MTA finally gets it: ‘Patience’ wears thin

CPBO

The MTA will no longer lecture straphangers about patience every time there’s a train delay.

After a decade of complaints from the public, the transit agency finally realized its infuriating “please be patient” announcements were having the opposite effect, and switched to a more conciliatory tone for broadcasting service disruptions.

Instead of scolding straphangers to keep their tempers in check, the new automated announcements come with an actual apology from the MTA.

Others -- like the announcements used when the train is stopped for a police investigation -- go so far as to thank passengers for their patience.

Previously, all MTA on-board service announcements -- bearing bad news about everything from train traffic up ahead to equipment problems -- offered no apology and instead exhorted helpless straphangers to be patient.

“How patient can I be?” griped Deborah Draughton, 47, of Queens.

Considering that her regular route -- the problem-plagued F line -- recently underwent substantial construction, she pointed out, “We’re already patient as it is.”

Plenty of other harried straphangers agreed with her.

The MTA has been inundated with complaints about the “be patient” edicts since the announcements began in the late 1990s. There’s even a Facebook page titled “NYC Subway Conductor: Stop telling me to be patient. Start being competent.”

It only took a decade and change, but the MTA finally listened.

“Over the years, we have received some complaints from customers, who interpreted the messages as an admonishment,” said Kevin Ortiz, an MTA spokesman.

Because of that, they recently switched to the less accusatory announcements, he said.

“This has been implemented systemwide, although there are probably a few scattered trains that don’t have it,” he said.

Not everyone underground cares for the change.

Joshua Echevarria, 19, a Brooklyn subway rider, noticed the change on the M train recently. He shrugged it off.

“At the end of the day, ‘we apologize, sorry for the inconvenience’ doesn’t make a difference,” he said. “If we’re late, we’re late.”

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/mta_finally_gets_it_patience_wears_Pz2lToyyTuj4ofRA4MPKOK#ixzz1dDUIzvPD

They finally get it... Telling people to be patient just gets them irritated when they're already being patient. The fact that they keep playing that announcement also shows how bad the commute has gotten for folks who use the subway... Takes longer and longer for the same subway ride time wise. It's funny that the perception is that the subway is quicker, which in theory is true, but it's not quicker if it is constant delayed prone. So the (MTA) pushes more people to take the subway knowing the amount of problems with the system which only makes the situation worse. They should be trying to get folks to use their buses more (both local and express) to take some strain off of the aging subway system.

Guest lance25

So, instead of asking riders to be patient, they're apologizing for the inconvenience of being delayed by various occurrences. Unless these new recordings somehow clear up the incidents faster, all they did was substitute one annoying Ladies and Gentlemen announcement for another, which will undoubtedly be just as annoying when played five times in three minutes without any real info.

@VG8: How about we stop exaggerating things for a minute, hm? Yes, the trains are delayed at time because of various things, but they aren't always due to mechanical problems. Some jackass winding up on the tracks because he was too drunk or was standing too close to the platform edge is not due to the fact that the subway is old. For any incident, either the train has to be diverted or it has to sit there until the situation is resolved. It's not like the T/O can back up an 8- or 10-car train to the nearest switch to get back on track so to speak unless (s)he's given orders from dispatch (or whoever). Yes, it's unfortunate and playing the "please be patient" announcement ad nauseum doesn't help, but there aren't many alternatives.

As to replacing trains with express buses, good luck with that getting anywhere. The sheer cost of these additional buses would be outrageous. No matter how you slice it, one train is at least ten buses. That's at least ten additional B/Os for every one train.

Then there's the time it would take to get from point A to point B. With intra-borough travel, you may be able to get a few subway riders onto express buses, but for someone going into Manhattan from the outer boroughs and vice-versa, the subway is always going to be faster than any bus since trains don't have to contend with other cars and traffic lights. I don't know many people who would willingly add at least 30 minutes to their commute because of the possibility of being delayed on the train.

