Why is the Holland Tunnel always congested?

Via Garibaldi 8

That's a lame excuse. Not all of those folks have limited transit options. Some of them just don't want to use public transportation and you and I both know that.

who can blame them if you live in Jersey and have to work in Mineola or Melville. Do you take NJT change at Penn and then have to deal with LIRR's horrible reverse peak service then take a bus, or do you just get in teh car and go and deal with a lil traffic.

Which goes to prove my point that folks can afford the tolls otherwise they would be taking public transportation.

Lets see. Last I recall, Here is my cost structure to NJ

7.25 LIRR zone 4 to 1

0-$2.25 depends if I walk from penn to port authority or pay for 1 ride

$14 Bus from Port Authority to Central NJ (prices are same for NJT riders)

Total Cost for me $21.25

For nyc dwellers: $16.25

For a family of 4 people= $65 to $94

Yeah, the choice is very obvious for me. With two people or more, its a obvious no brainer.

So charge the $20 bucks and use the funds for transit and highway improvements

Unfortunately, part of the Port Authority toll increase are used to pay for the Ground Zero rebuilding project. Also those tolls pay port authority police in outrageous overtime. Salaries have totalled over 200k for some officers.

Port Authority Cops Earning Over $200,000 in 2011 Thanks To Overtime

Upper Manhattan was easier to impose a highway for a reason-

The (A) was tunnled much more deeper in that section then in lower Manhattan,

And the community wasn't able to put up as effective an opposition to the expressway as those in Lower Manhattan were.

Lastly, the CBE f'ing destroyed the South Bronx, especially the Tremont section, giving that area no shot to recover after the bad days of the 70's, 80's and early 90's passed. It's not that hard to see there was so much opposition to the Lower Manhattan Expwy- because they they didn't want the same to happen to that area as it did to the South Bronx. Would Lower Manhattan be as appealing and dynamic today if it had an expressway rammed through it? I don't think so.

It would be so helpful. There are times I want to get to and from NJ without going through Manhattan's streets. But they're usually the most direct.

That's a lame excuse. Not all of those folks have limited transit options. Some of them just don't want to use public transportation and you and I both know that.

If I want to visit friends in NJ and drive around I drive. Taking the LIRR to NJT or the PATH and then a bus OR taking the Bus to the Subway, to the PAth, to a bus is lame. Open up your mind, Manhattan isn't always the destination, it's just in the middle.

who can blame them if you live in Jersey and have to work in Mineola or Melville. Do you take NJT change at Penn and then have to deal with LIRR's horrible reverse peak service then take a bus, or do you just get in teh car and go and deal with a lil traffic.

Exactly. Not to mention that a monthly pass on NJT and LIRR would cost more than tolls.

Archived