2011-'12 NHL Thread

Shortline Bus

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to show how much media attention, the LA Kings run to their ever stanley cup and the chance to become the 1st ever #8 seed to win a NHL or NBA title consider this. Wed. Night game (4) there been a push to move the game at least in Calif. to the local LA NBC station. Local LA news states here been reported thousands of phone calls and emails to NBC and NHL offices. However for now the game is on NBC Sports net.

In the cup finals, all of the games should be on NBC and not on the NBC sports net

same here.... I wanted the NHL season to be over & the d*ckridden spurs to be ousted from the playoffs in the same day..... too bad only 1/2 of that happened

Bro (B35) Saturday Night 6/9/12 outside of the LA area, the Stanley Cup game (5) may draw flies on tv. This year's final is down by 25-30% compared to the great Bruins/Cancuks matchup from 2011. Again this saturday Night is going to be a crazy nite in sports. with a game (7) Heat/Celtics on at the same time. Also "I have another" trying to win the triple crown at the belmont in horse racing. And Yanks/Mets subway series highlighting interleague weekend of the MLB season. So not a great time to schedule game #5 of the NHL Finals with such fierece competation.

Bro (B35) Saturday Night 6/9/12 outside of the LA area, the Stanley Cup game (5) may draw flies on tv. This year's final is down by 25-30% compared to the great Bruins/Cancuks matchup from 2011. Agaim this saturday Night is going to be a crazy nite in sports. with a game (7) Heat/Celtics on at the same time. Also "I have another" trying to win the triple crown at the belmont in horse racing. And Yanks/Mets subway series highlighting interleague weekend of the MLB season. So not a great time to schedule game #5 of the NHL Finals with such fierece competation.

Yeah, feels like the ratings got worse as the playoffs went on....1st round was better than the 2nd, 2nd round was better than the semifinals, and the semifinals are better than the finals (so far)....

It's because all the good teams were knocked out in the first round. It was rather depressing actually.

Sorry Mr. Canuck lol. The Rangers made the Stanley Cup semifinals and they had the 3rd best record during the regular season. So statement above is not true. You mean most of the good teams were knocked out in the 1st round.

The Rangers are not that good of a team in the grand scheme. They have a goalie that stops more pucks than a brick wall but their scoring just floats along until the other guy breaks, ironically a lot like LA and the Devils.

And even if we were to say that the Rangers did go far, everyone hates them outside of New York, so it doesn't matter.

The playoffs got more boring as the rounds went on.... The Canucks not gettin knocked out in the first round wouldn't have changed any of that... The rangers reaching the semifinals definitely didn't change any of that.....

It's the game dynamic that's changed.... There's too much "protecting home" (so to speak) goin on in these games; I'm not talkin about home ice either... Too much emphasis is placed on getting the first goal, and the team that does is overly defensive of protecting that 1 goal lead - as if to say, this is the ONLY goal we're gonna get, and we have to protect it like it's our life.... on top of, of course, making sure the other team doesn't score..... The offensive push/pressure wanes a lot after whatever team scored the 1st goal, does so.... It's no longer 100% effort on offense & 100% effort on defense in these games this year after the fact - it becomes 199.9999% effort on defense & virtually nothin on offense.....

To me, that's not exciting hockey.... that's a team afraid of losing a lead & being too damn protective of an accomplishment they feel can't be done again in a given game.... There's a difference b/w a goalie stopping 40+ shots a game (exciting, IMO), and teammates diving all over the place to stop/slow down the puck moreso than ever out of desperation throughout a game - And in some cases, end up having more cumulative blocked shots than the goalie himself had saves off actual SOG (boring, IMO)......

I would have to agree with Tokkemon... Forget about the Rangers' record. Overall I avoided watching them because I'm not wild about their style of hockey. They lack scoring power and it showed against the Devils. The reason they looked "good" was because Tortorella got the most out of his guys, but once Gaborik got hurt that was it. The offensive production they had in the regular season went south because they don't have depth in terms of scoring.

