Bx39 / Bx41 late night swap proposal

GreatOne2k

Since the Bx39 had Clason Point service for the past two Sunday nights / Monday mornings (Christmas, New Years) until 1am, this proposal should be considered for late night service.

Extend late night Bx41 buses up to 241 St using existing service. Due to the long recovery time, buses can still make the trip and maintain the 60 minute headway.

Move the existing late night Bx39 service down to Pelham Parkway and run between Clason Point and Pelham Parkway late nights 60 minutes. This would make both the late night Bx39 and Bx41 more productive, pick up more passengers (Pelham Pkwy - Clason Pt) and keep service where people want it (Gun Hill - 241).

Doing this is like restoring the old Bx41 to E241st St..

For that I would cut the Bx39 completely from going north of Gun Hill and restore the Bx41 bus. Have the Bx39 bus run from Pelham Parkway to Clason Point (Late Nights).

Going off a bit, I see that the Bx39 runs from Gun Hill to 241st. I think thats a waste of money if you ask me. You can just take the (2) train instead. While I do admit people around Nereid & Baychester Avenue won't want to walk, it would save money to remove that Late night shuttle.

Bring back the Bx41 from 146th Street to 241st Street all day.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/bronx/bx039cur.pdf

Doing this is like restoring the old Bx41 to E241st St..

For that I would cut the Bx39 completely from going north of Gun Hill and restore the Bx41 bus. Have the Bx39 bus run from Pelham Parkway to Clason Point (Late Nights).

Going off a bit, I see that the Bx39 runs from Gun Hill to 241st. I think thats a waste of money if you ask me. You can just take the (2) train instead. While I do admit people around Nereid & Baychester Avenue won't want to walk, it would save money to remove that Late night shuttle.

Bring back the Bx41 from 146th Street to 241st Street all day.

MTA made the switch because the Bx39 had less service than the Bx41.

Bx39 to 241 should remain during the daytime though, otherwise MTA will have to spend more $$ running the Bx41 and Bx41 LTD to 241 St. Bx41 SBS can't run underneath the elevated.

Bx39 to 241 should remain during the daytime though, otherwise MTA will have to spend more $$ running the Bx41 and Bx41 LTD to 241 St. Bx41 SBS can't run underneath the elevated.

How do you know SBS can't run under an EL? Bee-Lines route 20 is suppose to get BRT service in the future, which would run under the Jerome EL. And its still unknown if ether the Bx15/Bx41/Bx55 is getting the +SBS. Ether or both yes.

You could also short turn the Limited or Local up to Gun Hill or 241st and have the rest of the route continue.

They could just send the limited up during rush hours, and send the local up other times. The Bx41 isn't that much more frequent than the Bx39 (but then again, they saved $1.1 million through the swap, so apparently the slight extra frequency adds up)

In any case, I think that Bx39 shuttle is pointless because it doesn't connect with the Bx41. They're better off just extending the Bx41 there and giving them direct service.

How do you know SBS can't run under an EL? Bee-Lines route 20 is suppose to get BRT service in the future, which would run under the Jerome EL. And its still unknown if ether the Bx15/Bx41/Bx55 is getting the +SBS. Ether or both yes.

You could also short turn the Limited or Local up to Gun Hill or 241st and have the rest of the route continue.

SBS wouldn't save much time under the el (harder to pass a local). Bx41 LIMITED made local stops north of Gun Hill Road. W21 BRT isn't going to be making that many stops under the el (only 3 stops), Bx41 SBS would have more stops under the el. Does MTA really want to make that many SBS stops north of Gun Hill Road with all those machines?

If Bx41 goes back to 241 St completely, MTA may cut the Bx39 back to its previous service starting at 7:30am on Sunday, not good. The swap did add service to the Bx39, and all current Clason Pt service should remain.

SBS wouldn't save much time under the el (harder to pass a local). Bx41 LIMITED made local stops north of Gun Hill Road. W21 BRT isn't going to be making that many stops under the el (only 3 stops), Bx41 SBS would have more stops under the el. Does MTA really want to make that many SBS stops north of Gun Hill Road with all those machines?

