Metro-North Engineer Caught Reading At The Helm

Shortline Bus

Lol thousands, get real seriously. But no doubt he is at fault. There is no excuse to be that careless.

Well if the train derailed with a full train and derailed near a station where more folks were waiting or into another train or trains, it is possible for it be 1,000 people. I don't mean like 5,000 or anything like that, but still even a 1,000 people is a lot.

The ROW is mostly straight track from Wakefield to The Bridge that takes the line into Manhattan.

I doubt the train would have derailed, also yall ignoring the the fact that the Engineer was probably being cocky and has probably been running trains on that line for years.

He knew what was doing, also the signalling system would not have allowed the train to travel faster than its safe to.

Only place I'be worry about a derailment is in GCT, still ain't no 1000 people dieing. <_<

The ROW is mostly straight track from Wakefield to The Bridge that takes the line into Manhattan.

I doubt the train would have derailed, also yall ignoring the the fact that the Engineer was probably being cocky and has probably been running trains on that line for years.

He knew what was doing, also the signalling system would not have allowed the train to travel faster than its safe to.

Only place I'be worry about a derailment is in GCT, still ain't no 1000 people dieing. <_<

Based on what guarantee?? Anything is possible. <_< And all of this crappola about him being cocky... Well let him be cocky when he's the only one on the train.

Via let me ask you something, do you work for any transportation company? We all are agreeing that this was wrong but I think you're taking it way beyond now. With today's modern technology with these new tech train and the safety devices they have I pretty much doubt he would run into the back of another train. If there were a train remotely close in the area the cab signals would sound off. What pisses me off is the public they know the job of a engineer or bus operator etc when they really don't know the half. When things runs smoothly then any common sense person can figure out the route. Let's just say things change and a bunch of rules come into effect then it's not as easy as it seems. Via what If that same person that recorded the MN engineer reading saw me reading something, 9 out of 10 he would report me too. But let's just say I'm reading a TSRB or a form D and he's reporting me, in this case I've done nothing wrong. People are going to quick to report stuff that "they think" is something that can be harmful to other but have no idea.

Via let me ask you something, do you work for any transportation company? We all are agreeing that this was wrong but I think you're taking it way beyond now. With today's modern technology with these new tech train and the safety devices they have I pretty much doubt he would run into the back of another train. If there were a train remotely close in the area the cab signals would sound off. What pisses me off is the public they know the job of a engineer or bus operator etc when they really don't know the half. When things runs smoothly then any common sense person can figure out the route. Let's just say things change and a bunch of rules come into effect then it's not as easy as it seems. Via what If that same person that recorded the MN engineer reading saw me reading something, 9 out of 10 he would report me too. But let's just say I'm reading a TSRB or a form D and he's reporting me, in this case I've done nothing wrong. People are going to quick to report stuff that "they think" is something that can be harmful to other but have no idea.

I'm sorry but all of that about these backups doesn't mean much to me because if they were so proven, you wouldn't have folks up in arms when suggestions are made to have trains be machine operated now would we? As for your question about whether or not I work a transportation company... I have worked for the (MTA) for a short time and my uncle is a B/O with the (MTA). I don't pretend to know everything, but at the same time I have done my fair share of traveling around the world and have seen things that "weren't supposed to happen" when it comes to trains and such because of backups and all of that so I'm not so quick to put my trust in these things. I'm always skeptical of everything so that's how I operate.

I'm sorry but all of that about these backups doesn't mean much to me because if they were so proven, you wouldn't have folks up in arms when suggestions are made to have trains be machine operated now would we? As for your question about whether or not I work a transportation company... I have worked for the (MTA) for a short time and my uncle is a B/O with the (MTA). I don't pretend to know everything, but at the same time I have done my fair share of traveling around the world and have seen things that "weren't supposed to happen" when it comes to trains and such because of backups and all of that so I'm not so quick to put my trust in these things. I'm always skeptical of everything so that's how I operate.

Well Via I guess have to agree to disagree on this one. I do agree with reading the paper was wrong but to have the terminated is a bit much. Let you mess up on your job one day, do you want the people saying can him? By the way what did you do for the MTA?

Well Via I guess have to agree to disagree on this one. I do agree with reading the paper was wrong but to have the terminated is a bit much. Let you mess up on your job one day, do you want the people saying can him? By the way what did you do for the MTA?

There are screw ups and then there are screw ups and this is one of them...

As for what I did for the (MTA) I worked for them for two summers interning when I was high school... Got involved in a little bit of everything, but mainly data entry and whatever else I was asked to do when folks were on vacation.

