22 Years Ago Today...

R10 2952

On October 29th, 1989, the last of the R-10s made their rounds about the subway system on a final, farewell fan trip (in that famous green paint job of theirs). Now although the final train of R-10s last ran in regular service on the <C> in early September of 1989, it was this particular fantrip that truly marked the definitive end of the R-10s. Any thoughts?

Yeah, it is a shame. Those cars were something else. But then again, I couldn't picture these cars going through the General Overhaul Program, either. Imagine something as archaic as an R-10 running revenue subway service in the 1990s or later...

They actually did have PA systems don't know when they were installed, but they were rarely used, because the C/Rs had to deal with the exterior door controls. Installing door controls inside the cars would also solved that other problem.

yea but even then, they would be nearly 70 years old now, and we have plenty of nicer, newer subway cars now.

If the R10s were overhauled, there wouldn't be a need for newer cars.

nothing lasts forever, they would have probably rusted away by now if they kept em. Even the 33 and 36 had to go and I heard mechanically they still worked well.

however ill take the 160s over those relics any day. I doubt they can make an R10 have a digital screen listing the next stops, or an internal clock and digital display showing the next stops, or easy to hear automated announcements, not someone mumbling some form of broken english into a crackily PA system.

R10s themselves were modern in 1948. Any carbody from the past could be made modern. They could use the R9's car bodies if the MTA wanted too or the Hi-V carbody. ACF built a good subway car that had many firsts and it remained on the (A) for almost three decades. The thing that bums me out is how did ACF screw up the R16s when they were successful with the R10s?

and that was 62 years ago, subway car bodies don't last forever. It gets to a point where they could either spend money constantly fixing em up and trying to shove new equipment in anchient technology, or they can just buy new subway cars. They would have needed to anyway, the system has expanded a few times since 1948. Personally I'm glad they ordered new cars instead of sticking with this foamer-like fantasy of continuing to patch up these anchient cars.

is it cuz its Halloween or something people are suggesting we should have kept long retired subway cars longer, so we can have a fleet of zombie subway cars or something. I suppose the LIRR should have kept those horrible pullman cars instead of ordering nice new double deckers as well by your logic.

nothing lasts forever, they would have probably rusted away by now if they kept em. Even the 33 and 36 had to go and I heard mechanically they still worked well.

however ill take the 160s over those relics any day. I doubt they can make an R10 have a digital screen listing the next stops, or an internal clock and digital display showing the next stops, or easy to hear automated announcements, not someone mumbling some form of broken english into a crackily PA system.

Your right, nothing lasts for ever but had the system not become a victim of differed maintenance in the 60's and 70's alot of the older equipment would still be around. You can't compare the rust problems of the redbirds to older cars like the R10s or even the R22. Last year I helped scrap an R22 so the parts could go to the museum collection and that car had no rust on it as all. The problems with those cars and why they were retired had to do with their lack of A/C and equipment problems, the car bodies them selfs were in good condition. The R10, which were of the same construction had the same problems.

The reason they were so bad at the end was that no one bothered to make repairs. Had they been overhauled to include C/R positions in the cabs, A/C, linked into married pairs, proper PAs, and so forth, those cars could have lasted another 10 to 15 years in regular service. Also, if there are plans to put automated announcement systems in the R62/68s, why couldn't R10s have them installed?

Is it true that R10-R22s had thicker steel compared to the Redbirds?

Yes, I have gone over several of those cars R10-22 in the last few years and they have held up much better then the steel cars that came after them. To say that they were the same just shows that someone doesn't know what their talking about.

Archived