Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

The Q60 turns left on Archer Avenue, up 147 Place, and starts on Sutphin Blvd and Jamaica Avenue. That's what all the Q60 short-turns do.

They actually turn left on Archer?

News to me... You'd think that'd be dangerous, since there's that stop right there on sutphin, short of Archer (I know exactly what pizza spot Q43 is talkin bout too).... Sutphin has 'nuff SB traffic traveling along it; don't see how they pull that off - well feasibly anyway.....

Thanks though......

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They actually turn left on Archer?

News to me... You'd think that'd be dangerous, since there's that stop right there on sutphin, short of Archer (I know exactly what pizza spot Q43 is talkin bout too).... Sutphin has 'nuff SB traffic traveling along it; don't see how they pull that off - well feasibly anyway.....

Thanks though......

Yeah, and just to confirm, here's a pic of one making a turn.

10544930773_4cb19d2d46_b.jpg

Yeah, and just to confirm, here's a pic of one making a turn.

Ok, so that solves the turning left part, but.....

How do you explain this: Archer/150th/94th/Sutphin

(Spikecat/Spike54 has a real vested interest in turnaround scenarios & has had so for years in this community, so I know he's not gonna be that off when it comes to that sort of thing)

That can't be right... I have personally seen Q60's start at Suthpin and Archer.

That's what I was wondering, because I've taken Q60's that started @ Sutphin/Archer (SE corner)....

I've never seen a Q60 start over there @ Sutphin/Jamaica....

Edited by B35 via Church

Yeah, the fact of the matter is, you can't terminate every 60 @ the RR station (with the 30/31/43 already doing so in that immediate area).....

That's the main problem with the suggesting of cutting all 60 service to Sutphin/Archer.....

What he's saying is that he wants to remove the Q60 from serving S. Jamaica (meaning, the portion south of Sutphin/Archer)....

His aim is to cut back the Q60 to the LIRR station.... The "lost area" he's talking about is the portion of the Q60 south of the LIRR station.....

As for what you're saying.... You had a valid point with this post, up until you had to try to one-up his suggestion with one of your own, and it backfired...... With the loads the Q6 gets, diverting Q6's over to 109th/157th would be even worse than having Q40's do that.... So "why make Q6 waste time", especially during the rush!

You do have a point.

Ok, so that solves the turning left part, but.....

How do you explain this: Archer/150th/94th/Sutphin

(Spikecat/Spike54 has a real vested interest in turnaround scenarios & has had so for years in this community, so I know he's not gonna be that off when it comes to that sort of thing)

That's what I was wondering, because I've taken Q60's that started @ Sutphin/Archer (SE corner)....

I've never seen a Q60 start over there @ Sutphin/Jamaica....

Q23 probably got it confused with short turned Q6's starting at Suthpin and Archer to go to Rockaway Blvd or Nassau Expwy. I've seen buses on Jamaica idle.

Q23 probably got it confused with short turned Q6's starting at Suthpin and Archer to go to Rockaway Blvd or Nassau Expwy. I've seen buses on Jamaica idle.

Well that Q60 I took a photo did the scenario I explained above, maybe it did that to not fall behind on schedule. I do think the latter turnover is more feasible than the former, but alright.

....I do think the latter turnover is more feasible than the former, but alright.

I may as well ask, since no one posted in here since then.....

What do you mean by this statement; what is the *latter* & what is the *former* (turnaround) that you're referring to with this?

Q39 proposal - route tweaking in Ridgewood.

The current southern end of the Q39 is in a residential area along residential streets. While it is on an island not adjoining any houses, the MTA and NYCDOT really could be better neighbors...and leaving the stand, there is a sharp turn from Cooper Avenue onto 60 Lane. As such, I would propose a slight extension through Ridgewood.

Eastbound, via 61 Street...left St. Felix, continue onto Cooper, and end at Cypress Hills Street, laying over by Drumm Triangle on the part of Cooper Avenue that borders the cemetery.

Westbound, from stand, loop around Drumm Triangle, right onto Cooper, right onto 62 Street, left onto 75 Avenue, and regular. The number of residential streets used in Ridgewood would be reduced, but the Q39 would catch more of the neighborhood.

Q7 to JFK Post Office...

Instead of turning on to 150th on Rockaway Blvd.. Proceed to go straight down Rockaway Blvd basically following old Q6 route into airport straight to the post office....

Q6 (Limited.. Send ALL Limiteds) to Terminal 5...Via Sutphin Blvd to 150th St... 150th St into Airport to the JFK Expwy.... JFK Expwy to Terminal 5

Doing this will give Airport Riders another Option to the Jamaica Area besides the Q3 and AirTrain

Q39 proposal - route tweaking in Ridgewood.

The current southern end of the Q39 is in a residential area along residential streets. While it is on an island not adjoining any houses, the MTA and NYCDOT really could be better neighbors...and leaving the stand, there is a sharp turn from Cooper Avenue onto 60 Lane. As such, I would propose a slight extension through Ridgewood.

