United Nations: World population set to reach 7 BILLION on Monday

CPBO

High birth rates bolstering population boom despite infant mortality

BY Erin Durkin

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Are you concerned by the world's population hitting 7 billion?

The world’s seven billionth person will be born somewhere on earth on Monday, United Nations forecasters say.

The number reflects rapid population growth, especially in developing countries, that will strain the planet’s resources in coming years, experts say.

It took until 1804 for world population to reach 1 billion, and until 1927 to double to two billion. Then numbers began to balloon, reaching 3 billion in 1959, and 6 billion in 1998. At current growth rates, there will be 8 billion people by 2025.

“The world has absorbed big gains since 1950,” John Bongaarts of the Population Council told the Associated Press. "For the rich, it's totally manageable...It's the poor, everywhere, who will be hurt the most."

The biggest gains are happening in sub-Saharan Africa — especially in cities — which has 900 million people now and could have 2 billion in 40 years.

High infant mortality and lack of access to family planning have contributed to high birth rates even as the region deals with the world’s worst poverty.

"I never intended to have such a big number," John Baliruno, 45, a Ugandan father of nine, told the AP. "I with my wife had no knowledge of family planning and ended up producing one child after another. Now I cannot properly feed them.

"The environment is being destroyed by the growing population. Trees are being cut down in big numbers and even now we can't get enough firewood to cook food," he said. "In the near future, we will starve."

It’s a sharp contrast with industrialized countries in Western Europe, which have seen their populations shrink or post only tiny increases.

China remains the most populous country with 1.34 billion people, but India is set to pass it in the next 20 years, reaching a population of 1.6 billion.

With News Wire Services

Did I read that right?????? 7 Billion.....damn we need some govermental review board to figure out what to do....lol Condoms....not!! we need to do what they do in china only one child per family.....and some people need not reproduce period!

Did I read that right?????? 7 Billion.....damn we need some govermental review board to figure out what to do....lol Condoms....not!! we need to do what they do in china only one child per family.....and some people need not reproduce period!

I can think of something even sinister: sterilize certain areas of the world. There's only so much you can teach ppl to do. Humans are still animals, the need for sex can never be denied. Overpopulation is a bigger threat than people driving gas powered cars. where are the activists on this?

most of the growth in 3rd world countries...what a surprise.

this is why foreign aid does not work.

the governments of developed countries have a responsibility to look after their economies first. government level foreign charity is a luxury that should not be greenlighted during times of surplus without taxpayer approval, and a non-necessity that should not even be considered during lean times.

the health and welfare of people in those countries is THEIR government's issue to solve (or ignore), subject to the reaction of their own people.

"sex education" in third world countries is a joke. good luck with that.

I can think of something even sinister: sterilize certain areas of the world. There's only so much you can teach ppl to do. Humans are still animals, the need for sex can never be denied. Overpopulation is a bigger threat than people driving gas powered cars. where are the activists on this?

Yes where are the activist for this??

If this continues, we'll have to let war and disease handle it. Nature's physical limitations (such as limits on resources) ensure that a population can't grow beyond a certain size and still be sustainable.

We're going to run out of food, water, medical care, real estate, or cause an ecological disaster.

I'm with subwayguy on this: cut off all funding to 3rd world nations [cut off all funding period, isolationism as the US has its own 'mess' to deal with].

Also the hollywood whackos should be focusing on the homeless on US streets, not some unknown villiage in South America or Africa. If they want to spend money to support their cause, then they should do it themselves.

Here's an idea: how about all of the superpowers in world and all of the developing nations implement China's one child policy. This is necessary if humans are to thrive and prosper. If we continue to grow our chances for survival as a whole will be decimated. I guess this is the one consequences of not being educated.

With abortions, 1st world nations have had a slight decline in population with the increase coming from immigrants. But as said before, you can teach people till you are blue in the face; it won't matter if people still have sex regardless of what they are taught.

Not necessarily, a great teacher/leader can sway the un-swayable, trust me I know from experience. You just have to somehow make it in their best interest. Saying you can't and "it won't matter" do not help solve the current problem. We need to get real motivated people who have goals to stop this "cancer" from infecting even more parts of this world in these developing countries. They will make a difference if they try hard enough and challenge the paradigms. Spending money on this type of education should be priority.

Here's an idea: how about all of the superpowers in world and all of the developing nations implement China's one child policy. This is necessary if humans are to thrive and prosper. If we continue to grow our chances for survival as a whole will be decimated. I guess this is the one consequences of not being educated.

F that.

If people with resources to provide for their kids have them, they should be allowed to. China sucks for a lot of reasons, and that's one of the biggest...no way in hell that should be implemented here.

The US and other developed nations need to recognize that when other countries allow overpopulation (particularly in the third world) that it's THEIR PROBLEM and THEIR GOVERNMENT'S PROBLEM, not our problem.

If those countries and third world peoples lack the resources to provide for their population then Darwinism will do its work and wipe them out. It is what it is.

No one should bring a child into this world unless they can care for them.

The US government has the resources to help impoverished or neglected children, yes, but it only has the duty to do so for children who are AMERICAN citizens.

Point still stands that 3rd world nations shouldn't be supported by 'donations' if they continue to have a population explosion. If they can't afford the basic needs for their own nations, then they shouldn't be having so many children. 1st world nations like the US have their own share of problems like the homeless in areas such as New Orleans.

Fix things at home, then worry about the world.

Archived