Off the clock, but in uniform

LexAveExp5

so i get on the bus yesterday, and just as a matter of habit i jumped on first ahead of a little old lady. i do this all the time so i didnt think anything of it. but as i put my metrocard in the collection box, i hear her say "geez, has he ever heard of 'ladies first'?"

so i began to wonder...if i was a train operator on my commute to work with my uniform on, would she be able to file a complaint and get me in trouble? it's not against any rules, but would anything considered "rude" be against the (MTA) code of ethics? how does the fact that im in my uniform and off the clock play into this?

on a similar subject, while in uniform and off the clock, are train operators allowed to ride in the operators cab in the last car? i see it all the time and even saw a cop take out her key and hang out in there, but i also see people hang out in the 1st car cab with the operator and i know that's not allowed because thats a distraction to the operator, so maybe riding in the back isnt allowed either? that would be a nice perk of the job though, to have a guaranteed seat and a little breathing room on your commute home ;)

so i get on the bus yesterday, and just as a matter of habit i jumped on first ahead of a little old lady. i do this all the time so i didnt think anything of it. but as i put my metrocard in the collection box, i hear her say "geez, has he ever heard of 'ladies first'?"

so i began to wonder...if i was a train operator on my commute to work with my uniform on, would she be able to file a complaint and get me in trouble? it's not against any rules, but would anything considered "rude" be against the (MTA) code of ethics? how does the fact that im in my uniform and off the clock play into this?

on a similar subject, while in uniform and off the clock, are train operators allowed to ride in the operators cab in the last car? i see it all the time and even saw a cop take out her key and hang out in there, but i also see people hang out in the 1st car cab with the operator and i know that's not allowed because thats a distraction to the operator, so maybe riding in the back isnt allowed either? that would be a nice perk of the job though, to have a guaranteed seat and a little breathing room on your commute home ;)

This is really food for thought for all of us, especially us new employees.

Well, I doubt you they can file a complaint against you even of you're in uniform because there's no way to identify who to call into office -- you guys don't have badges. However, in the event they were able identify and call you in, the only words you should be saying is "no knowledge"... That's it.

Personal note: not sure you think it's OK to jump in front of everyone just to get on the bus, especially the elderly. It is rude. Bus isn't going to leave any faster with you on board first.

As for riding the op's cab off the clock, it's not wise especially of you're on probation. If there's a supervisor on board and happens to see you in the back or even up front talking to the operator, you kinda draw unwanted attention to both you guys. Not wise. The senior people get away with it cause of their time of course.

As for riding the op's cab off the clock, it's not wise especially of you're on probation. If there's a supervisor on board and happens to see you in the back or even up front talking to the operator, you kinda draw unwanted attention to both you guys. Not wise. The senior people get away with it cause of their time of course.

Since im a Train Operator ill chime in on this..

Its against the Rules to ride in a cab not in use..

You can and WILL get written up for it if seen..

It has nothing to do with Seniority....

BTW all i have to say is "Code Of Conduct" Its applies ON or OFF the Clock MTA folks!!!!

READ that Rule Book and know the rules..

If you get down to Labor Relations they will have a gaggle of Rule Book Violations that you never even heard of...

Real Talk, know your Job!

Never ride showing the patch/pass, always tote a fleece/sweatshirt. If SHTF, on duty/off duty, whatever, people will harass you cause your there. Blend/ disappear..

Don't ride in unoccupied train cabs, especially the last car. You stick out like a sore thumb.

Excellent advice.

To add on to that, Even in summer...bring an alternate shirt and take off your work shirt in the locker room before you go home.

MTA may mean "money thrown away" but it also means "must trouble for answers"...in uniform and off duty you WILL get questions. you can work for subways and get asked "why is this bus not running", yelled at because the train is rerouted today, or asked impossible questions like "i have to take this 2 local train to franklin...i forget if its avenue or street...can you tell me where to go?"

save yourself the hassle.

That's so true about the Code of Conduct. Whether you're on or off duty, riding for free, walking around off the property with that patch on, you're representing the agency and you definitely need to act accordingly as you would wearing any uniform. So, OP, let the little old ladies go first, give up your seat, especially if you "flashed" that pass and didn't dip it. Don't call unwanted attention to yourself, plain and simple, and you won't have any problems.

• 3 weeks later...
Why would u skip anyone let alone old ladies forget the job where is your reg ular human dignity.

Unfortunately this is the problem with today's culture. Everyone is out for them selves. Very few still believe in holding doors open for their co-inhabitants and letting women and children go first. I see it all day long. People will push in front of others because they are going to miss their train. The train that doesn't leave for a half hour or better.

Why would u skip anyone let alone old ladies forget the job where is your reg ular human dignity.

Just to get the better spots. Corner seats, window seats, etc. If its standing room only on the subway then a door to lean on, etc. Its all about comfort to get through the ride

Archived