Now this Kings Devils series.... Well it hasn't been bad, but it hasn't been fantastic either. Quite frankly the Devils shouldn't have made it. They're like the Rangers IMO and they just got a break in some of the teams that they played. I expect the Kings to wrap things up either tomorrow or the next game. They are simply too skilled offensively and defensively to lose this series unless the Devils outwork them. I'm surprised that the Kings have taken this long to get scoring because when I saw the guys they added in the off-season I thought they would be a strong team offensively, but now with Richards and Carter on one line and Brown and Kopitar on the second line and then the depth scoring they have on the 3rd and 4th lines and the style that Sutter has brought with him, they should be a force to be reckoned with this season and next season. I just question how they are going to keep all of these guys up front, because Carter has a hefty contract, so someone will have to be traded or let go to stay under the cap. Maybe Gagne will be traded, but he just came in I think during the off-season.

I thought they all were on NBC. Pardon my ignorance since I don't watch TV. They seriously thing they can get away with the SCF NOT being on network television?! What is the world coming to?!

Yeah I didn't even know where the NBC sports channel was till recently (90 on fios). It's the finals, how can it not be on network tv? It being NBC, what can they lose by airing this series vs the crap they have or reruns now? All those channels and they can't find a way to put the finals on their main station? If I were a fan of either of the teams and I'm in some 'remote' area that doesn't get that channel, I'd be pissed.

Yeah I didn't even know where the NBC sports channel was till recently (90 on fios). It's the finals, how can it not be on network tv? It being NBC, what can they lose by airing this series vs the crap they have or reruns now? All those channels and they can't find a way to put the finals on their main station? If I were a fan of either of the teams and I'm in some 'remote' area that doesn't get that channel, I'd be pissed.

I think it done to force more cable/direct tv and dish to carry NBC sports net. I agree with you(concourse) and tokemon that all of the cup finals should be on free 'network' tv. It's same crap with the NBA as last night (Sat. 6/9/12)Heat/Celtics game 7 should have been on ABC and not ESPN. Just all of the sports leagues(except for the NFL)taking the most bucks instead of helping the fans by putting most of their games including the finals on cable tv.

Guest Lance

I don't see the NBA Finals migrating from network TV any time soon. Same thing with the World Series/All-Star Game on FOX. It's too much of a ratings boom for the local affiliates, especially at a time like this when there isn't much else on. TBS carries half of the playoff games because either the games would have to be scheduled where overlap each other or half the country would miss said game.

The only reason why the hockey finals have been on NBC Sports Network is because of NBC is incredibly stupid when it comes to their ratings (and getting advertisers on the network). At least it seems they've learned their lesson as Games 5 & 6 are on the main network. However, one would think that, with everything being in reruns because it's summer (or worse, cancelled because of the network's inability to actually keep something besides Law and Order on the network), all of the games would've been on NBC proper.

If this is some kind of ploy like Larry said up-thread to get more cable/satellite providers to pick up the network, then their marketing department is run by idiots. If you're going to start up yet another sports network (really, how many do we have right now and how many do we need?), make sure you actually have some sports to put on there. And I mean real f'king sports. After the hockey championships are over, what will be on this channel? Fishing? Olympics-related stuff? Sure, they say there's a market for anything, but unless they can pull some real sports (Baseball? Ain't happening. Basketball? They blew that chance when ABC bought the carriage rights years ago. Football? Yeah right, like the NFL would let them put the games in upper-tier cable packages.), this whole thing is gonna flounder.

Lance i did not realize you a big sports fan lol. Maybe you have a future replacing Bob Rassiman as sports media commentator with the Daily News lol. :D Anyhow well said and I agree with almost all of you comments in your post above.

FYI. The NBA and NFL just recently signed long term tv contract extensions so they are both not in play for a while. Thus the only of the "3' Major sports league tv contract is up in near future is MLB after the 2013 World Series. If NBC Sports Net wants to expand in more homes, they need really badly to get one of the '2' Cable TV packages from MLB either the Sunday Night and most regular season games from ESPN. Or the Sunday Afternoon and most of the Division Playoff and LCS from TBS.

Guest Lance

Actually I'm not. I was just basing my comment on stuff that's pretty much common knowledge. I'm just not seeing the logic in creating another sports channel when the primary name brand doesn't have the rights to many sports, or the option to get any more, in the first place. Besides, most of the sports that are actually on NBCSN are already on their own niche channels so it isn't like there was this demand that wasn't previously being sated.

Archived