MTA Board Member wants a special Prosecutor for Subway Crimes

An MTA board member thinks the city should have a separate prosecutor handling crimes that take place on the subway.

Responding to an increase in underground crime this year, some of which is being blamed on repeat offenders, board member Charles Moerdler said Gov. Andrew Cuomo should appoint a special prosecutor to oversee all cases against alleged subway criminals. He suggested the city try it for a year.

Currently, district attorneys handle subway crime cases in each borough.

Moerdler said the special prosecutor could “make it clear to those people who like to engage in that that crime does not necessarily have to pay.”

A spokesman for the governor did not comment on the suggestion Monday.

MTA head Joseph Lhota said he has spoken with all five district attorneys and planned to meet with Police Commissioner Ray Kelly on Wednesday to discuss “how to jointly work with the district attorneys on this issue.” He didn’t offer any specifics about their planned conversation.

Read the rest here: http://www.amny.com/...rimes-1.3677805

Hey Joe Lhota... Why don't you meet with the police commissioner to talk about tackling crime and farebeating in the system or better yet hire more transit police to tackle the issue??? dry.png That's the real problem here...

Since the NYPD merger in the '90s, the MTA does not hire transit cops. They only hire MTA Police; I'm not sure of their jurisdictions though.

I think they should do this also, just like the old days of the 70s and 80s when we had the "Subway Court" This will make it better for such crimes that happen on MTA Subway Property to be prosecuted by them. Also, MTA Police only provide security for MNRR, LIRR, but In My Humble Opinion, they should also have primary juristiction over the New York City Subway, also just like the old days.

Archived