Today's Observation in South Jersey

MarkD329

While waiting for the 136 freehold mall express two doors over last week, I had some woman grab my hoody sleeve in panic asking me "is that 319 going to toms river".... b/c I saw her peek as if she was about to board the bus, but then turned back (guess the "via toms river" wasn't displayed on the signage)....

My exact words were "don't they all?... go ask the bus driver... don't grab on me like that, the *expletive* is wrong with you".... she then apologized and darted towards the idling bus.... I was hoping it pulled off by then.

So I wasn't goin nuts.... I also saw a NABI on the 554 last time I went out to AC.... It struck me as odd....

anyway, it left the bus terminal with a grand total of 3 people on it....

You don't have to answer this, but do you do the 313 on saturdays (more specifically, that 2pm run out of phiily).... and are you an Eagles fan?

NABI on 554 well blame the ridership. I saw NABI on NJT 321

It's 2 codes you have to put in to show "via Toms River" if it just says "319 Atlantic City" it a super express extra run or the driver didn't know the code for "via Toms River". We frequently have to add a super express skipping Toms River at the last min if the crowds get insane. It's a ton of 319 codes too much for me to go into detail. All AC

/NY bound 319s must say "AC via Toms River or NY via Toms River" unless otherwise told.

Thats what happened on Thanksgiving. Very long lines for the 319 that was supposed to depart PABT at 8:30am. Fortunately they had added an extra 137 bus to Toms River, though both buses stopped at TR because 75% of the crowds were going there. Thank gosh otherwise we'd have had a crush load the whole ride down. Knew it'd be busy when I showed up at 8am and there were already nearly 40 people on line!

At Toms River there was a long NYC bound line, and a 40' MCI pulled up as a 319 to NY. They have some 40' buses that are sometimes on the 319, I think they're in the 74xx series but have lavatories.

• 2 weeks later...

403 service is getting worse...I took one today (5354) from Lindenwold to Camden, it arrived 20 minutes late...by the time we got to Camden it was 40 minutes late, the next bus (5330) was right behind us. They need to increase the time from 40 minutes to 20 minutes, the buses are too crowded and that explains why they are ALYWAYS LATE!

I rode on my third 59xx today. I took the 405 to the Mall ( 5912). I am impressed that after a month old in the Camden area, they still have their cleanliness and that new bus smell. Also what kind of transmission and engines are on these new ones?? It was much quieter and smoother on there than on the other two NABIS I rode today (5354-403 and 5590-413.)

403 service is getting worse...I took one today (5354) from Lindenwold to Camden, it arrived 20 minutes late...by the time we got to Camden it was 40 minutes late, the next bus (5330) was right behind us. They need to increase the time from 40 minutes to 20 minutes, the buses are too crowded and that explains why they are ALYWAYS LATE!

I rode on my third 59xx today. I took the 405 to the Mall ( 5912). I am impressed that after a month old in the Camden area, they still have their cleanliness and that new bus smell. Also what kind of transmission and engines are on these new ones?? It was much quieter and smoother on there than on the other two NABIS I rode today (5354-403 and 5590-413.)

Saturday service on the 403 has been shit since NJT cut the service back in the 90's. Saturday headway used to be 30 minutes like weekdays but NJT stretched it to 40 minutes then 45 minutes. Ever since then the Saturday buses have averaged 10 to 20 minutes late on a consistent basis, especially on afternoon runs, and during the Summer, the Clementon park crowds destroy any hope for schedule adherence. Sunday schedule adherence is a lot better, but it deteriorates steadily during the afternoon.

Saturday service on the 403 has been shit since NJT cut the service back in the 90's. Saturday headway used to be 30 minutes like weekdays but NJT stretched it to 40 minutes then 45 minutes. Ever since then the Saturday buses have averaged 10 to 20 minutes late on a consistent basis, especially on afternoon runs, and during the Summer, the Clementon park crowds destroy any hope for schedule adherence. Sunday schedule adherence is a lot better, but it deteriorates steadily during the afternoon.

I guess I was lucky when I used it then

• 3 weeks later...

Was out and about today in South Jersey. Noticed that NO Newton Ave 5300's were out [maybe they're gone?], just 5500's and 5900's with two NOVAs [1285 and 1289].

Now I know not many buses are out on a Saturday so the real test comes on Tuesday when the regular weekday schedule is in effect, we'll see what equipment is out on the streets then.

I went to the Cherry Hill Mall this afternoon, I didn't see any 5300s from Newton Avenue either. I rode 5911 (453), 5935 (404) and 5570 (455). I did see 5640 ( Ironbound Newark bus) on the 452 in addition to 5927, 5918 (407) (457) and 5933 (453). I didn't see any 40 foot Novas this afternoon at all. Its strange what NJT is doing what these buses.

Went to Camden today after an errand to the bank, noticed a few things:

1]After being MIA over the weekend, I saw several 5300s out of Newton Ave on their usual routes. If any departed to either Wash. Twp or Market St, I did not see much evidence of their departure.

2]The NOVAs are still hanging on, seen 1202, 1285 and 1289 out and about in Camden. Since the weather was too damn cold, I did not go riding around town looking for other buses. All of the observations were seen while waiting inside the WRTC

3]NJT really needs to get artics on the 400. I saw 3 buses load up at WRTC and leave with standing loads in a row.

Went to Camden today after an errand to the bank, noticed a few things:

1]After being MIA over the weekend, I saw several 5300s out of Newton Ave on their usual routes. If any departed to either Wash. Twp or Market St, I did not see much evidence of their departure.

