2011-'12 NHL Thread

Shortline Bus

The only reason why the hockey finals have been on NBC Sports Network is because of NBC is incredibly stupid when it comes to their ratings (and getting advertisers on the network). At least it seems they've learned their lesson as Games 5 & 6 are on the main network. However, one would think that, with everything being in reruns because it's summer (or worse, cancelled because of the network's inability to actually keep something besides Law and Order on the network), all of the games would've been on NBC proper.

Actually this isn't new with the NHL Stanley Cup games 3 & 4 being on cable... It's been that way for years... Games 1 & 2 on TV, 3 & 4 on cable and then 5 - 7 on TV. Dunno why either.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually I'm not. I was just basing my comment on stuff that's pretty much common knowledge. I'm just not seeing the logic in creating another sports channel when the primary name brand doesn't have the rights to many sports, or the option to get any more, in the first place. Besides, most of the sports that are actually on NBCSN are already on their own niche channels so it isn't like there was this demand that wasn't previously being sated.

Never thought i say it from say 30 years ago growing up in Brooklyn when we only has ABC, NBC, CBS and of course Ch.5(Fox was not created yet)9 and 11. There now too many damn channels on TV.

And Lance great point. Comcast really needs to try to get more "legit" sports such as *cough cough* one of the cable packages for MLB Baseball if they want to be in more homes. And you right other than the NHL and Olympics, does NBCSN really need to exist?

Actually this isn't new with the NHL Stanley Cup games 3 & 4 being on cable... It's been that way for years... Games 1 & 2 on TV, 3 & 4 on cable and then 5 - 7 on TV. Dunno why either.

VG8 while i agree all of the Cup Finals should be on free tv (NBC in the US) it's better than say less than 20 years ago. As i stated between before1981-1994 NONE of the CUP Finals games were on "Free National TV" i.e CBS, NBC or ABC at the time. In US the Cup Finals was only on either ESPN or the local markets tv/cable in US teams that made the Finals. i.e MSG & Ch.9 in NYC=Rangers Prime Ticket(now Fox Sports Net=LA Kings, etc. was shown besides ESPN) so this set up though not perfect is much better than prior to 1995.

And even say between 1966-1980 only a couple of Cup Finals games was on National TV in US either on NBC or on CBS usually game 1, and 6-7.

VG8 while i agree all of the Cup Finals should be on free tv (NBC in the US) it's better than say less than 20 years ago. As i stated between before1981-1994 NONE of the CUP Finals games were on "Free National TV" i.e CBS, NBC or ABC at the time. In US the Cup Finals was only on either ESPN or the local markets tv/cable in US teams that made the Finals. i.e MSG & Ch.9 in NYC=Rangers Prime Ticket(now Fox Sports Net=LA Kings, etc. was shown besides ESPN) so this set up though not perfect is much better than prior to 1995.

And even say between 1966-1980 only a couple of Cup Finals games was on National TV in US either on NBC or on CBS usually game 1, and 6-7.

I'm just saying that it has been this way for years to the others saying that all NHL Stanley Cup games should be on TV. I'm used to the set up to be honest. Doesn't bother me since I have the channels and I just sort of accept it as is, but I can see why others are complaining.

I'm just saying that it has been this way for years to the others saying that all NHL Stanley Cup games should be on TV. I'm used to the set up to be honest. Doesn't bother me since I have the channels and I just sort of accept it as is, but I can see why others are complaining.

While they are being added and expanding, NBC Sports Net is still not available in dozens of digital outlets (compared to ESPN which available in every cable home in America)so those are the Diehard and Causal NHL fans that screaming about it.

Never thought i say it from say 30 years ago growing up in Brooklyn when we only has ABC, NBC, CBS and of course Ch.5(Fox was not created yet)9 and 11. There now too many damn channels on TV.

And Lance great point. Comcast really needs to try to get more "legit" sports such as *cough cough* one of the cable packages for MLB Baseball if they want to be in more homes. And you right other than the NHL and Olympics, does NBCSN really need to exist?

The problem is there are so many sports dominated channels, NBC really missed the boat. I just don't see the point in having another sports channel and NBC doing as poorly as it is, they really should start consolidating some of their channels. Like I could see them taking USA or SYFY and merging them with NBCSC and do what TBS has: regular sitcoms/movies and sports. If the sport takes up more time than needed, they can choose to preempt the show or continue the game on the sister channel.

The problem is there are so many sports dominated channels, NBC really missed the boat. I just don't see the point in having another sports channel and NBC doing as poorly as it is, they really should start consolidating some of their channels. Like I could see them taking USA or SYFY and merging them with NBCSC and do what TBS has: regular sitcoms/movies and sports. If the sport takes up more time than needed, they can choose to preempt the show or continue the game on the sister channel.

Concourse you right. Comcast could have went in that direction as well and say merge NBCSN with USA and create a rival to the very succesful TBS/TNT channels that mixes drama/sitcoms and sports i.e NBA, MLB and NCAA College Basketball Tournment.

Other than the NHL, MLS soccer and the Olympics every 2 years (either summer or winter)NBCSN does not have enough sports programming right now to be a sole 24/7 sports channel. You can only show fishing, boxing and other secondary "Sports" with a tier market and get so much viewers. In sense that why in the late 1990's Fox Sports Net failed as the challenger to ESPN as the 2nd national 24/7 sports channel.

Unless they get a piece of the next MLB Cable TV contract, not sure if NBCSN could make it.

