Metro-North Engineer Caught Reading At The Helm

Shortline Bus

I have to say 9/11 screwed everything up, no matter how you deny it, before 9/11 people promote cab rides, police car rides, fire engine rides, e.t.c. and people will be like "oh how cute" "let him play a bit" and the complainer will be like "ok". Now even when a kid enters a cab, a passenger will b1tch and moan and complain. And the "If you see Something, Say Something" Campaign removed a bunch of our freedom.

I have to say 9/11 screwed everything up, no matter how you deny it, before 9/11 people promote cab rides......

..........Now even when a kid enters a cab, a passenger will b1tch and moan and complain. And the "If you see Something, Say Something" Campaign removed a bunch of our freedom.

9/11 and terrorism has little to do the no cab ride policy.

The reason for the lack of public cab rides is anyone in the cab is a potential distraction to the engineer. Operation service employees (engineers, conductors, RTC, etc) and management are the only ones that are supposed to be in the cab. Even then they don't get to sit back and relax. There are numerous things that they must do such as call out signals to the engineer. I can almost guarantee that most of the general public would even know the difference between an "Approach Speed Limit Sign" and a "Speed Limit Sign", let alone what the indication of the signs are.

Your uncle being a bus operator doesn't give you a right to put the agency that runs your "heavenly boxes" to and from work down.

And if you have another NICE comment, you can blow it out of your ass.

Was that supposed to be aimed at me?? Blah blah blah.... I'm so offended little man up front... Aka (MTA) brown nose... <_<

Anywho, on more important issues, now the train operators are covering up the windows so folks can't look inside and the (MTA) is backing them. James Vacca (D-Throggs Neck) and Chair of the Transportation Committee blasted the idea and plans on bringing it up in the next meeting that is conducted.

I just finished reading this whole thread and am wondering why everyone's mentioning the obvious. OK, we know about the systems in place to back the engineer signal-wise, but what about other things that the signaling system may not pick up, such as: someone on the tracks, or flooding, a damaged rail, or a wall collapse... It'd be a terrible thing if there was a major accident that was avoidable. The scary thing is that he could look up and see something that he wouldn't have any time to avoid.

.................OK, we know about the systems in place to back the engineer signal-wise, but what about other things that the signaling system may not pick up, such as: someone on the tracks, or flooding, a damaged rail, or a wall collapse... It'd be a terrible thing if there was a major accident that was avoidable. The scary thing is that he could look up and see something that he wouldn't have any time to avoid.

You're 100% correct. Aside from the fact the the signal system isn't as fool proof as everyone seems to think. Even if the train is operating at restricted cab and you approach a interlocking stop signal, the train will not stop on it's own. It will run the signal without the engineers intervention.

Archived