Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see why they can't finish the first two phases by 2020 . . . money. Yes, the same thing that stopped construction of the SAS the first two times.

Money stopped the previous attempts because there was not enough motivation to build it and something else more urgent could always be found. Tunnel segments were scarce and were scattered. Now that so much of first phase has been completed, the possibility of a Governor Christie-style cancellation is practically nil. When this phase is successfully completed, enough existing tunnel segments are available north to spur further construction.

This is an article from about 2 months ago:

Source: The MTA Wants to Deny the Bronx a New Subway | Suite101.com

I was under the impression that a station at 125 Street and 2 Avenue wasn't possible due to the water or impediment to future extension to the Bronx.

Any comments?

HA SUCKERS. NO (T) TO BEDFORD PARK BOULEVARD YOU FOAMERS.

But seriously, until we see a drastic reason to put a subway in the Bronx, I am in full agreement. Why waste money on something you don't need?

Edited by Brighton Express

HA SUCKERS. NO (T) TO BEDFORD PARK BOULEVARD YOU FOAMERS.

But seriously, until we see a drastic reason to put a subway in the Bronx, I am in full agreement. Why waste money on something you don't need?

Who needs more service to Bedford Park Boulevard anyway you take the (4) or the (B)(D) up that's it.

The 125 still stop I'm assuming is to provide an immediate connection to Lex Ave since anything north probably won't come in our lifetimes.

Phase 2 by 2020? For that to happen, construction has go start now. Like, right now. Since the design phase can take a couple of years alone, that ain't happening.

The money factor is a HUGE factor. Phase 1 is already paid for. When they gather the money for phase 2, that's when the process will begin.

Personally, my prediction for phase one opening in spring of 2017.

Guess what? Those alternatives are ALSO slammed, so that's not an excuse either.

Then why don't they have the <4> Express anymore? And why does the (D) run Local in the Bronx with the exception of rush hours? It ain't that slammed if thats what is going down. And the (T) is not going to the Bronx. Atleast in our lifetime. Get over it.

Then why don't they have the <4> Express anymore? And why does the (D) run Local in the Bronx with the exception of rush hours? It ain't that slammed if thats what is going down. And the (T) is not going to the Bronx. Atleast in our lifetime. Get over it.

Do you realize that the <4> express skipped EVERY STOP except for Burnside? That wouldn't help at all, and the (D) runs local in the Bronx because there is no 4th express track. The (T) can go to the Bronx in our lifetime, the (MTA) just needs to advocate for the funds...

Do you realize that the <4> express skipped EVERY STOP except for Burnside? That wouldn't help at all, and the (D) runs local in the Bronx because there is no 4th express track. The (T) can go to the Bronx in our lifetime, the (MTA) just needs to advocate for the funds...

Well someone did not do their homework, or should I say knows absolutely NOTHING about the <4>. The track maps don't mean shit. If the <4> ran Express the way you say it, might as well have the (NX), better known modern-days as the <N>, come back. Credit to KTrainExp for this map.

100_1570.jpg

And the (D) can run Express in the Bronx, in the peak direction easily. Just like what they do to all of those (N) trains via the (D) line. But the (B) would be going to Bedford Park Blvd all times, that should be assumed primarily. There is absolutely no need for the (T) in the Bronx. You make it sound like the Bronx has ridership off the charts. I am sure the (MTA) would have already taken action if there was the kind of ridership you talk about.

Edited by Brighton Express

I'm going to have to agree with Threxx.... :ph34r:

While the (T) is not really in dire need in the BX, It will certainly help out here.... The <4> failed due to the fact that it skipped stops that were usually packed with people.... Had there been more stations like Burnside (Two island platforms) it would have certainly worked....

Buses around Beford do infact get packed.... Ex: The Bx1, Bx2, Bx10, Bx26, Bx28 and the Bx34... This is coming from a guy who frequents the area....

I do think the (T) should come up here... At least during rush... I know that will give an issue with the (B) though.... (D) express is pathetic up here....

I'd say we should focus on the first phase of the SAS for now... Worry about the BX when the time comes....

The Grand Concourse line has some evidence that it was originally planned to be a 4-tracked line. There might be provisions for it too, but the only clue that shows is the platform arrangement at the lower level of the 145 Street station.

The lower level was built like that cuz it lines up easier with the upper level which was built first.

What you're referring to is that 4th track north of 167 St

Im not gonna lie, the one thing I'm excited the most about the completion of Phase one is how the 63rd-Lexington Ave Station will be like. I've gotten used to since 91 of a two track two level station. Now they're will be an across the platform transfer.

And I just realized that may reduce crowding on the R from Queens. Some riders will get on the F when they can and transfer for Broadway express at 63rd.

Who says the sas can't help if it doesn't leave Manhattan? LOL!

Edited by Far Rock Depot

I'm going to have to agree with Threxx.... :ph34r:

While the (T) is not really in dire need in the BX, It will certainly help out here.... The <4> failed due to the fact that it skipped stops that were usually packed with people.... Had there been more stations like Burnside (Two island platforms) it would have certainly worked....

Buses around Beford do infact get packed.... Ex: The Bx1, Bx2, Bx10, Bx26, Bx28 and the Bx34... This is coming from a guy who frequents the area....

I do think the (T) should come up here... At least during rush... I know that will give an issue with the (B) though.... (D) express is pathetic up here....

I'd say we should focus on the first phase of the SAS for now... Worry about the BX when the time comes....

It's too bad the MTA isn't considering converting Bedford Park into an "express" stop. By extending the southbound platform over the southbound local track and rerouting the southbound local track to the outside of the southbound platform (sort of a "reverse image" of the layout at Willets Point (7)), they could have another station where trains on all three tracks can platform. And with Bedford Park being a major transfer point, it might justify the existence of a <4> service. Plus, the land west of the station is occupied by Concourse Yard, so it's MTA property. Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

Too bad the 161st stop was renovated. Imo, that should've been an express stop and would be a better way of handling the additional load of riders going to and leaving the stadium. As for the <4> (maybe have a 1 of every 3 or 4 trains be express to keep the local riders satisfied), I think they could've kept a few empty (or Manhattan only trains) to help split the load b/w the Bronx riders and those from 125th to 42nd st. I just hope 86th starts to become just bearable with phase 1 of the SAS opening.