History for the Kings tonight:

1. This is the first Cup for this franchise, becoming the third team since the lockout to win their first.

2. At forty-five seasons, they become the oldest NHL franchise to win their first Stanley Cup.

3. The Kings won sixteen games, ten of them on the road in a row.

4. They become the first team to clinch the Cup on home ice since the 2006-'07 Anaheim Ducks.

5. As an eight seed, they become the lowest seed to win the Cup, surpassing the 1994-'95 Devils (the five seed).

6. Jonathan Quick becomes the sixteenth goalie to win the Conn Smythe Trophy.

This was such an impressive run by the LA Kings. Firing their first coach in the middle of the season, they squeaked into the playoffs as the eight seed and faced a powerful Canucks team in the Quaterfinals. They were written off quickly in favor of the powerhouses of the NHL. However, the Los Angeles Kings had a magnificent core who believed they can win. At the right time, they clicked and began knocking on the door.

Of all the teams, the Kings wanted to prove that hockey was going to click in Los Angeles, something that hasn't happened since the early-1990s when Wayne Gretzky played for them.

Tonight…

glassslipper.jpg

…The glass slipper fits.

They wanted to prove and were the most hungry. This hunger helped lead this team towards their first Stanley Cup, and they absolutely deserve it. Well done!

This year felt a heck of a lot like 2006 when the Ducks won the cup sans all the crappy hockey in the playoffs elsewhere.

You may hit to say it but IMO the Kings Stanley Cup run is more similar to the Giants 2007 and 2011 Super Bowl wins. A good team that hit with injuries mid season. Then they got hot in the playoffs and won it all.

Congratulations to the Kings... At least a talented team won. I said before that when I saw the guys that they acquired in the offseason last year that I thought they had a good team. It was puzzling earlier on as to why they couldn't score, but they went out and took a chance with getting Jeff Carter which was a gamble that paid off due to the chemistry that Richards and Carter had in Philadelphia. I also felt that this was Carter and Richards' opportunity to give a big F-you to the Flyers organization. What they did was out and out disrespectful and I actually was pissed about the trades made when I heard about them. Now the Flyers do have some great wingers in Giroux, Van Riemsdyk, Brière and Hartnell to mention a few, but I still thought it was a bad move. It's nice to see two guys like Richards and Carter get redemption after losing in the finals with the Flyers.

To VG8 and others. Just 2-3 weeks ago the Local LA media (tv, talk shows and papers)did not give a crap about the Kings. Now that they won, everyone is on the bandwagon lol. Including reporters who probably can not tell the difference between icing and a clothing line lol. Thankfully it was 'peaceful' after the Kings won last night. Check out what this local ABC-TV LA reporter is dressed in lol.

http://abclocal.go.c...905&pid=8697897

LOL... :lol: Well for all Bettman wants to say about the game and prop it up as he did last night, the sport has a long way to go before it becomes "the thing" to talk about. If some sort of dynasty was formed in LA, which I don't see happening because of the new salary cap issues, then perhaps it could be a possibility.

I mentioned it because it came up last night on NHL Network and a few other places. And yes they don't exist due to the salary cap restructuring...

I doubt myself they can win 2-3 Stanley Cups in a row as it's almost impossible now to due in the salary cap era. However the Kings can be a "contender" for the next 4-5 years(i.e NJ Devils style) if everyone stays healthy and they find to keep most of their players unlike the Blackhawks.

And if anyone cares, the parade in Downtown LA for the Kings is this Thursday June 14. Local officals predict it may attract up to 1 Million people. That would be close to the last Lakers parade in 2010.

Show how 'Big" the LA Kings winning the cup has been.

1)Stories on entertainment news shows i.e "ET" "Access Hollywood" "extra' to name a few.

2)players including playoff MVP John Quick going on Jay Leno's "Tonight Show" and ABC's "Jimmy Kimmel" show.

a)Jimmy Kimmel 6/12/12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd4Bzy5ysTg

3)Huge parade that is expected to draw at least 1 million on Thursday 6/14/12. So winning does help lol.

I doubt myself they can win 2-3 Stanley Cups in a row as it's almost impossible now to due in the salary cap era. However the Kings can be a "contender" for the next 4-5 years(i.e NJ Devils style) if everyone stays healthy and they find to keep most of their players unlike the Blackhawks.

And if anyone cares, the parade in Downtown LA for the Kings is this Thursday June 14. Local officals predict it may attract up to 1 Million people. That would be close to the last Lakers parade in 2010.

They may be able to have a few more runs because from my understanding they are deep in terms of guys waiting to come up in the system or in drafts.

This NHL news and award selections presented by Geico. Well here are the winners in the major categories for the 2011-'12 season.

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=635385

Regular Season (Hart Trophy)MVP - Evgeni Malkin Pens

Vezina Trophy, goaltender - Henrik Lundqvist, Rangers

James Norris Memorial Trophy, defenseman - Erik Karlsson, Sens

Jack Adams Award, Coach of the Year - Ken Hitchcock, Blues

Calder Memorial Trophy, aka Rookie of the Year - Gabriel Landeskog, AVS

Meanwhile the rumors are flying that the league may take control of the Devils who just reached the Finals from troubled CEO Jeff Vanderbeek's ownership group. Not to mention another possible work stoppage as well. The NHL Player union has a new boss former MLB head Donald Fehr (infamous for the 1994 strike and the streiods era)so it might an issue. Why shut the NHL down when it took 2-3 years to recover from the lockout that canned the 2004-'05 season.

Not to mention the NHL is 'hot' now with their Stanley Cup last couple of years getting some of their highest tv ratings in US ever.

reactions?

Archived