c40lf

mikexny

Just curious for those of you familiar with the new replacement bus.. how is the noise level of the bus? Is it much quiter than the old cng buses it is replacing? The old cng buses have a nasty low bass noise and very loud idle noise when pulling up to a bus stop. Noise levels would be appreciated? Are they similar in noise to the new diesel buses like the nova LFS or XD40?

The new C40LFs are much quieter than their older counterparts. When sitting idle, you won't hear the engine on the outside until you get to the rear of the bus. On the inside with the A/C off and the engine idle, quiet enough, you wouldn't think the bus is on.

Why is there so much deep bass on the old CNG buses? Is it from the engine or gas tank? I live nearby a bus stop and when the old cng buses zoom by I can feel the bass through the walls.. what are the new cng buses doing to eliminate this?

Why is there so much deep bass on the old CNG buses? Is it from the engine or gas tank? I live nearby a bus stop and when the old cng buses zoom by I can feel the bass through the walls.. what are the new cng buses doing to eliminate this?

The old C40 use DD50 engines, which are loud in every bus that uses them. While the new ones used Cummins ISL engine, which are quiet in every bus that uses them, Cummins put some kind of technology in those ISL engines that makes them really quiet.

But yea, I agree with you that the old C40s have a lot of bass, however I think that aspect of the old C40s is pretty cool. Part of the reason why I those buses are my favorite LF bus the TA has ever ordered.

But I can how someone would get annoyed by it if a JG route goes right by your house, VII CNGs are worst with the noise, IMO.

Well I won't lie but I wish they had the loud bass idle with roar take off but she is quiet for now,However I've noticed some sound a little better then others on take off from the outside and I do like when the retarder kicks in from the inside ....198/208/201 so far are my top picks but I've only driven some....we got like 40plus so give it time.I do like the old C40's take off :tup:

Archived