How do you feel when someone is taking pictures of your Bus/Train?

Engr08

Hello all just to let you know I asked this question in the subway forum but I just want to see what you guys think. To all the bus drivers out there how would you feel if someone was recording or taking pictures of your bus? I know a lot of you guys do it on here and also had some trouble with the law because of this. To be safe don't you guys think that you should carry some kinda permit to take picture due to fact that we are still under a terrorist watch?

Can I just say, as a non-bus driver, it's absurd to think that in America of all places public property would require a permit to photograph. Subways and buses are iconic in this city, and making it illegal to even have a record of them is crazy on so many levels.

Let me start out by saying this, I am a fan but I'm all about safety. Like I said before I'm a railroad engineer and I run trains between point A and B, all the time I see the same people taking picture on railroad property. Being that I'm in a position where something can happen and I can lose my life something have to be done. We can't just keep overlooking people and see well I don't this person would do something like this. You never know, I do agree about the subway and bus system being an icon but we have to be careful. Put yourself in my shoes because I know when some people read they will be mad at me but If something was to happen the same people will more should have been done.

Photography is not a crime, simple as that. If you're on public property, you are allowed to take pictures, and people have won lots of money in lawsuits when police and private security harass (sometimes even arrest) them for taking pictures on public property. The terrorism watch has nothing to do with it. Public transit can ban photography (such as PATH), but that only applies to when you are on their property (example: photography of a bus from the street is still OK). The MTA allows photography, bus operators, train operators/conductors and other staff can't do anything about it (though some think they can). They can question it, but you aren't violating policy. A Liberty Lines B/O even questioned me for taking pictures of his bus from Stew Leonard's property, then I explained to him that I was not on Bee-Line or Liberty Lines property and he drove off. This is America, we don't have to have a permit to take pictures on public property.

Can I just say, as a non-bus driver, it's absurd to think that in America of all places public property would require a permit to photograph. Subways and buses are iconic in this city, and making it illegal to even have a record of them is crazy on so many levels.

I agree that it's crazy, but we're also living in a post 9/11 world, so there needs to be a certain level of vigilance to say the least. Look at that Latino guy that was caught by the police over the weekend. He looked "harmless" on the surface but he had plans to kill Americans and put thousands of others at risk, so I say never say never. We have to let people enjoy their freedoms, but we cannot let our guards down for even a second. Thank the terrorists for that. Friggin' crazies. :mad: :tdown:

I agree that it's crazy, but we're also living in a post 9/11 world, so there needs to be a certain level of vigilance to say the least. Look at that Latino guy that was caught by the police over the weekend. He looked "harmless" on the surface but he had plans to kill Americans and put thousands of others at risk, so I say never say never. We have to let people enjoy their freedoms, but we cannot let our guards down for even a second. Thank the terrorists for that. Friggin' crazies. :mad: :tdown:

“Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

-Benjamin Franklin

I see many of us have different views on my statement but as an engineer it's scary. I don't report photographers or whatever but I do report someone who is out of place. It's scary that people have some much information on what I do and any other person in the transportation industry. I sad because a person who like to take photos will be harrassed, some of you guys have to realize what we see and go through on a everyday basis.

Even thought PANY&NJ owns JFK and LGA, I have seen tourists taking pictures inside PANY&NJ.

When I rode AirTrain JFK for first time, I spotted someone taking pic and I thought it was illegal in PANY&NJ, but he told me not.

Lots of public malls are also harassing photographers.

You could join this group to ask also.

Flickr: Photography is not a crime

I’ll make this as simple as I can. As a transit employee we are told to report any people that are taking any types of pictures or video to command center, police or MTA security. I know it not illegal but that what my employers (the guys that pay me) want me to do. I cannot tell if your terrorist or not, by the way what does one look like? If you gave an answer then your prejudice and profiling. I’ll leave the question asking to the proper authority's to handle, if they determine that everything is OK, then that’s cool. But let then do their job people. Just a quick thing about what I have learned in anti-terrorism train. 90% of terrorism is planning, scouting and gathering intel. where we are weak is what they work off of. 10% is the execution. If we make the system in general a harder to scout, plan of gather intel off of it make it that much safer. When you guys go out there to take photos which not illegal do so in a safe matter and don't act suspicious. If question by authority’s, be polite give answer to their question and that should be the end of it. If you can carry with you the MTA rules on photo's and nypd rules that a plus for you. If the worst happen request that a sergeant come to hand the situation.

Please read the title, I did not say anything about photographing is illegal or you guys are terrorist. I had this convo with my coworkers and I wanted to see what you guys thought. People that work for any transportation company can kinda understand where I'm coming from.

Even thought PANY&NJ owns JFK and LGA, I have seen tourists taking pictures inside PANY&NJ.

When I rode AirTrain JFK for first time, I spotted someone taking pic and I thought it was illegal in PANY&NJ, but he told me not.

Lots of public malls are also harassing photographers.

You could join this group to ask also.

Flickr: Photography is not a crime

Port Authority is no photography allowed, at least on PATH. I hear they bother people at the airports too.

Archived