If Bx41 goes back to 241 St completely, MTA may cut the Bx39 back to its previous service starting at 7:30am on Sunday, not good. The swap did add service to the Bx39, and all current Clason Pt service should remain.

More stops under an EL? No.........

If an +SBS were on the Bx41, it ill likely just stop at 219th, 225th, 233rd. Which is 3 stops same for the W20 BRT. At Gun Hill it can use the sidewalk, and for 238th Street it ill use the corner. Thats IF +SBS happens along there, which really doubt. You already got the WPR EL there for use.

And there will be no W21 BRT, it ill only be the 20 Local and 20 Queen Bee BRT, 21 is going to be discontinued.

They could just send the limited up during rush hours, and send the local up other times. The Bx41 isn't that much more frequent than the Bx39 (but then again, they saved $1.1 million through the swap, so apparently the slight extra frequency adds up)

In any case, I think that Bx39 shuttle is pointless because it doesn't connect with the Bx41. They're better off just extending the Bx41 there and giving them direct service.

The Bx39 shuttle does connect with the BX41 st Gun Hill. But regardless, I find it a waste of money having a Shuttle. It duplicates the (2) right above.

The Bx39 shuttle does connect with the BX41 st Gun Hill. But regardless, I find it a waste of money having a Shuttle. It duplicates the (2) right above.

I meant in terms of the headway. The Bx39 runs every 50 minutes, whereas the Bx41 runs every 60 minutes

I meant in terms of the headway. The Bx39 runs every 50 minutes, whereas the Bx41 runs every 60 minutes

That pretty much makes me wonder if the MTA really wants to remove bus service off White Plains Road for good, with all these changes.

hell w/ just a late night swap... they should revert to the pre 6/2010 routings of both of those routes....

That pretty much makes me wonder if the MTA really wants to remove bus service off White Plains Road for good, with all these changes.

At this rate, Bx39 Clason Point - Pelham Parkway is what's goin end up happenin :P

The truncation of the 41 made the eventual gettin rid of bus service along WPR under the el that much easier....

I would not be surprised if they're lookin to move the BxM11 off WPR as well, as we speak....

in terms of running Limits or SBS buses under an EL its pointless. Its highly irritating when im on BXM11 that has caught up to a Bx39 under WPR El. The BxM11 essentially makes all local stops behind the Bx39.. But I actually think the switch has helped Bx39 Headways and I would be against changing current service on WPR.

in terms of running Limits or SBS buses under an EL its pointless. Its highly irritating when im on BXM11 that has caught up to a Bx39 under WPR El. The BxM11 essentially makes all local stops behind the Bx39.. But I actually think the switch has helped Bx39 Headways and I would be against changing current service on WPR.

it does suck. express, limited, or SBS, whatever you wanna call it, under an EL its a local.

What if the BxM11 ran on Bronxwood Ave instead? Then it could make express stops for real. Dunno how feasible that is, but its crossed my mind a few times tho.

Then take Boston Rd around Allerton to Pelham pkwy, bx zoo and onto Bx River Pkwy.

How to handle north of 233rd St would be a problem.

Putting the Bx41 back would also mean more buses that the BxM11 is stuck behind.

The change has also helped the span of service as well, reverting the routings back could cause the MTA to start cutting service as well.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/f90/bx39-service-span-changes-23522.html

Notice the bolded times that were changed from the previous times. Most of the changes except ending 9 minutes earlier S/B on Sunday nights where good.

Putting the Bx41 back would also mean more buses that the BxM11 is stuck behind.

Oh stop it.... now you're so concerned with the timeliness of the 11....

Where was that complaint about too many 41's impeding BxM11 service back when the 41 ran up WPR.....

you said it yourself:

The Bx41 isn't that much more frequent than the Bx39

Oh stop it.... now you're so concerned with the timeliness of the 11....

Where was that complaint about too many 41's impeding BxM11 service back when the 41 ran up WPR.....

you said it yourself:

I didn't say that, checkmate said that.

Bx41/Bx41 LTD combined service during rush hours is almost double the Bx39 service, (in some cases it is exactly doubled depending upon time and direction).