I'll be the first one to say that the job isn't easy. My uncle used to give me the ins and outs about how the dispatchers are and so on when I ride with him on the local bus, but like I said, the rules are pretty clear and are well known and there are certain things that are just no-nos. If you already know that folks are going to be on you for the smallest thing, then you don't give them anything to begin with, especially not reading the paper. Now there have been B/Os on Staten Island that have been suspended for this very thing and they come back and turn into repeat offenders... This is why I support immediate termination. Back ups or not, it is a risk that should not be taken when you have the lives of others and yourself in your hands.

There are screw ups and then there are screw ups and this is one of them...

As for what I did for the (MTA) I worked for them for two summers interning when I was high school... Got involved in a little bit of everything, but mainly data entry and whatever else I was asked to do when folks were on vacation.

I'll be the first one to say that the job isn't easy. My uncle used to give me the ins and outs about how the dispatchers are and so on when I ride with him on the local bus, but like I said, the rules are pretty clear and are well known and there are certain things that are just no-nos. If you already know that folks are going to be on you for the smallest thing, then you don't give them anything to begin with, especially not reading the paper. Now there have been B/Os on Staten Island that have been suspended for this very thing and they come back and turn into repeat offenders... This is why I support immediate termination. Back ups or not, it is a risk that should not be taken when you have the lives of others and yourself in your hands.

ok cool, if your uncle did something crazy like that or whatever, would you support his immediate termination and be honest?

The ROW is mostly straight track from Wakefield to The Bridge that takes the line into Manhattan

Just because it's relatively straight doesn't mean anything. Two of the busiest interlockings are within that strech of track.

also the signalling system would not have allowed the train to travel faster than its safe to.

To a point yes. However it's not 100%

ok cool, if your uncle did something crazy like that or whatever, would you support his immediate termination and be honest?

I most certainly would... My uncle has been on the job for over 25 years now, so he's well aware of what he should and shouldn't be doing. Same thing with this guy... He's no rookie. I heard somewhere that this guy was also caught texting before. Whether or not that is true I don't know, but it's possible that this isn't his first offense.

The one thing that irks me is seeing a B/O on the bus on his cell phone or with his earpiece on and he thinks it is okay because the express bus isn't full or he's pulling out off of his break with a light bus. I don't say anything but it does get me irritated because some of them like to take advantage. Whether the bus is full or only has a few passengers is immaterial. The same rules should apply. Now a funny thing is on the Riverdale express buses some B/Os actually enforce a no cell phone policy and I adhere to it since they don't need folks yacking in their ear while they're driving. The only time I didn't was when the BxM18 driver blew by my stop and I had to schlepp over to the BxM2, wait a good 30 minutes for that bus and take the long way home. I was pissed so I was on the phone with the (MTA) reporting the guy since that was twice in two nights he did that and the BxM2 B/O had the nerve to announce that no cell phones were allowed. I remained on the phone just the same since thanks to his co-worker bypassing my stop my commute was almost 2 hours to Riverdale.

If I took photos & vids of everytime I saw a b/o or a t/o either reading a paper or texting, or MNRR/LIRR (especially) c/r's yakking it up amongst each other, I'd be the most hated person in this transit community.... probably moreso than mr. mccollum....

I'm of the ilk of, if the train is stopped & the operator is reading a paper during the brief period b/w stops or whatever, let em have at it..... A body at rest will remain at rest unless acted upon by an outside force....... That said, if the train is in motion (even at 1mph or kmph) & a paper is being read & caught while doing so, then action should be taken regarding that particular t/o's employment......

Yeah right. They like rats.

Maybe, maybe not. The problem is when an uneducated passenger makes acusations based on what he or she sees with out having the facts makes more work for those involved. I'm not talking about this particular case but in general.

For example, if you see an engineer in the cab but someone else at the controls what would your assumtion be? To some it would be the engineer is letting a passenger operate the train (there have been reports to the company of this happening). Now when the facts come to light, what was really happening was there was a student engineer operating the train under the direct supervision of the engineer and as a result no wrong doing.

Maybe, maybe not. The problem is when an uneducated passenger makes acusations based on what he or she sees with out having the facts makes more work for those involved. I'm not talking about this particular case but in general.

For example, if you see an engineer in the cab but someone else at the controls what would your assumtion be? To some it would be the engineer is letting a passenger operate the train (there have been reports to the company of this happening). Now when the facts come to light, what was really happening was there was a student engineer operating the train under the direct supervision of the engineer and as a result no wrong doing.

Well this is the world we live in post 9/11. You can't have it both ways. Folks are told to be more vigilant yet they're only supposed to be vigilant in certain circumstances??

Archived