So, instead of asking riders to be patient, they're apologizing for the inconvenience of being delayed by various occurrences. Unless these new recordings somehow clear up the incidents faster, all they did was substitute one annoying Ladies and Gentlemen announcement for another, which will undoubtedly be just as annoying when played five times in three minutes without any real info.

Thats what I'm saying. Okay, if you're stuck on a train then you're stuck on a train, but it actually helps people to be patient when they know what they're being patient about.

I always felt that the announcement should've said: "we ask for your patience...(however you wish to end it)" instead of "please be patient". It's like telling an agitated person "just calm down" or "stop yelling". Like the article says, it seems almost accusatory, that we are naturally inclined to impatience. So instead of being patient, I'm offended, and thus worse than impatient.

I don't think taking the apologetic announcement route is the best idea, because in effect the (MTA) will be apologizing hundreds to thousands of times a day. And after a while, it gets old. Also apologizing is almost akin to taking the blame - for everything, TA caused or not. Then the (MTA) will become the scapegoat of NYC.

@VG8: How about we stop exaggerating things for a minute, hm? Yes, the trains are delayed at time because of various things, but they aren't always due to mechanical problems. Some jackass winding up on the tracks because he was too drunk or was standing too close to the platform edge is not due to the fact that the subway is old. For any incident, either the train has to be diverted or it has to sit there until the situation is resolved. It's not like the T/O can back up an 8- or 10-car train to the nearest switch to get back on track so to speak unless (s)he's given orders from dispatch (or whoever). Yes, it's unfortunate and playing the "please be patient" announcement ad nauseum doesn't help, but there aren't many alternatives.

As to replacing trains with express buses, good luck with that getting anywhere. The sheer cost of these additional buses would be outrageous. No matter how you slice it, one train is at least ten buses. That's at least ten additional B/Os for every one train.

Then there's the time it would take to get from point A to point B. With intra-borough travel, you may be able to get a few subway riders onto express buses, but for someone going into Manhattan from the outer boroughs and vice-versa, the subway is always going to be faster than any bus since trains don't have to contend with other cars and traffic lights. I don't know many people who would willingly add at least 30 minutes to their commute because of the possibility of being delayed on the train.

Where did I say anything about replacing trains with buses? I said they should encourage people to use other modes of transportation. That's far different from replacing trains with buses, so if you're going to quote me at least be accurate.

I also never said that all delays were mechanical related, so I don't know where you're getting that from. If we're going to discuss this, then be accurate with what I said and stop putting words in my mouth that I did not say nor imply.

As for the delays, regardless to how the trains are delayed, the (MTA) did state earlier this year that trains are running with more delays.

What bothers me about both instances is this...

When you drive, there is traffic on the road right? Does anyone apologize to you for it? No, they dont.

There is also traffic on the train road. I find it just as annoying to play the message for you as you find it to listen.

If it was up to me, there would be no announcements. You will get there when I get there. Plain and simple. And if they don't like it, then take the bus, buy a car, get a bike, rollerblade, moonwalk, teleport, whatever.

When you drive, there is traffic on the road right? Does anyone apologize to you for it? No, they dont.

There is also traffic on the train road. I find it just as annoying to play the message for you as you find it to listen.

If it was up to me, there would be no announcements. You will get there when I get there. Plain and simple. And if they don't like it, then take the bus, buy a car, get a bike, rollerblade, moonwalk, teleport, whatever.

That's a ridiculous comment to make. People should know what's going on. For all you know it could be a terror attack or another emergency, so there should be some sort of announcement so that people can try to make arrangements, especially since folks can't get any information underground unless they are at select stations that have internet access.

That's a ridiculous comment to make. People should know what's going on. For all you know it could be a terror attack or another emergency, so there should be some sort of announcement so that people can try to make arrangements, especially since folks can't get any information underground unless they are at select stations that have internet access.

I agree that there should be an announcement when something is wrong. I, personally, am a very impatient person, so I would go crazy if I was on a train or anywhere else for that matter and we weren't going anywhere. I like to know what's going on.

