Crane car in the subway

QM1to6Ave

I was waiting for the (F) tonight at about 9:30 and a work train passed through the station, as often happens right before 10 pm. One of the cars was a big Mantis crane car, like the one below. I understand how the crane car is useful out in open, like on aboveground tracks. However, it looked like this crane was going to be used in the tunnels.

What exactly are these cranes used for in the tunnels? I can;t imagine that they can extend or even raise the boom since those tunnels are so tight. Do they use it as a sort of pulley or something? What is the point of these cranes in the tunnels?

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?67655

How do you know that it was going to be used in a tunnel?

Obviously, I do not know that. It was an assumption, since I often see these crane cars going towards an area where there is a GO that is only on an underground portion of track, such as the Queens Boulevard line, right before the GO is set to begin. Are these cranes never used in the tunnels?

Where were you?

West 4th Street

@ OP

Crane cars are used to transport, drop, and arrange those rails at a work site. Have you ever seen rails stored between running rails or adjacent to in service tracks? Those rails were brought there by crane cars. There are different types of crane cars used in the system but their basic functions are the same. It's also possible you saw a crane car being transferred from one yard to another, either to be serviced or to pick up/drop off new or old rail. Hope this answers your question somewhat. Carry on.

Obviously, I do not know that. It was an assumption, since I often see these crane cars going towards an area where there is a GO that is only on an underground portion of track, such as the Queens Boulevard line, right before the GO is set to begin. Are these cranes never used in the tunnels?

I saw them on the (2)(5) in the Bronx and 62 St on the (D)(M). Thats it.

• 1 month later...

Yes crane cars are used in the subway. If you look closely you will see the "boom" is hooked down so it cannot be raised. The turret is only unhooked in wide areas so the crane can do a side pick. The crane is very helpful in dropping off and picking up sticks ( single rails).

Archived