Foxie's LIRR Photos 2012

Wow.... I wonder why that is... Yeah, my two home stations are pretty decent looking. Are the M7s the ones that sway back and forth a lot on the LIRR?

The M7's are the new single level cars...don't know if the MNR ones have this problem but they grunt, groan, and squeal A LOT, especially in tunnels.

lilbluefoxie: Had I not seen the first picture and try to connect the two I would've thought the second one was in Hicksville not Babylon...

From what I understand, Metro North, particularly in westchester, the disadvantage is that parking can be very difficult as many stations have small lots and permits are expensive. Im glad the Town of Oyster Bay one is cheap ($35 for two years, works in any station in the Town of Oyster Bay).

The M7's are the new single level cars...don't know if the MNR ones have this problem but they grunt, groan, and squeal A LOT, especially in tunnels.

Yeah, the ones on MetroNorth squeak a little too... It's probably more noticeable in the tunnels though like you said.

From what I understand, Metro North, particularly in westchester, the disadvantage is that parking can be very difficult as many stations have small lots and permits are expensive. Im glad the Town of Oyster Bay one is cheap ($35 for two years, works in any station in the Town of Oyster Bay).

Yeah we don't have much parking at the Spuyten Duyvil station so most folks use the Hudson Rail Link bus, walk or get dropped off if possible. It's not that big of a deal though IMO since the Spuyten Duyvil station serves a more dense population. We're not as suburban as Long Island in that part of Riverdale, so while some like to drive walking is an option too.

the M7s are very similar to the ones used on metro north, the difference is the paint on the front, the seating arrangement, and the third rail contact method.

As for the stations, many many of the LIRR stations are looking very shabby compared to Metro North. My home station is filled with rusted columns, peeling paint, and cracked concrete.

It even depends on what branch. For example, the Montauk branch has a lot of open platforms. Just mainly a platform or at most a railing. But on other branches also. Some branches have better looking stations, some don't.

Yeah we don't have much parking at the Spuyten Duyvil station so most folks use the Hudson Rail Link bus, walk or get dropped off if possible. It's not that big of a deal though IMO since the Spuyten Duyvil station serves a more dense population. We're not as suburban as Long Island in that part of Riverdale, so while some like to drive walking is an option too.

On Long Island, lack of parking is a deal-breaker. Just look at the awfully low ridership for Carle Place relative to other Nassau stations: it only has a handful of commuter parking spots.

As for the station conditions, most aren't so bad. Hicksville is getting a complete upper-level rehab in the coming years.

On Long Island, lack of parking is a deal-breaker. Just look at the awfully low ridership for Carle Place relative to other Nassau stations: it only has a handful of commuter parking spots.

As for the station conditions, most aren't so bad. Hicksville is getting a complete upper-level rehab in the coming years.

I can understand that because compared to Riverdale or even my old neighborhood in Staten Island, Long Island is much more suburban, even when compared to say North Riverdale where one would be in need of a car in some parts. All of Riverdale is considered to be suburban in feel and look, but some parts are a bit more walkable than others. Where we're pretty much alike is with the stores closing so early and the small town feel. I would say that North Riverdale and the parts of Riverdale closest to MetroNorth say along Palisades Avenue are the most suburban in look and feel and the need for a car. Those parts of Riverdale remind me very much of Connecticut. Me being in "Downtown" Riverdale, a car is optional since I can walk to most stuff, but the small town suburban feel is still here though. We call it Downtown, but our Downtown is quite small... Mainly parts of Johnson Av, W235th St and part Riverdale Av.

The times that I've been Long Island, I can't fathom how anyone could get around without a car.

It even depends on what branch. For example, the Montauk branch has a lot of open platforms. Just mainly a platform or at most a railing. But on other branches also. Some branches have better looking stations, some don't.

The Montauk branch stations are better looking and newer because they date back to 1998 when they all got high level platforms. Around that time many of the station houses got cleaned up as well. While not many photos exsist of the LIRR in the mid to late 90s, im sure those low level platforms were looking pretty run down as well before they were rebuilt.

Merrick and Bellmore are nice... They got rehabbed 5-6 years ago, they are good. Nice catch at Babylon, too

You say your home station is decrepit... I hope I'm not invading by asking what station...

• 3 weeks later...

I hate that goddamned fooking "quiet car" ad. I don't know what the hell an "AMP" train is but he keeps saying it. People don't listen anyway, never mind the people who get sauced on the platform or tell the conductor their monthly is DEEP in their bag and for them to get it themselves.

someone actually wanted the conductor to fish in their own bag for their monthly?

someone actually wanted the conductor to fish in their own bag for their monthly?

I was taking a train out of Penn in May and I was standing in the vestibule... this woman across from me had a cup of beer in one hand and her ticket deep inside her bag. When the C/R came by, he turned to the drunk woman and said "get it yourself." He turned away and I gave him mine. She found it after I showed my ticket and showed the C/R. She issued a drunk apology and the conductor walked off bewildered.

Great photos! Where was the one of 7249 taken?

Malverne Station

I was taking a train out of Penn in May and I was standing in the vestibule... this woman across from me had a cup of beer in one hand and her ticket deep inside her bag. When the C/R came by, he turned to the drunk woman and said "get it yourself." He turned away and I gave him mine. She found it after I showed my ticket and showed the C/R. She issued a drunk apology and the conductor walked off bewildered.

Wow, its like they say theres never a dull moment on the LIRR hehe

Archived