MTA finally gets it: ‘Patience’ wears thin

CPBO

Some of us actually do care and DO appreciate the announcements. However, I do get irritated if I hear an announcement about train traffic repeatedly when it is not at the heat of rush hour and there's been no train for sometime. Perhaps a more specific reason should be given like there's a train broken down ahead of us because train traffic sounds more like there's a bunch of trains backed up or something which in some instances doesn't seem very credible.

As for the whole giving yourself enough time line, yeah I give myself an hour and 30 minutes to get to work when my commute should take an hour, so that's immaterial in my case. I do want to know what the specific hold up is because if it is a repeated problem I'd like to be able to explore alternatives so that I can avoid the problem in advance if possible in the future. It's like getting stuck in the same area everyday. If you know of a particular problem no one will want to keep dealing with it over and over if they can avoid it.

But sometimes there really IS train traffic in front of the train. You said that when you use the subway, you take the (4) or (5). I can tell you from having done those 2 lines a bunch of times in the last few months, that statement is valid with that line specifically. Once one train slows down, the whole line slows down right behind it. We don't try to be difficult, we try to give all the riders as much accurate information that we can. I hope you and others can understand that but if not, then oh well.

Originally Posted by Via Garibaldi 8:

Some of us actually do care and DO appreciate the announcements. However, I do get irritated if I hear an announcement about train traffic repeatedly when it is not at the heat of rush hour and there's been no train for sometime. Perhaps a more specific reason should be given like there's a train broken down ahead of us because train traffic sounds more like there's a bunch of trains backed up or something which in some instances doesn't seem very credible.

As for the whole giving yourself enough time line, yeah I give myself an hour and 30 minutes to get to work when my commute should take an hour, so that's immaterial in my case. I do want to know what the specific hold up is because if it is a repeated problem I'd like to be able to explore alternatives so that I can avoid the problem in advance if possible in the future. It's like getting stuck in the same area everyday. If you know of a particular problem no one will want to keep dealing with it over and over if they can avoid it.

Its like trying to get to the GWB from the Bronx/Westchester. The fastest, most efficient way is to go up the Bronx River/Hutch, across the Cross County, and down the Henry Hudson (pay the small toll there) and access the bridge from Riverside Dr. Gets you completely around the Cross Bronx when its jammed up sometimes from Co-op all the way to the bridge. The combination of gas and time saved is worth the toll. I always told people what was going on, and gave alternatives long before we reached any station where alternatives were available or where the conga line would begin.

But sometimes there really IS train traffic in front of the train. You said that when you use the subway, you take the (4) or (5). I can tell you from having done those 2 lines a bunch of times in the last few months, that statement is valid with that line specifically. Once one train slows down, the whole line slows down right behind it. We don't try to be difficult, we try to give all the riders as much accurate information that we can. I hope you and others can understand that but if not, then oh well.

Oh believe me, I'm well aware of the slowdowns on that line and like you said, most of the time that is the problem, but not all of the time. I mean telling folks the real deal in some instances may allow them to make alternative arrangements if the train is there in the station with the doors open. Depending on the announcement, some folks are more willing to stick out the wait if they have an option of staying or using an alternative. I think that's the key thing here.

We (the ordinary passengers) realize that there will be delays and that we need to give ourselves extra time. In my case I think 30 - 40 minutes of extra time is enough. After that it becomes a bit ridiculous, because this way if there's a problem, 30 - 40 minutes can allow you to make an alternate change as I have many times and still get to work on time. Even with the extra 30 - 40 minutes, there will be times where that isn't enough, and I can live with that too because sometimes there will be days where you're just going to be late, as some things can't be avoided, but the point is why be late if you can avoid it and have a less stressful commute in using a backup?

I'm glad that the (MTA) gets it and that some folks here get it too and we appreciate those who make the effort to help us. :tup:

What's the sense of getting people where they need to go on time if you lose a few on the way? Plus when it comes to maintenance, i would rather see part of a line shut down and customers rerouted, then employees put in danger.

But that's not the point. I agree that maintenance and a lot of other things are important, but that doesn't mean you disregard your passengers in the process. It's not about re-routing them or anything else. Do what you have to do, but it's about customer service, which should always be a priority.

This has been in effect in RTO for a couple weeks already. The automated message was revised/taken out. When I was a C/R no automated announcements for me, I actually took to the PA myself and told customers what exactly was going on (even somewhat graphic at times), why (when applicable), and when we were going resume normal operation (not creeping along or stopped) again.

Same here when I was a Conductor. The TOD took so long to load the announcement options I found it less frustrating to explain the situation, anyway. Conductors are always supposed to make announcements when on equipment with enablers and transverse cabs where he will have to change positions upon arrival at the terminal regarding the momentary delay before the train doors open. I ride the trains, too, the Conductors' announcements help squelch the passengers' impatience during delays.

I was once working the (A) when there was a track fire ahead of us, northbound (I believe it was 59th Street). The train ahead of us was ordered to discharge its passengers at 59th Street, we were still in the tunnel-Control made an announcement of the situation after we left 42 Street. They were then used to bus the Fire Dept to the source of the smoke and what helped keep my customers calm was that I was telling them everything that was going on- they appreciated it and I got thanked a lot. The Train Operators appreciate it, too! When there are delays that only the Train Operator might be aware of he's supposed to get on the PA, too.

Not making proper announcements- much less any- is laziness, uncaring and unprofessional.

Archived