No sense running the Bx41 SBS, or LTD under the elevated anyway along with the local.

Someone else mentioned the BxM11 getting stuck behind the Bx39 and if that bus is stuck behind Bx39 buses now, it would have more traffic north of Gun Hill Road, especially during rush hours with the Bx41 and Bx41 LTD.

Well, I'm too lazy to check the Bx28 schedule, but it's possible that they're trying to find a headway that means that the riders can connect with either a Bx28 or Bx41.

But I definitely agree it's suspicious the way they're doing the overnight Bx39.

I would not be surprised if they're lookin to move the BxM11 off WPR as well, as we speak....

To where? Bronxwood Avenue?

you said it yourself:

That was me who said that.

it does suck. express, limited, or SBS, whatever you wanna call it, under an EL its a local.

What if the BxM11 ran on Bronxwood Ave instead? Then it could make express stops for real. Dunno how feasible that is, but its crossed my mind a few times tho.

Then take Boston Rd around Allerton to Pelham pkwy, bx zoo and onto Bx River Pkwy.

How to handle north of 233rd St would be a problem.

BxM11 could run on Bronx Park East / Bronx Boulevard until Gun Hill Road (where they would have to climb down stairs to access the bus stop there), after that would be a problem since Bronx Boulevard becomes one way N/B, unless they used another nearby Avenue for S/B service

he is saying SBS can't directly duplicate the subway otherwise you defeat the purpose of it.

he is saying SBS can't directly duplicate the subway otherwise you defeat the purpose of it.

Not exactly, SBS could easily run above the Second Avenue Subway (as it will eventually), or the Grand Concourse Subway (as wone of the original SBS plans had this as a potential corridor) where it could easily pass other buses. SBS running under an Elevated can't pass local buses so easily due to the el pillars blocking the lanes in certain areas.

hell w/ just a late night swap... they should revert to the pre 6/2010 routings of both of those routes....

At this rate, Bx39 Clason Point - Pelham Parkway is what's goin end up happenin ;)

The truncation of the 41 made the eventual gettin rid of bus service along WPR under the el that much easier....

The BxM11, eh.. That route is pretty much made for those over in Wakefield who want a fast service to Manhattan then using the (2). Vs. Those along White Plains Road who would use the (2) instead.

I wouldn't imagine that being cut.

The BxM11 could also use the service road on the side, but that idk, due to parked cars and passengers standing under the EL.

Best is just to reroute it.

For the Bx41 vs Bx39 to 241. I still see loads of passengers making a transfer between both. I think the Bx39 should go back to Gun Hill and restore the Bx41 to 241st.

The BxM11, eh.. That route is pretty much made for those over in Wakefield who want a fast service to Manhattan then using the (2). Vs. Those along White Plains Road who would use the (2) instead.

The BxM11 could also use the service road on the side, but that idk, due to parked cars and passengers standing under the EL.

Best is just to reroute it.

For the Bx41 vs Bx39 to 241. I still see loads of passengers making a transfer between both. I think the Bx39 should go back to Gun Hill and restore the Bx41 to 241st.

Do you also see some people transferring to/from the Bx55 at Gun Hill Rd?

Do you also see some people transferring to/from the Bx55 at Gun Hill Rd?

I've gotta check again for Northbound Bx55, I know the Bx55 SB has moderate ridership like the Bx41 does during the PM Rush. But the Bx55 sees moderate in between Webster/Gun Hill to Bedford Park Blvd.

Bx41 is pretty packed heading towards the terminal I can say that.

real quick....

I didn't say that, checkmate said that.

That was me who said that.

I stand corrected.... my opinion of the original comment, remains unchanged....

The BxM11, eh.. That route is pretty much made for those over in Wakefield who want a fast service to Manhattan then using the . Vs. Those along White Plains Road who would use the instead.

- The 1st part, I understand all that.....

- The 2nd part... not cut, but shifted somewheres else....

To where? Bronxwood Avenue?

wouldn't put it past em.... parallel the 8, like the Bxm10 parallels the 31.... of course, the riderbase would change drastically....

Archived