Eastbound, via 61 Street...left St. Felix, continue onto Cooper, and end at Cypress Hills Street, laying over by Drumm Triangle on the part of Cooper Avenue that borders the cemetery.

Westbound, from stand, loop around Drumm Triangle, right onto Cooper, right onto 62 Street, left onto 75 Avenue, and regular. The number of residential streets used in Ridgewood would be reduced, but the Q39 would catch more of the neighborhood.

I thought about this very thing for the Q39 some time ago... Then realizing the way that the Q55 & B13 are utilized in that section of the neighborhood, I figured there wouldn't be much of a benefit, usage-wise, to extending the Q39 over by the cemetary.... The fact of the matter is, riders down there are more concerned with to getting to Fresh Pond rd (commercial Ridgewood; around the (M)) and/or getting to the area around Ridgewood Terminal.....

It would make for a better terminal/layover area/turnaround for the Q39, but that's really about it.... There isn't a real advantage besides that..... These aren't the folks that are tryna get to Industrial Maspeth or Court Sq./QBP.....

The most important thing to do first is to close service gaps, not add layers of service, which would be a waste of our tax dollars.

For example, there is no route that traverses Utopia Pkwy. Service in the Fresh Meadows area needs to be straightened out, the Q64 must be extended, and the Q75 must be restored during rush hours and extended to Queensborough Community College. Also, in central Queens, the Q38 must be broken up, and service via Cypress Avenue, which had 90% of the former B18's ridership, must be restored.

And, for the long term, to end the border discrimination between Queens and Nassau County.

Let's kill Operations Planning's notion that noone tells them how to plan.

The most important thing to do first is to close service gaps, not add layers of service, which would be a waste of our tax dollars.

For example, there is no route that traverses Utopia Pkwy. Service in the Fresh Meadows area needs to be straightened out, the Q64 must be extended, and the Q75 must be restored during rush hours and extended to Queensborough Community College. Also, in central Queens, the Q38 must be broken up, and service via Cypress Avenue, which had 90% of the former B18's ridership, must be restored.

And, for the long term, to end the border discrimination between Queens and Nassau County.

Extend the Q64 to some place in Fresh Meadows it's going to kill its reliablity. In my opinion the Q64 is one of the most reliable routes in the city. It's runs on time it's fast and you want to hurt it by closing gals. The Q75 is never being restored because the Q17 and Q88 covered its route. No one is really having problems with the Q75 being gone because the Q76 from Francis Lewis goes to the (F) the Q88 has a transfer to the Q17. The route that should have its Saturday and Sunday service restored is the Q31 Utopia parkway little coverage above Horace Harding Expressway. Nothing is going to Jamaica the Q27 goes to Flushing, Q13 goes to Flushing, the Q28 goes to Flushing but nothing to Jamaica. And enough with all these routes going to Queens borough comity college. Two routes is enough one to Flushing and one to Jamaica. QCC is not that special, people are like send the Q26, Q64, Q31, Q76 but it doesn't need all that. The Q38 split up was talked about enough. what is reduce waiting times.

Extend the Q64 to some place in Fresh Meadows it's going to kill its reliablity. In my opinion the Q64 is one of the most reliable routes in the city. It's runs on time it's fast and you want to hurt it by closing gals. The Q75 is never being restored because the Q17 and Q88 covered its route. No one is really having problems with the Q75 being gone because the Q76 from Francis Lewis goes to the (F) the Q88 has a transfer to the Q17. The route that should have its Saturday and Sunday service restored is the Q31 Utopia parkway little coverage above Horace Harding Expressway. Nothing is going to Jamaica the Q27 goes to Flushing, Q13 goes to Flushing, the Q28 goes to Flushing but nothing to Jamaica. And enough with all these routes going to Queens borough comity college. Two routes is enough one to Flushing and one to Jamaica. QCC is not that special, people are like send the Q26, Q64, Q31, Q76 but it doesn't need all that. The Q38 split up was talked about enough. what is reduce waiting times.

My logic behind this is to have a true HHE route that operates all times.

For a route that traverses Utopia Pkwy, other structural changes would have to occur.

BTW, the Q31 will have its weekend service restored effective Summer 2014.

Demand on HHE drops significantly east of 188th. Logically, I could maybe see putting the 88 on HHE as far as Springfield and then having it turn onto its normal route (to serve QCC), while extending the 64. However, this would most definitely require both a reduction in Q30 service, and the establishment of a Jewel/73rd LTD (which would probably operate the same way the Q46 LTD/local works during peak hours: a local making all stops from 164th to Forest Hills, and a limited making local stops from Springfield to 164th, and then stops at Kissena/Parsons (whichever one the Q25 is on by that time) and Main.

I also don't know how much you could change a route before NYCDOE decides that it's too much; keep in mind that the Q64 is an MTA Bus route currently subsidized by the City. Extending it to nearly twice its current length would probably be too much for NYCDOE to contemplate; plus, are there even enough buses for such a change?

I would consider an elimination of all QM10 buses

QM12's in the PM would be rerouted to use 63 Road in the afternoon, and in the morning, go up Jct Blvd, then 57 Avenue, then Hoffman Drive and follow the QM10 (6 Avenue) Route. 