2]The NOVAs are still hanging on, seen 1202, 1285 and 1289 out and about in Camden. Since the weather was too damn cold, I did not go riding around town looking for other buses. All of the observations were seen while waiting inside the WRTC

3]NJT really needs to get artics on the 400. I saw 3 buses load up at WRTC and leave with standing loads in a row.

wow but where do 400's usually empty out? I know at WRTC they get stuffed badly. But which part of the line thins out?

wow but where do 400's usually empty out? I know at WRTC they get stuffed badly. But which part of the line thins out?

Some thinning out starts at Kaighn Ave but the real emptying out doesn't start until it reached the area between Fairview St and Collings Ave [that area has several State/County Offices such as Unemployment office and the DMV, plus a shopping area with Pathmark and Save-A-Lot (the only decent supermarkets in Camden -huge traffic generators on this line), another empty-out point is in Audubon where a large shopping center with Acme Markets and Wal-Mart are located. The morning bus trips stay packed until the buses reach Bellmawr Industrial Park, or on one of the three trips per hour, reaches Camden County College.

Some thinning out starts at Kaighn Ave but the real emptying out doesn't start until it reached the area between Fairview St and Collings Ave [that area has several State/County Offices such as Unemployment office and the DMV, plus a shopping area with Pathmark and Save-A-Lot (the only decent supermarkets in Camden -huge traffic generators on this line), another empty-out point is in Audubon where a large shopping center with Acme Markets and Wal-Mart are located. The morning bus trips stay packed until the buses reach Bellmawr Industrial Park, or on one of the three trips per hour, reaches Camden County College.
so that is why I don't get hit with crowds when I take the 400 line. You learn something new everyday. I only used 400 a few times but mostly to backtrack from sicklerville via 551 transfer and the X trips.

just looking at the new 400 schedule, they eliminated the 6:13 AM express trip, and the 5:02 PM Blackwood express trip. On top of that, the 5:02 PM local trip from Philly will not only extend to Sickelerville, but will also stop at Deptford Mall

so thats 2 less bus trips on a typical 400 line weekday

just looking at the new 400 schedule, they eliminated the 6:13 AM express trip, and the 5:02 PM Blackwood express trip. On top of that, the 5:02 PM local trip from Philly will not only extend to Sickelerville, but will also stop at Deptford Mall

so thats 2 less bus trips on a typical 400 line weekday

Looks like NJT isn't very smart NO sicklerville bound bus should serve deptford mall adds too much time to the run.

Just came back from Camden...noticed a majority of the NABIs without working signs today, the drivers are saying the system is down.

None of the 400s I rode had working signs (5335 and 5340)- The ones we passed (5346, 5329) also were down. I also saw a 403 (5353)- same problem. The drivers had paper in the window displaying the route.

A few 5900s were affected also I rode 5915 on the 452, sign not working. 5908 didn't have a working sign neither. But I did see, 5913 (405) and 5916 (404) with working signs.

5500s were also effected (5573 and 5589), their signs were not working either. Anyone know what happened??

Just came back from Camden...noticed a majority of the NABIs without working signs today, the drivers are saying the system is down.

None of the 400s I rode had working signs (5335 and 5340)- The ones we passed (5346, 5329) also were down. I also saw a 403 (5353)- same problem. The drivers had paper in the window displaying the route.

A few 5900s were affected also I rode 5915 on the 452, sign not working. 5908 didn't have a working sign neither. But I did see, 5913 (405) and 5916 (404) with working signs.

5500s were also effected (5573 and 5589), their signs were not working either. Anyone know what happened??

Today, the New Pick starts. It may be possible that they did not update the codes on the destination sign.

Took the 403 and 459 today, system still down.

Also noticed something odd on the 403- rode 5372. To my understanding Newton Avenue NABI suburbans are supposed to be going up to Paterson. This one was on the 403, could this be staying in South Jersey and just going down the freeway to Washington Twp?? I find it hard to believe that a bus could be borrowed on a Sunday?? BTW as I mentioned in another post 5371 is stillin Camden too, that was on the 452 yesterday ( Sat 1/14).

Took the 403 and 459 today, system still down.

Also noticed something odd on the 403- rode 5372. To my understanding Newton Avenue NABI suburbans are supposed to be going up to Paterson. This one was on the 403, could this be staying in South Jersey and just going down the freeway to Washington Twp?? I find it hard to believe that a bus could be borrowed on a Sunday?? BTW as I mentioned in another post 5371 is stillin Camden too, that was on the 452 yesterday ( Sat 1/14).

It seems that 5375-83 went up to Market St. In return Newton got 5639-40 from Ironbound, and 5797-98 from Hilton, and 5567 from Hamilton, that means a net loss of 4 buses. There may be more that offset the loss of those NABi suburbans, but I haven't seen any more buses, also the remaining 9 NOVAs will be used more in runs instead of sitting around between rush hours.

IMHO I think NJT will keep 5368-74 at Newton and pool their NABI fleet with Wash. Twp's NABIs so that there's enough buses to go around. Whenever there's a breakdown or if Wash. Twp ends up short, there will always be a NABI to borrow from Newton to make the run. I saw 5797 on the 403 on Wednesday.

Tommorow and Tuesday I will go back out [when it got cold and windy, I hibernated] I will check out what's going on out there in Camden.

BTW, does anyone know when Egg Harbor will FINALLY get their NABIs?

I also saw that yesterday when i was on the 5809 on the 1 though it said "not in service no passengers" and it also had a paper on the window saying 1

Archived