This is new....

S78 via Hylan

I have never seen this before......

Planned Work

sir.png No trains between St George and Tompkinsville

shuttle_bus.png Free shuttle buses provide alternate service

Weekend, 9 PM Fri to 4 AM Mon, Apr 13 - 16

sir.png Service operates between Tompkinsville and Tottenville Stations.

shuttle_bus.png Shuttle buses run between St George and Tompkinsville Stations.

• Transfer between buses and trains at Tompkinsville.

It's on mta.info if you guys wanna check it out for yourself.

My question is: Why would anyone want to take a shuttle bus from St.George to Tompkinsville when they can simply walk there? I know you have to pay at Tompkinsville too, but I think a shuttle bus is pretty useless since there are several routes from the ferry terminal which people can take to reach Tompkinsville.

If you think about it, even though there are a ton of routes from St. George to Tompkinsville, you still have the issue of paying the fare. Going to the ferry, it's simple: Just let everybody on for free who gets on at Victory & Bay, but going back, you don't know whether the person needs a free ride to get to Tompkinsville, or if they're just going to get a free ride all the way to their destination (say, if you're on the S46, you could say you're going to go to Tompkinsville, and then you get a free ride to Port Richmond).

There isn't going to be another bus for 20 minutes, so you can go ahead and walk it, you should get there before the bus.

I dunno about you guys, but I wasn't complaning, because it shortened my walk to Stapleton.

Well it all depends. If the shuttle is there and you only have a few minutes to get to the ferry then the shuttle can come in pretty handy, so it isn't that dumb. I've been in situations where I've had to walk from Bay & Victory to the ferry and wish a bus was coming so that I didn't have to run all the way to the terminal. It's actually okay if you're strolling about, but that is a good little run if you're in a rush, plus you'll probably have to run once you reach the terminal to run to the ferry itself.

Well it all depends. If the shuttle is there and you only have a few minutes to get to the ferry then the shuttle can come in pretty handy, so it isn't that dumb. I've been in situations where I've had to walk from Bay & Victory to the ferry and wish a bus was coming so that I didn't have to run all the way to the terminal. It's actually okay if you're strolling about, but that is a good little run if you're in a rush, plus you'll probably have to run once you reach the terminal to run to the ferry itself.

I have been in that situation before, so in a way it does make sense. It all depends on where you have to go.

So what ramp does the bus start from, and where does the bus terminate? (I know it terminates at Victory & Bay, but does it turn onto that dead-end portion of Victory or what?)

It cannot posibbly turn there because there is a lot of construction going on over there. Last time I was in that area, the construction filled up the entire dead end.

So what ramp does the bus start from, and where does the bus terminate? (I know it terminates at Victory & Bay, but does it turn onto that dead-end portion of Victory or what?)

I used the shuttle bus both Friday and Saturday evening.

The bus is located on the "Skyway", accessed in the hallway of the St. George Ferry Terminal across from bus ramp A. There is a s66 stop where the bus is located. It simply says "Subway Shuttle."

The route to Tompkinsville SIR is as follows:

1) Depart SI Ferry Terminal, Ramp A

2) Left on Bay Street

3) Right on Victory Blvd.

4) Left on St. Pauls Ave.

5) Left on Hannah St.

6) Left on Bay Street

7) Arrive on N/B side of Bay Street

BTW, the third segment of transferring from the subway (A) to the SIR (at Tompkinsville) to the s59 or s79 (at Eltingville Station) does not work. Thankfully I had a zero balance on my MetroCard and was not double charged. I am reaching out to the MTA about this.

And I took the express bus inbound in the morning. :)

BTW, the third segment of transferring from the subway (A) to the SIR (at Tompkinsville) to the s59 or s79 (at Eltingville Station) does not work. Thankfully I had a zero balance on my MetroCard and was not double charged. I am reaching out to the MTA about this.

I believe it works at St George only.

It will be happening again this weekend....

Effective Fri, Apr 20 through Mon, Apr 23 , 2012

Beginning at 9:00 PM Friday, April 20, 2012 and continuing through to 4:00 AM Monday, April 23, 2012 there will be 55 hours of round-the-clock work to perform Capital Maintenance and Repairs inside the Tunnel located in St. George. All trains will be terminating at Tompkinsville Station and SHUTTLE BUSES will transport our customers between Tompkinsville and St. George.

ST. GEORGE SHUTTLE BUSES WILL LEAVE FROM THE SKYWAY

TOMPKINSVILLE BUSES WILL LEAVE FROM BAY ST. AND VICTORY BLVD.

You are urged to allow extra travel time to avoid missed connections.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for riding the Staten Island Railway.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived