Another NICE goofup: Can you spot the mistake?

Wow Fail. I guess it doesnt matter who runs Long island bus or Nice bus, they still dont get it right.

As long as the buses keep on rolling I couldn't give two shits about typo's (besides the humor in a worldwide company having so many). IMHO I think Veolia is doing a helluva better job than the (MTA) did and cheaper too. I'm biased everyone knows it but I mean they're trying, I honestly feel the (MTA) didn't care and left it's passengers stranded without warning and didn't give them a warning when they could have. A good example of that is the axed runs when they were getting the buses ready for DOT inspection. There's another way to show the (MTA) didn't care, look how many buses failed DOT inspection! Very little was said about that besides the inconvenience of the buses being out of service, if Veolia/NICE even had half that amount buses fail inspection in Nassau so many here would be fussing that Veolia is a dangerous company.

They accidently put a 517 instead of a 516 area code.

With so many goofs lately I do feel NICE needs to work on better quality control to catch these goofs before they go out.

As long as the buses keep on rolling I couldn't give two shits about typo's (besides the humor in a worldwide company having so many). IMHO I think Veolia is doing a helluva better job than the (MTA) did and cheaper too. I'm biased everyone knows it but I mean they're trying, I honestly feel the (MTA) didn't care and left it's passengers stranded without warning and didn't give them a warning when they could have. A good example of that is the axed runs when they were getting the buses ready for DOT inspection. There's another way to show the (MTA) didn't care, look how many buses failed DOT inspection! Very little was said about that besides the inconvenience of the buses being out of service, if Veolia/NICE even had half that amount buses fail inspection in Nassau so many here would be fussing that Veolia is a dangerous company.

With so many goofs lately I do feel NICE needs to work on better quality control to catch these goofs before they go out.

Right, look at the amount of buses that failed inspection. No one seems to have had an issue with that except for the fact that some runs were missing. Now that Veolia is running the system you have people coming out of th woodworks to condemn private operators because they need profits to survive.

What I really don't get is that, private companies are evil because they try to make a profit (usually by efficiencies, and they use profits to improve their services etc but) Government agencies just WASTE your money and it's ok. It's bad to profit, but ok to just waste your tax dollars, I don't get it.

I agree about their quality control. Many goofs on Maps, Schedules, etc.

Well things were OK until Mangano started his antics. Then the (MTA) got fed up. After all, they were being asked to subsidize the very operation they were contracted to operate. Also realize they didn't even have to give us the loaner buses to replace those that were missing for inspection, but they did. I'm not excusing everything the (MTA) did, but that situation was not their fault. If Mangano didn't grandstand and paid up, the missing buses and runs never would've happened. I'm less annoyed about the typos than the changes Veolia made in service. Like I've said before, they modified routes that didn't need to be. There's a saying "dont fix it if it aint broke". They messed with the N6 the busiest line by getting rid of the LTD and turning it into an express, and reducing the amount of locals. It amounts to a service cut on the system's busiest line. And we all know the result, the locals are so overcrowded they are flagging people as half empty expresses roll by. Then there's the whole n23/n27 mess, and the elimination of the n21 outside of rush hours. Savings could've been realized on the lighter routes. I'd have made the following routes run rush hours only:N36,N45*,N47,N50,N51,N62*,N73,N74*,N80

*means they did make those changes

Mr.Setzer admitted to me that the Veolia way is scaling back service on some busier routes to save losers. Its just a philosophy I dont agree with. I'd have rather seen the wholesale elimination of the worst routes, than scaling back service on busy ones.

Well things were OK until Mangano started his antics. Then the (MTA) got fed up. After all, they were being asked to subsidize the very operation they were contracted to operate.

So because they are contracted they may ask for whatever budget they want and operate without having to cut back like many other transit agencies in the country? They can ask for whatever they want and the County must come up with it?

Also realize they didn't even have to give us the loaner buses to replace those that were missing for inspection, but they did. I'm not excusing everything the (MTA) did, but that situation was not their fault. If Mangano didn't grandstand and paid up, the missing buses and runs never would've happened. I'm less annoyed about the typos than the changes Veolia made in service. Like I've said before, they modified routes that didn't need to be.

They were not under obligation to loan buses to replace buses that they failed to maintain properly enough in the first place to pass a DOT inspection? The minimum standard any COMPANY would be allowed to operate. If a private company had a fail rate of (MTA) LIB they would have been shut down!

The (MTA) may not have had to loan the buses to their other branch (I'm not sure if they would have violated their contract wit Nassau and faced any legal repercussions) BUT it would have been a PR nightmare for them with so many missed routes.

There's a saying "dont fix it if it aint broke". They messed with the N6 the busiest line by getting rid of the LTD and turning it into an express, and reducing the amount of locals. It amounts to a service cut on the system's busiest line. And we all know the result, the locals are so overcrowded they are flagging people as half empty expresses roll by. Then there's the whole n23/n27 mess, and the elimination of the n21 outside of rush hours. Savings could've been realized on the lighter routes. I'd have made the following routes run rush hours only:N36,N45*,N47,N50,N51,N62*,N73,N74*,N80

*means they did make those changes

Mr.Setzer admitted to me that the Veolia way is scaling back service on some busier routes to save losers. Its just a philosophy I dont agree with. I'd have rather seen the wholesale elimination of the worst routes, than scaling back service on busy ones.

I think if you had the experience in the industry Setzer, Chapin, and the management team has you'd be in a position to question their decisions!

PinePower, I'm confused! I thought you hated (MTA) LIB? But now you hate Veolia/NICE and are defending (MTA) LIB and putting the blame on the County???

Well, the County is to blame either ways, no matter what, Mangano and Schmitt are the d-bags of Nassau in these two years. They clearly don't recognize Public Transit, Veolia doesn't know how to fix routes properly and potentially have a "SPIN" to kill ridership.

PinePower, I'm confused! I thought you hated (MTA) LIB? But now you hate Veolia/NICE and are defending (MTA) LIB and putting the blame on the County???

I've always placed the blame for this squarely on Nassau County and Ed Mangano. I dont hate Veolia/NICE but I feel significant mistakes have been made with the changes NICE made. I was more optimistic at the beginning of the year, then when I saw their service changes I knew something wasn't right, with the n80/81 escaping any pain. Whether it is (MTA) LIB or Veolia/NICE, Nassau County needs to put more money into its bus system otherwise riders will suffer. Veolia has done more with less, something the (MTA) had trouble with, but like I've said, I dont agree with scaling back service on busy routes to save routes that carry less than 5 people per trip. Especially when Veolia said they'd focus most of their cuts on routes that carry few passengers, yet the n80/81 dont have any cuts, the n51 only loses Saturday service (when it should run rush hours only), and the n50 keeps all its service despite light ridership. The changes have been harder on riders on busy routes than riders on light routes. Just ask any n6,n20/21,n23, or n27 rider! The n31/32 also had its service cut, despite every bus I've taken on that line has been busy.

I've always placed the blame for this squarely on Nassau County and Ed Mangano

Whether it is (MTA) LIB or Veolia/NICE, Nassau County needs to put more money into its bus system otherwise riders will suffer

I in no way support Nassau or Mangano, but where's this money supposed to come from? Everyone wants a fully funded transit system but where's the money coming from? This is not just happening here, cuts are happening at transit systems all over the country!

