2011-'12 NHL Thread

Shortline Bus

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Due or die for the Blueshirts. Tonight 5/25/12 marks the 18th anniversary of the most famous "gurantee" of a playoff win(this side of "Broadway Joe" in Super Bowl for the Jets way back in 1969)of Mark Messier statement back in 1994. I think the Rangers will win this game (6) and force a game (7) on Sunday Night.

Game over! The Devils' Henrique scored in Overtime to beat the Rangers, 3-2, and win the series, four games to two. This is their fifth Eastern Conference championship.

For the first time since the one-to-eight-seed format began in 1994, a seed lower than fifth (the 1995 Devils) will be guaranteed to win the Stanley Cup. It'll be either the LA Kings (an eighth seed—no seed lower than third in the Western Conference has won the Cup) or the Devils. The Devils have won the Stanley Cup three times, their last one in 2003 against the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim. The Kings have never won it and are in the Finals for the second time in franchise history. Pick your team, people!

Now that the rangers are out of it, I don't care who wins.....

Only thing I'ma say is, the Devils playing the Kings will be like playing the Rangers with better offense.....

Now that the rangers are out of it, I don't care who wins.....

Only thing I'ma say is, the Devils playing the Kings will be like playing the Rangers with better offense.....

Me either. As Rangers fan of start of this season, if you told most Rangers fan they would lose in the Stanley Cup Semifinals, i bet 95%-plus would been thrilled. It been 15 years since they made the NHL East Finals. With that said, blueshirts 'blew' a golden chance to capture the cup in a down league for elite clubs i.e Crosby injuries with the Pens, Flyers goalie situation. Not often you get this close as Rangers had to winning it.

Back to rooting for Devils. Normally "family type thing" I root for clubs in metro nyc area even in their league final round i,e Mets, Giants, etc. even if i am not a fan of them to show Metro NYC/NJ has the best sports teams anywhere. I rooted for the Devils all of the time (except for '01 vs. the Avs and Ray Borque carrer ending title) but i am far from a NJ fan. However since the Devils have already won '3' teams, I am rooting for the LA Kings.

I still watch the Cup finals but it wont be 'must watch and appointment tv' as if the Rangers had made it. So following the NFL i.e Giants winning super bowl w/ 9-7 record and MLB Cardinals as wild card w/ only 90 regular season victories to win the 2011 World series, NHL will now have it's lowest ever seed in current format as RTS says.

My cup prediction. Devils in 6 games.

Looks like Lidstrom is set to retire tomorrow. As an Avs fan going back to the Wing/Avalanche rivalries, I always hated Detroit with a passion, but this is a sad day for the NHL. I'm going to watch missing him play much like I miss watching Joe Sakic or Peter Forsberg play.

Here a news story on the tv ratings in US for game (1) of the Stanley Cup Finals. Even with both teams coming from the (2) largest markets in the US, Kings(LA) and Devils (NYC/NJ metro area)the game had a 25% lower rating than a year ago. A big factor to why the game on NBC was lower here in 2012 is this. This year game #1 was in direct competation as the Miami Heat (Lebron James) were playing the Boston Celtics in the NBA East Final. If the Rangers were playing this would been a higher rating.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/05/nbc-stanley-cup-opener-tv-box-office-down/1

Quick is better than Brodeur. That's all there is to this series.

Very true. In 2012 at age 25, Quick has become a world class Goalie and now one of the best in hockey. With that said, Mr. Quick has a long way to reach the future NHL Hall of Famer. Some say right now that Brodeur is arguably the best ever(at least top 5 all time)and still damn good for age 40.

The LA Kings take game 1 of the Cup Finals in overtime vs. the Devils 2-1.
Kings won game #2 in OT 2-1 Saturday Night and take commanding 2 games to none lead in series.

Haven't watched any of these games.... 2 straight overtime 2-1 games in their favor....

If this is what playoff hockey is gonna become in the years to come, bettman's got a bit of a problem....

Quick is better than Brodeur. That's all there is to this series.

**porkypigthatsallfolks.jpg**

KIngs in 5.

And im not saying that cause the Devils beat my Rangers.

Once that happened though< it solidified the Kings' "Cinderella" season with a Cup.

...Just watch.

Also watch is how every major celebrity in LA will try to get Kings tickets for games (3) and (4). You know the former members (at least until Spring 2013 lol)of the Lakers bandwagon lol and good tickets going for thousands lol. :D And yet many of them can't tell a difference between icing, a charge in basketball or a foul ball.

What sad is seriously is the hundreds of loyal Kings fans will likely be stuck watching it on TV.

4-0 kings? I don't care what sport or team it is, it irks me when teams just give up like that.....

so it's 3-0 in the series..... the devils are gonna eff around & get swept.....

Not to mention it could argued after 2-0, whether Broduer should been pulled out of the game? Surprised how NJ has given up. Maybe if they lucky they win 1 game and be gone at Newark at game #5. So looks like NHL history will be made as the 1st ever #8 seed will win the cup.

Archived