All stops would have alternatives, however the people using the stops at Westside Avenue, and the 99 street stops (57 & 60 Avenues), would have to walk across the LIE for the QM12. (up to 0.4 mile extra)

Extend the Q64 to some place in Fresh Meadows it's going to kill its reliablity. In my opinion the Q64 is one of the most reliable routes in the city. It's runs on time it's fast and you want to hurt it by closing gals. The Q75 is never being restored because the Q17 and Q88 covered its route. No one is really having problems with the Q75 being gone because the Q76 from Francis Lewis goes to the (F) the Q88 has a transfer to the Q17. The route that should have its Saturday and Sunday service restored is the Q31 Utopia parkway little coverage above Horace Harding Expressway. Nothing is going to Jamaica the Q27 goes to Flushing, Q13 goes to Flushing, the Q28 goes to Flushing but nothing to Jamaica.

And enough with all these routes going to Queens borough comity college. Two routes is enough one to Flushing and one to Jamaica. QCC is not that special, people are like send the Q26, Q64, Q31, Q76 but it doesn't need all that.

The Q38 split up was talked about enough. what is reduce waiting times.

You make it sound like people are suggesting all those routes go there at once....

It's not about QCC being "that special" anyway, it's about making other routes more useful than what they are..... I don't agree with the latter 3 routes mentioned going there either, but I do think the 26 should run supplementary to the 27 to QCC (instead of to hollis court, where it turns off)....

Anyway, extending the Q64 eastward I'm tired of talking about.... I'm also one that says that route should remain right where it is; ending @ 164th....

I would consider an elimination of all QM10 buses

QM12's in the PM would be rerouted to use 63 Road in the afternoon, and in the morning, go up Jct Blvd, then 57 Avenue, then Hoffman Drive and follow the QM10 (6 Avenue) Route. 

All stops would have alternatives, however the people using the stops at Westside Avenue, and the 99 street stops (57 & 60 Avenues), would have to walk across the LIE for the QM12. (up to 0.4 mile extra)

How is 63 rd an alternative for the LeFrak folks?

I can assure you no one will walk from 63rd to the north side of the LIE....

See, it's either screw LeFrak folks with cutting the QM10 or screw the Rego Park patrons on the south side of the LIE (62dr/63 rd) with cutting the QM10 & somehow/someway having QM12's serve LeFrak....

That's the problem w/ axing the QM10.

Usually, the idea/consensus is to combine the 10/11; which basically prolongs the s*** out of that route in Manhattan (serving lower & midtown)....

Edited by B35 via Church

If the Q88 would become a true HHE route, then the Q64 would have to be extended, the Q75 would have to be restored, and the Q30 would only operate weekdays and only between Jamaica and QCC. The Q64 would also have short trips that would operate to/from Utopia Pkwy.

But, should there be a route that traverses Utopia Pkwy, and there is a demand for it, many structural changes would have to occur.

I don't think there is need for a true HHE route. The current set up has work since the Q88 was introduced in the mid 70's. The problem is there are not many people past 188st that are going to take the bus to Queens Blvd. Many people don't like local trains because they are slow but if the (E)(F) was to serve Woodhaven Blvd I could see people doing it especially with a LTD service so that it doesn't run too slow.

If the Q88 would become a true HHE route, then the Q64 would have to be extended, the Q75 would have to be restored, and the Q30 would only operate weekdays and only between Jamaica and QCC. The Q64 would also have short trips that would operate to/from Utopia Pkwy.

But, should there be a route that traverses Utopia Pkwy, and there is a demand for it, many structural changes would have to occur.

All of which have their own issues. The Q64 may not be extendable to nearly twice its length due to the fact that NYCDOT is paying for it. The Q75 was a failure when it ran.

Also, do you have any sort of data about the Utopia Pkwy statement?

....But, should there be a route that traverses Utopia Pkwy, and there is a demand for it, many structural changes would have to occur.

That's the problem, there's no demand for it.....

All of which have their own issues. The Q64 may not be extendable to nearly twice its length due to the fact that NYCDOT is paying for it. The Q75 was a failure when it ran.....

Thanks for pointing out the practicality in this particular instance..... That general service area is where applied theory would fail.

A utopia route has been talked about here before; don't feel like reiterating the same points right now....

....But you can look on a bus map, and know that the next bus west of Francis Lewis Blvd that traverses Queens is Parsons Blvd/Main St.

This doesn't mean a bus route should run up Utopia pkwy.....

No, I don't.

But you can look on a bus map, and know that the next bus west of Francis Lewis Blvd that traverses Queens is Parsons Blvd/Main St.

There's not that much demand in Queens that wants to cross Northern; north of Northern is overwhelmingly single-family residential. Heck, there's not that much demand to go to Northern even; you've got all the restaurants and things there, but those are automobile-oriented destinations with huge parking lots and uninviting sidewalks.

The only sizeable demand to cross Northern north-south is to serve schools, which the Q76 and Q31 currently do.