Personally, I think that it doesn't matter if the announcement says either "please be patient", or "we apologize". It doesn't make a difference to me. I just want accurate info. Once we were delayed at Union Sq due to a gap filler problem and the C/R said exactly that, loud and clear. Nothing else. That's what I needed to know and that's what I consider a good announcement.

This has been in effect in RTO for a couple weeks already. The automated message was revised/taken out. When I was a C/R no automated announcements for me, I actually took to the PA myself and told customers what exactly was going on (even somewhat graphic at times), why (when applicable), and when we were going resume normal operation (not creeping along or stopped) again.

Except unlike you, I have to explain to my boss why I was late if theres an incident on the subway, and an explanation of "You'll get there when I get there" isnt acceptable. Either way, remember this post when you're stuck underground on a train and you dont know why.

Guest lance25

@VG8: Perhaps my point could've been made clearer, but it still stands that few people would be willing to take the bus instead of the subway unless said bus gets them to their destinations as fast as the train does. That's virtually impossible as the subway was designed to move people directly in and out of Manhattan, while the buses are around to pick up the slack. Sure you can add more express buses, but where would you run them? You can't parallel the subway lines while running as fast as the trains because, for the most part, the subways run under or above congested avenues, and buses will have to deal with the traffic. You can't put them on the highways because the people you're trying to get off the subway won't use it. They can encourage all they want, but the fact of the matter is, if it takes longer, the riders will stick with the subway.

No, you didn't say that every problem was related to mechanical problems and I'm going to be the bigger man and apologize for that. However, you can't really fault the (MTA) for things beyond their control. Signal problems, trains in BIE, broken switches and tracks; those things can be fixed. People on the tracks, various police investigations; you can't really do anything about that but follow the instruction of the NYPD. The train can't go anywhere if they're investigating something on the tracks.

Finally, yeah, trains are being delayed more than before. Still doesn't mean that people will accept a longer commute to avoid something that might happen.

@TwoTimer: It's unfortunate that most conductors aren't like you. Most of them (none of you guys here I hope) will constantly rely on the automated announcements, playing them over and over again, which is why articles like the one in the OP see the light of day. I get that sometimes, even you guys don't know what's going on, but hearing "please be patient" or "we apologize for any inconvenience" several times in a few minutes doesn't help anyone. It's doubly annoying when the conductor actually chimes in on the PA with the exact same spiel that was just played through the recorded message.

@VG8: Perhaps my point could've been made clearer, but it still stands that few people would be willing to take the bus instead of the subway unless said bus gets them to their destinations as fast as the train does. That's virtually impossible as the subway was designed to move people directly in and out of Manhattan, while the buses are around to pick up the slack. Sure you can add more express buses, but where would you run them? You can't parallel the subway lines while running as fast as the trains because, for the most part, the subways run under or above congested avenues, and buses will have to deal with the traffic. You can't put them on the highways because the people you're trying to get off the subway won't use it. They can encourage all they want, but the fact of the matter is, if it takes longer, the riders will stick with the subway.

No, you didn't say that every problem was related to mechanical problems and I'm going to be the bigger man and apologize for that. However, you can't really fault the (MTA) for things beyond their control. Signal problems, trains in BIE, broken switches and tracks; those things can be fixed. People on the tracks, various police investigations; you can't really do anything about that but follow the instruction of the NYPD. The train can't go anywhere if they're investigating something on the tracks.

Finally, yeah, trains are being delayed more than before. Still doesn't mean that people will accept a longer commute to avoid something that might happen.

I also didn't say anything about adding buses or re-routing buses. My point was to encourage folks to use the service that exists, and that would be in areas where there is already an express bus or local bus and a lack of a subway. I would not lower the express bus fare from $5.50 either, but perhaps create a special pass for the week. If ridership increases of course service would be added where needed. Other transportation agencies around the country admit that their rail system is not the answer and are looking for ways to make buses more attractive and quicker. The (MTA) should be doing the same thing to alleviate stress on the overcrowded subway.

if they don't like it they can drive, and once they get frustrated with parking and traffic and all teh things the NYCDOT does to make driving a pain in teh ass in the city they will deal with the MTA.