I've always placed the blame for this squarely on Nassau County and Ed Mangano. I dont hate Veolia/NICE but I feel significant mistakes have been made with the changes NICE made. I was more optimistic at the beginning of the year, then when I saw their service changes I knew something wasn't right, with the n80/81 escaping any pain. Whether it is (MTA) LIB or Veolia/NICE, Nassau County needs to put more money into its bus system otherwise riders will suffer. Veolia has done more with less, something the (MTA) had trouble with, but like I've said, I dont agree with scaling back service on busy routes to save routes that carry less than 5 people per trip. Especially when Veolia said they'd focus most of their cuts on routes that carry few passengers, yet the n80/81 dont have any cuts, the n51 only loses Saturday service (when it should run rush hours only), and the n50 keeps all its service despite light ridership. The changes have been harder on riders on busy routes than riders on light routes. Just ask any n6,n20/21,n23, or n27 rider! The n31/32 also had its service cut, despite every bus I've taken on that line has been busy.

I don't think you get how public transportation works! It's to get the people who need it around, not to put more buses on busy routes so the buses are a little less crowded. What are the 5 people on that bus supposed to do? Walk? Maybe they should move to the City because they can't afford a car? For someone who doesn't support Mangano you are thinking just like him.

The taxpayers pay for this service okay, clearly Mangano and Schmitt is saying it's saving taxpayer money but what is he doing? Blowing up the taxpayer's money and funding it to corrupt bureaucracies within Nassau County! Clearly who is being harmed in the play, the People, the Residents, the Riders who actually use the system!

First of all the missing runs were because b/o's were taking time off, not because buses were failing. The MTA acknowledged that the buses failed minor issues due to the lack of maintenance personnel towards the end of their run. Veolia is showing they don't know how to schedule buses at all. I knew things were going to be bad when they announced the n22L, lord knows that meant they had no idea of ridership patterns. Now with the whole n6x fiasco again proves they know crap. They can't even stick to their "planning".

The MTA had it's problems for sure but they ran it better. As far as veolia running it cheaper, the service isn't anywhere near the level of service the MTA provided in 2010 and 2009 when things were straightening up. Not mention that their maintenance is far worse than what they are letting on. I'm seeing lots of dead buses all over the place, drivers I know saying that breakdowns on the n22 are common daily and not unheard of to have 3-4 breakdowns per line. Wow good job veolia!!!

While Nassau county and mangano are the main to blame, veolia shouldn't be out there spinning lies about how they are having great and efficient service when people are waiting 45 mins for buses to flag them. I know some riders in elmont who now are driven to the city line to take city buses to the subway because the n6 local flags them all the time and the n1 hasn't been true to their timetables.

I'm not complaining, just stating facts by experience and how horrid things are out there. Under MTA, I don't think I ever had a break down issue heading into Nassau, but man I'm 4 out 4 with just utter failures with Nice. Typos are small but the bigger problem is what I laugh at everyday.

I've been lucky to never have a bus break down on me... every time something happens the bus operator just restarts the engine and we're off. I understand Nassau's financial situation is, for lack of a better word, shit, but the prevailing suburban attitude towards buses (people literally drive down the wrong lane just to get around around a bus) and Mangano's unwillingness to fund the system any further really put a dent in it. The (MTA) might have trained its operators to drive slowly but that's only because they place the safety of everyone above all else... There are literally people here who ask, "What do I do if I don't have a car here?" NICE B/Os do get the lead out but what does it matter when every other bus is SRO?

I wouldn't call completely not running a route until midday combined with running its partner every 40 minutes without announcing it at all not a service cut. Every N32 I've been on since April 8th has been SRO. It doesn't save much money if buses start bunching up.

First of all the missing runs were because b/o's were taking time off, not because buses were failing. The MTA acknowledged that the buses failed minor issues due to the lack of maintenance personnel towards the end of their run. Veolia is showing they don't know how to schedule buses at all. I knew things were going to be bad when they announced the n22L, lord knows that meant they had no idea of ridership patterns. Now with the whole n6x fiasco again proves they know crap. They can't even stick to their "planning".

