but dont underestimate guys these league tv partners paying Billions these days a factor in this situation. IMO the only reason the 2011 NBA and NFL lockouts did not last longer, was because of pressure from their tv partners. Same things here IMO will happen with NBC/Comcast and NHL.

I admit I dont know the NHL as well as the NFL NBA and MLB. IMO there will be a lockout. However it wont be long and end similar to the recent NBA work stoppage there with a settlement say a 50-60 game season. Season will start by no later than New Years Day's 2013 Winter Classic in Detroit. A big factor unlike in 2004-'05 is NBC/Comcast now a huge player in the CBA talks. We all remember that both parties signing a recent $2 Billion TV contract extension for 10 years until end of 2021 Stanley Cup Finals. The NHL is the current signature sport for NBC Sports Net and Comcast's boses will be screaming if there a chance for a cancelled season since they show NHL games in regular season 2-3 nights a week.

I could be wrong but dont underestimate guys these league tv partners paying Billions these days a factor in this situation. IMO the only reason the 2011 NBA and NFL lockouts did not last longer, was because of pressure from their tv partners. Same things here IMO will happen with NBC/Comcast and NHL.

While this is true, the players want to show that they run the show... In fact they were the main reason why the proposed realignment didn't take place, so are clearly flexing their muscles yet again.

Well I suppose they were trying to harken back to the pre-1993 days before they did their last realignment into six divisions. Pre-1993 there were four divisions not necessarily organized by geography but team original (NHL or WHL). But there was also four fewer teams (that the right count?).

Archived