Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well then can they at least make it official? I did not see a (W) in Brooklyn on the map when it existed.

Is this talk about Broadway even related to SAS?

Yes!

Because when the Q goes to Second Avenue (all trains, all times) the MTA must bring back the W to replace the Q in Queens. The N may or may not be express, we will wait and see, but the W is a definite pretty much. Thats the point.

Edited by realizm

They make the (Z) official. Why can't they do it for the (W)? It should run for 30 minutes beginning and 30 minutes end, which adds up to an hour. Why do they make the <A> official? They only run 5 trains each rush there.

I dont know write to the MTA Executive Committee, or walk right into one of the towers and ask the T/D, or get on an N or Q train knock on the door and ask the T/O or C/R. We are going by past service patterns on the N Q and W which were slashed because of budget cuts, not because the superintendants or the head dispatchers at RCC had a bad day and said hey lets cut service. In fact ask Governer Cuomo...

I give up...

Oh wait just PM one of the MTA workers on this board. Sheesh..

Here's my proposal.

(W) Whitehall Street to Astoria-Ditmars Boulevard except for rush hours when the (W) runs to Bay Parkway. No late night, or weekend service. When in service it will run as the Broadway local at all times.

How many times do I have to say that there aren't enough cars for a rush hour Brooklyn extension of the (W)? Read my previous posts and realizm's posts for the answer. Edited by RollOver

Here's my proposal.

(W) Whitehall Street to Astoria-Ditmars Boulevard except for rush hours when the (W) runs to Bay Parkway. No late night, or weekend service. When in service it will run as the Broadway local at all times.

Not enough for a full extention like RollOver said. Only partial service is avalible, which can be for the (W) trains that are going to and from the CI yard.

@CenSin: Your idea for the Broadway line is actually a good idea in my opinion. Line consistency and all that. I think the main thing that prevents such an idea from being implemented is that the "current" setup has been in place for several decades now. Between all of the service cuts, extensions and various reroutes based around the never-ending Manhattan Bridge work, there have been several constants on Broadway. From the N being the primary Astoria line as the local starting in '87 to the Q always terminating at Midtown-57 St as the express until the 2010 service reductions, service has been about the same for quite some time. While these aren't service reductions, not by any stretch, I'm sure some will feel they are simply because lines are being changed around.

@MTA Dude: The W not terminating near a yard is nothing new. It was like that when the service ran between 2004 and 2010. As mentioned previously, that's why the first and last few trains of the day began or ended service somewhere on the Sea Beach line. Besides, the G is another line that doesn't have direct access to a yard. At least not without some deadheading. As we all know, the line sits dead center between Jamaica and Coney Island yards and is based out of the latter. However, there haven't been any serious proposals to bring the line any closer to Coney Island.

@MTA Dude: The W not terminating near a yard is nothing new. It was like that when the service ran between 2004 and 2010. As mentioned previously, that's why the first and last few trains of the day began or ended service somewhere on the Sea Beach line. Besides, the G is another line that doesn't have direct access to a yard. At least not without some deadheading. As we all know, the line sits dead center between Jamaica and Coney Island yards and is based out of the latter. However, there haven't been any serious proposals to bring the line any closer to Coney Island.

Yes, but the (W) to Brooklyn isn't official, so people won't really know about it. And the (G) doesn't need to go through a long tunnel and through more express tunnels, then through another outdoor line to get home. But now that you mention it, it would be nice to have some (G) trains do that.

Stop trolling please.

Well I figured I could make a way to connect 6th Ave to SAS, and the (V) is a good contestant to enable a Culver Express. Sea Beach is also crowded, and I figured I didn't want the (W) to mirror the (N). Crowded Sea Beach then would have two connections, one to Broadway and one to 6th Ave.

EDIT: Forgot to include SAS has a connection to 6th Av, until Section 3 and 4 open up

Edited by Quill Depot

Yes, but the (W) to Brooklyn isn't official, so people won't really know about it. And the (G) doesn't need to go through a long tunnel and through more express tunnels, then through another outdoor line to get home. But now that you mention it, it would be nice to have some (G) trains do that.

Well look at the bright side...some trains get stored at the Canal Street/City Hall middle tracks at night until next morning...some trains also get stored at the Canal Street/City Hall middle tracks during the middle of the day until the evening rush...they will continue to do so even if/when the (W) comes back...

Flying switches at 72nd

I don't think the three-track plans ever had flying switches (and given the statement that they would probably take up about as much room as DeKalb does currently, there wouldn't be any room.)

The station and tunnels already exist; once they're built and lined, it's significantly harder to add anything new to the structure. If another level of tracks were to ever be added, it would have to be built below the current station and then punch through somehow.

I don't think the three-track plans ever had flying switches (and given the statement that they would probably take up about as much room as DeKalb does currently, there wouldn't be any room.)

The station and tunnels already exist; once they're built and lined, it's significantly harder to add anything new to the structure. If another level of tracks were to ever be added, it would have to be built below the current station and then punch through somehow.

Well they actually did have a proposal for flying junctions at 72nd Street as a three track station (MTA Plan For Action construction)  as well as spurs south of 72nd Street for the 63rd Street tunnel for IND Queens Blvd Access but going southeast, instead of directly east as with the current 63rd St connector layout which was built afterwards in a change of plans in the light of the proposal that is now being constructed since 2007. The imcomplete provision to Queens Bvld at 63rd/Lex actually exists, the way it was designed is so T trains can travel directly from phase 3 to Queens Bvld. Or probably for Jamaica Yard Access from 2nd Avenue/55trh Street.