The MTA had it's problems for sure but they ran it better. As far as veolia running it cheaper, the service isn't anywhere near the level of service the MTA provided in 2010 and 2009 when things were straightening up. Not mention that their maintenance is far worse than what they are letting on. I'm seeing lots of dead buses all over the place, drivers I know saying that breakdowns on the n22 are common daily and not unheard of to have 3-4 breakdowns per line. Wow good job veolia!!!

While Nassau county and mangano are the main to blame, veolia shouldn't be out there spinning lies about how they are having great and efficient service when people are waiting 45 mins for buses to flag them. I know some riders in elmont who now are driven to the city line to take city buses to the subway because the n6 local flags them all the time and the n1 hasn't been true to their timetables.

I'm not complaining, just stating facts by experience and how horrid things are out there. Under MTA, I don't think I ever had a break down issue heading into Nassau, but man I'm 4 out 4 with just utter failures with Nice. Typos are small but the bigger problem is what I laugh at everyday.

I'm not so quick to believe the reason for buses failing their inspections because I and other LIB riders know that buses used to break down all of the time under LIB for years. I've been on buses that stalled, broke down, etc. I was even on a Jamaica bound N6 that broke down on Francis Lewis Blvd, and luckily a Q77 came a few mins later, because the next N6 was probably packed. I had an unlimited metrocard so I waved down the Q77 continue my trip to the subway, and everyone else woke up and realized that the bus took the same route to the Subway and started boarding also. So, it is my understanding this has not much to do with Veolia, it could be LIB's crappy maintenance, or it could be that Orion makes crap buses. But LIB has always had break down issues, every summer you'd see tow trucks and broken down and overheated buses along the side of the road. You can blame Veolia if you want to, but they inherited those same buses from LIB.

They say they studied ridership patterns, but apparently they were just counting people. Because not many people are going from Hempstead to the Subway. When I saw that the Express was replacing the Limited I was like "wait, that's not a good idea" Westminster road as the first stop?" lol. Anyway, since the N6 is their money maker they're working furiously to correct their boondoggle. At least thats the impression I got from their reply to my inquiry.

Elmont already had flagging issues with the N6 even outside of rush hour, so by reducing service to Elmont during rush hour it must be absolutely horrible. How packed are the N1's now to and from Queens? Eventhough it hasn't been true to the timetable I'm sure it's a savior of some sort.

I've been lucky to never have a bus break down on me... every time something happens the bus operator just restarts the engine and we're off. I understand Nassau's financial situation is, for lack of a better word, shit, but the prevailing suburban attitude towards buses (people literally drive down the wrong lane just to get around around a bus) and Mangano's unwillingness to fund the system any further really put a dent in it. The (MTA) might have trained its operators to drive slowly but that's only because they place the safety of everyone above all else... There are literally people here who ask, "What do I do if I don't have a car here?" NICE B/Os do get the lead out but what does it matter when every other bus is SRO?

I wouldn't call completely not running a route until midday combined with running its partner every 40 minutes without announcing it at all not a service cut. Every N32 I've been on since April 8th has been SRO. It doesn't save much money if buses start bunching up.

LIB drivers afaik used to drive just as fast, that's one reason why I preferred LIB over NYCT Bus. I like how people blame Mangano for LIB funding,as if this funding issue started with his administration. Nassau had the same issue under Suozzi, but Albany bailed them out a few times.

As for the N32 being SRO, that's exactly what they want. They're moving the same amount of people with less buses. That's less gas, less mileage, less drivers needed, less maintenance, etc. Even if they bunch they still save money, as it's still less buses.

If the buses between Lynbrook and Hempstead were on 20 min headways. 3 buses an hour per direction, now at 40 min headways, that's 3 buses in 2 hours. 50% cut (for that section), moving the same amount of people. They don't have the money to have an abundance of empty seats, its just not cost effective.

Anyway, they have to check the budget, report to Nassau County, etc on a quarterly basis, so if more adjustments are in the pipeline (even correctional in nature) , they're probably going to have another Community Meeting sometime towards the end of May for July service changes

Archived