State Approves Funding to Finish SAS, 7 Line Ext., and ESA.

N-Trizzy2609

ALBANY —

Gov. Cuomo and legislative leaders finalized a deal Sunday to fund the final three years of the MTA’s five-year capital program, the Daily News has learned.

The $13.1 billion agreement means projects like the Second Ave. subway, an East Side access line for the Long Island Rail Road, extension of the No. 7 line and completion of the Fulton St. transit center can move forward as planned, insiders said.

“This represents the greatest commitment to the MTA from a governor in recent history,” a source said.

It will also allow the MTA to go ahead with the purchase of subway and rail cars, a green bus program, station and communication improvement, and new elevators and escalators.

“It signals improvements for the rider experience while ensuring the backbone for the economic system in New York remains in place,” a source said.

The insider said a fully funded capital plan means 20,000 new jobs a year and an overall economic impact of $37 billion.

The deal does not affect scheduled fare hikes.

In 2009, the MTA put together a $24 billion capital plan that the state only funded for the first two years at $9.1 billion and cut by

$1.6 billion last year.

The deal to close the gap will be in a budget bill to be voted on as early as Wednesday.

The state will kick in $700 million over three years.

The MTA bond cap will be increased by $7 billion and the state will seek a low-interest loan.

Looks like the Second Avenue Subway is on track as well as ESA.

Well I'm not sure how deep 96 will eventually be, I know the 63-Lex complex is indeed very deep, and I know the Lex local passes over it, I'm not sure if the Lex express passes over or under it as well. If 96th is as deep or only slightly shallower than 63-Lex, it will be a decent upgrade just to utilize the already completed cut/cover segments north of the area, only to dive down again to finish at 125 under the downtown Lex, which is already three levels down (mezzanine, uptown Lex, downtown Lex).

Well phase 2 (if they incorporate the existing segments) shouldn't be too expensive as they wouldn't have to dig up as much ground. I do hope at least they complete phase 2 in our lifetime as well.

As said before, I suspect you will at worst see an abbreviated Phase 2 to 116th Street since that would only involve a minimal amount of cut-and-cover work between existing segments, and if necessary to save costs from there do the part from the end of the existing segment to 125th/Lexington as elevated. Whether than part were done as subway as planned or as elevated to save money, I would do it with provisions to have the SAS later go across 125th Street to an eventual terminal at Broadway-12th Avenue that would be finished around the time Columbia University completes its planned expansion.

As said before, I suspect you will at worst see an abbreviated Phase 2 to 116th Street since that would only involve a minimal amount of cut-and-cover work between existing segments, and if necessary to save costs from there do the part from the end of the existing segment to 125th/Lexington as elevated. Whether than part were done as subway as planned or as elevated to save money, I would do it with provisions to have the SAS later go across 125th Street to an eventual terminal at Broadway-12th Avenue that would be finished around the time Columbia University completes its planned expansion.

Epic_Facepalm.jpg

He and his Columbia U, as if its one of the biggest players in the region that would warrant a subway as structure nonetheless going across 125th (somehow getting over MNR) to the west side, even people will be piling on that 1 just like they do now to go to midtown, lol.

I highly doubt the MTA would pass upt the chance to save money. And I just noticed the ventilation grates (filled with concrete) so all they'd have to do for that is knock out the concrete in the grates in the completed sections when construction continues. Link up the completed sections and bore to Lex/125. Saving quite a bit of money.

He and his Columbia U, as if its one of the biggest players in the region that would warrant a subway as structure nonetheless going across 125th (somehow getting over MNR) to the west side, even people will be piling on that 1 just like they do now to go to midtown, lol.

Well, it's not just Comumbia University, but Wagner High School, etc. Schools always seem to deserve their own subway line or entrance, but how about using that kind of money to keep them from closing down?

Archived