Northshore line in NJ question

Mtatransit

North Shore Line is in Staten Island, not New Jersey.

I wonder if its possible to use those tracks for the HBLR to St. George?

It's possible to use the tracks, but it's basically impossible to connect them.

Check this Google StreetView near where the Bayonne Bridge meets the SIR tracks: http://goo.gl/maps/Qqkt (Go south to see where Morningstar Road passes over the train tracks). The Bayonne Bridge looks taller in person (trust me, I know that area like the back of my hand)

The HBLR is elevated, whereas the train tracks are below grade, which means you'd have a really hard time getting the tracks to connect. You'd have to take a huge detour all around Port Richmond/Elm Park to do that.

The North Shore Line is going to become a bus rapid transit route so I highly doubt it would be connected to the West Shore Light Rail, but I am certain that there would be a transfer between the North Shore BRT and the West Shore LRT.

The proposed North Shore BRT.

StatenIslandBRTNew.jpg

West Shore LRT. Ignore North Shore.

staten-island1.jpg

Yeah I know. Been there before. If only they can push the HBLR deeper down, that could work. But not sure if people around there will be happy.

Well, it might work if you demolished half the neighborhood to have the tracks sort of angle down. Of course, a certain express bus rider would love that. <_<

The North Shore Line is going to become a bus rapid transit route so I highly doubt it would be connected to the West Shore Light Rail, but I am certain that there would be a transfer between the North Shore BRT and the West Shore LRT.

I hate to sound like this, but No sh*t Sherlock. Obviously they're not going to physically connect a light rail to a busway, especially considering the problems mentioned above.

Well, it might work if you demolished half the neighborhood to have the tracks sort of angle down. Of course, a certain express bus rider would love that. <_<

I hate to sound like this, but No sh*t Sherlock. Obviously they're not going to physically connect a light rail to a busway, especially considering the problems mentioned above.

1) They said to put the HBLR on the Bayonne Bridge, don't know if that's in the plans still.

2) It worked in Seattle, a Bus/Light Rail way underground, I think it'll work over there in Staten Island too!

1) They said to put the HBLR on the Bayonne Bridge, don't know if that's in the plans still.

2) It worked in Seattle, a Bus/Light Rail way underground, I think it'll work over there in Staten Island too!

I highly doubt it would happen since it would not carry one, but multiple bus routes.

I highly doubt it would happen since it would not carry one, but multiple bus routes.

Yes, but assuming it is just running on headways that could fit few LRV runs in the pattern, don't shed the doubt when the schedules aren't out yet and the bus vehicles aren't solid yet.

Who says the old North Shore line ROW will become a BRT route?

Have not seen a decision based on the latest MTA re-use survey.

Last I heard, was a tossup with LRT.

Who drew up the proposed wishful SI transit map?

Also, a BIG problem looms: to provide NY/NJ dock access for coming Asia mega-container ships when Panama Canal enlargements are ready by 2015, PANYNJ has decided to raise Bayonne Bridge's deck some 50 feet rather than do expensive span replacement or super-expensive tunnel.

Don't see how HBLR connection would then be possible.

Also, a BIG problem looms: to provide NY/NJ dock access for coming Asia mega-container ships when Panama Canal enlargements are ready by 2015, PANYNJ has decided to raise Bayonne Bridge's deck some 50 feet rather than do expensive span replacement or super-expensive tunnel.

1) The (MTA)http://secondavenues...lls-for-si-brt/

2) Light rail can cross steep slopes while subway cars can't and it can run across the Bayonne Bridge once it's raised if there are tracks laid on it as well. That is why I often pointed out that light rail can run on the Brooklyn Bridge and the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, because it can handle grades like those.

No, they officially (and foolishly) decided on BRT.

Yeah NOT happening with the current MTA Chairman in place. He mentioned using SBS instead, because its cheaper. But its not about being Cheap. There advantages and disadvantages with BRT.

Yeah NOT happening with the current MTA Chairman in place. He mentioned using SBS instead, because its cheaper. But its not about being Cheap. There advantages and disadvantages with BRT.

The West Shore Light Rail would be operated by the Hudson Bergen Light Rail which is technically NJ Transit.

Oh yeah you asked why the eliminated the heavy rail option months ago. They did it because it didn't serve Teleport, or did I already tell you that?

Don't give me that crap. I knew why they eliminated it, but I was questioning why they thought it was justification for eliminating that option. Hmmmm, let's see. You're lucky if you can get 10 people on the S46 (Assuming there weren't any cancelled/delayed buses or anything) once it gets south of the SIE, and yet they think there's enough ridership for a train line. :rolleyes: Yeah, it's really worth giving up hope of a direct connection to Manhattan for a half-vacant office park. No wonder their budget deficit is so huge. :angry:

I'm so sick of that god damned image (the olive green one).....

You're lucky if you can get 10 people on the S46 (Assuming there weren't any cancelled/delayed buses or anything) once it gets south of the SIE

Since that's your neck of the woods, I'll ask you....

Do they plan on (or have they fixed up) West Shore Plz, or is it slowly fading to black ?

Last time I was out there, it reminded me of (Brooklyn's) Gateway mall, right before they rejuvenated that mall w/ all the big box stores there now.....

Since that's your neck of the woods, I'll ask you....

Do they plan on (or have they fixed up) West Shore Plz, or is it slowly fading to black ?

Last time I was out there, it reminded me of (Brooklyn's) Gateway mall, right before they rejuvenated that mall w/ all the big box stores there now.....

I haven't been there in a couple of months, but I don't think they added anything. They have the DMV office, the Chuck E. Cheeses, the Burlington Coat Factory, a Chinese supermarket, a Modell's and maybe a couple of other little stores. But there isn't anything big over there (I guess like a Target or anything like that).

I've always hated the location it's in. I mean, it's in the middle of nowhere, and you have to cross train tracks to boot. And neither the stores nor the parking lot are full whenever I go there (except for that Chuck E. Cheeses), so I doubt it's doing too well. I mean, it's basically a glorified strip mall.

Damn thing is messing up when I try to edit.

Anyway, come to think about it, that's the reason I don't go out there too often: There's nothing special over there. We don't go clothes shopping too often, but we usually just go to JC Penny in the mall. The Chinese supermarket is overpriced as far as the regular items (like rice and milk) go, and we don't really eat a whole lot of Chinese food. My brothers and I used to go to Chuck E. Cheeses, but we outgrew that.

I guess while we're discussing the S46, I still think the West Shore Plaza buses in general get more ridership than the Teleport (even though obviously neither gets a whole lot of ridership). Not that I'm suggesting going back to the old pattern or anything.

Well, the (MTA) will taste the sour milk when they eventually find out it's more expensive to build LRT on a BRT ROW than just building the LRT straightforwardly.

Archived