I disagree... Just because it's public service doesn't mean that the (MTA) should treat their customers like whatever. This is exactly the problem that the public has with the (MTA). A service is a service and they should do as much as possible to have good relations with the public. Good customer service should always be #1.

I also didn't say anything about adding buses or re-routing buses. My point was to encourage folks to use the service that exists, and that would be in areas where there is already an express bus or local bus and a lack of a subway. I would not lower the express bus fare from $5.50 either, but perhaps create a special pass for the week. If ridership increases of course service would be added where needed. Other transportation agencies around the country admit that their rail system is not the answer and are looking for ways to make buses more attractive and quicker. The (MTA) should be doing the same thing to alleviate stress on the overcrowded subway.

For areas that have the lack of a subway, there really isn't much in the option of mass transit than the bus, which is why we have the express bus routes we have now. I really don't think encouragement in those areas are needed. For the area that have a subway, the subway is doing its job and is keeping the roads from gridlock hell. Can you imagine Queens Blvd without the subway?

As for the other parts of the country, the ones that have rail systems have some expansion plan in effect or on the horizon, because they realize it's the best way to move a large mass of people. the ones that don't have a rail system turn to buses because it's the cheaper option, and those locations are designed for the car. Bus Rapid Transit has grown throughout the country, but the facilities that make it effective are just short of laying rails and ties (Seattle). For effective BRT to come to NYC, drastic traffic changes would need to be made in the city that wouldn't go over so well.

Either way, the subway system is old and until it is completely rebuilt/modernized, the problems will continue and (MTA) will continue apologizing. It's the city that's getting overcrowded, not just the subway.

For areas that have the lack of a subway, there really isn't much in the option of mass transit than the bus, which is why we have the express bus routes we have now. I really don't think encouragement in those areas are needed. For the area that have a subway, the subway is doing its job and is keeping the roads from gridlock hell. Can you imagine Queens Blvd without the subway?

As for the other parts of the country, the ones that have rail systems have some expansion plan in effect or on the horizon, because they realize it's the best way to move a large mass of people. the ones that don't have a rail system turn to buses because it's the cheaper option, and those locations are designed for the car. Bus Rapid Transit has grown throughout the country, but the facilities that make it effective are just short of laying rails and ties (Seattle). For effective BRT to come to NYC, drastic traffic changes would need to be made in the city that wouldn't go over so well.

Either way, the subway system is old and until it is completely rebuilt/modernized, the problems will continue and (MTA) will continue apologizing. It's the city that's getting overcrowded, not just the subway.

Correct, but you don't build subways overnight. The (MTA) has to think in the short term as to how they can deal with some of the overcrowding now in the subway and IMO, express buses are not as well advertised as they could be. On Staten Island, there are plenty of folks that see express buses, but they don't know if they can use them or not, or the cost could be a big factor as well. I don't and won't support a lowering of the base fare, but perhaps some folks who would be tempted to use the express bus if it was slightly cheaper would be entertained by a special weekly pass that was slightly more expensive than the subway, but not as expensive as the Unlimited Express Bus Plus Card. Maybe charge $35 - 40 a week for 10 rides on the express bus. The card would only be good for one person though and only for 10 rides a week.

I forgot to mention that the buses are crowded, too. The B25 (which mirrors the (A)/© from Jay St to Bway Junction) doesn't offer a seat during rush hours. Not many of those bus routes have room enough to effectively lighten the load on the subway.

That's why I think the (MTA) needs to explore more artics on lines where they can use them effectively. They're ordering more of them, but they need to be even more aggressive in seeing how they can use more artics to their advantage.

Guest lance25

Forgive me for the "noobish" question, but Artics are those articulated buses, right? Regardless, they can order as many buses their wallets can afford. Unless some new bus routes are created that actually benefit the subway riders you're trying to move off the subway, it won't matter in the slightest.

Yeah, I feel like that a lot. Every time a train comes to a halt, I always want to know if a train is in front of us or a timer malfunction or whatever.

Archived