Metro-North Engineer Caught Reading At The Helm

Shortline Bus

"A Metro-North engineer has been removed from his post after being caught on camera reading a newspaper while driving a rush-hour train.

A video posted on YouTube by a passenger shows the engineer engrossed in his paper while driving the train between the Wakefield station in the Bronx to Grand Central Terminal around 8:30 a.m. Wednesday.

Metro-North is investigating the incident.

In a statement, the railroad said it has reminded train crews that reading, texting or using cell phones while operating a train is unacceptable.

Metro-North says its trains are designed to stop even if an engineer ignores a signal."

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/162632/metro-north-engineer-caught-reading-at-the-helm

lol... I see B/Os doing it on the express bus on Staten Island. They'll read the paper while stopped at a light. Why not just read the bloody paper on your break?? I don't think I've seen any of the Riverdale drivers do it though because it seems as if Yonkers Depot is very strict. This is not funny though. These guys really need to not do that. Not good for anyone.

Very true. I have not seen personally Motorman/Engineer's using text on the rail or subway on the job. However on occasion, while 'on duty' i seen bus drivers not only read the paper, but i also seen a few, talk w/o the hands free, on their cell phones. It over all the place whether it's in NYC, Ducthess County or even in San Diego. Ditto for NYC subway conductors as well. Granted it usually only for a quick call or during a stop at a light, but still it could 'wait' until their breaks.

Yeah, I've seen B/Os talking on the hands free device too. I don't know if they don't think folks aren't going to say anything or what but seriously. They've got no one to blame but themselves. I mean once this B/O sees these folks that he knows walking down the street and he stops the X14 and lets all of them on which shouldn't have happened. They're all sprawled out on the chairs blocking the damn aisle and everything. Then when I get off I have to excuse my way past them and I looked at him like are you serious with this and he looks like there is nothing wrong. I can't remember if I wrote in or not, but I did not care for that crap one bit. Holding me up to let some folks on the bus that don't belong on there to begin with. They have break time for that nonsense. Do it on your break, NOT when passengers are on board. Period. No excuses for it. And when cabbies start yacking on their cell phones I'll allow it for a short time, but I expect them to get OFF of the phone when they're driving with me in the car, otherwise no tip and I will file a complaint too. If you want to jeopardize your life fine, but leave me out of it. The lack of professionalism by some folks is just amazing and they expect to be excused for it too. Uh... NO.

Oh, man...

I mean, what would happen if he skipped a stop? That would be bad, and he could be unaware of oncoming traffic or signals. Must have been a new guy...

Dumb question. Will the "Engineer" be suspened or flat out "fired?" I have not heard what his job status is (other than the the term "removed") after this incident on the papers and local tv news channels?

If this guy had a 'clean record' a lengthy suspension is warranted here. If he had violations before IMO then he should be fired.

He's probably a vet because you hear as soon as the "This Station Is..." announcement comes on he looks up to slow down the train. The most iv'e ever seen up here is a B/O on the 100 pull over and talk with hands for a few minutes. (The 100 is usually early so we stop somewhere near Holland for two to eight minutes, and we didn't have a break, so I don't know if he was on time or late, because I have seen other times where the 100 didn't go on break. (Even tough it's very rare.)) And regarding what VG8 said, I know the B/O of the Wal-Mart shuttle reads the newspaper on his breaks. (Could be the fact that there are no lights on his route, but nevertheless)

He should be fired. There is no excuse for this and these guys get plenty of breaks. The same individuals that are caught once often times do it again. This attention shouldn't be anywhere but on driving the train. End of the story. These guys have it good. If he has such a hard job, I'm sure there are plenty of other folks that would be willing to take this "difficult, stressful" job. <_<

these types of videos is why some T/Os and engineers tend to hate on railfans who are just innocently photographing the trains.

Yeah but it doesn't make it right. It could have been an FRA inspector standing there looking into the cab.

Chances are your average commuter are not rail fans. Regardless, in this day and age where 9 out of 10 people have a video camera attached to their hip, if you're going to do something wrong, you're gonna get caught. Not only is there the issue with getting into trouble with the company that pays him, there are FRA violations that there could be civil penaltiies imposed.

these types of videos is why some T/Os and engineers tend to hate on railfans who are just innocently photographing the trains.

Im going to have to agree with you on this one. As an engineer personally I dont hate railfans, hell Im one. Because of this engineers are going to be quick to report anyone who is filming trains or a railroad person. I understand what he did was wrong but to have the guy terminated I think is a bit much. We all have done things we shouldnt have done but should we get the death penality for it? Personally I wouldnt want to be filmed even if Im doing the right thing.

Im going to have to agree with you on this one. As an engineer personally I dont hate railfans, hell Im one. Because of this engineers are going to be quick to report anyone who is filming trains or a railroad person. I understand what he did was wrong but to have the guy terminated I think is a bit much. We all have done things we shouldnt have done but should we get the death penality for it? Personally I wouldnt want to be filmed even if Im doing the right thing.

A bit much?? He could've killed THOUSANDS of people not to mention himself.....

While I agree with you. But so what? Whats there to hide? I see on most front and back cab cars the door window is covered by a paper or even a bag. Very limited amount of times, I would want to peek at the cab window just to look at the tunnel, and then the Operator ends up blocking the view. Which of course makes me feel he/she is hiding something. I could careless, but as long as Im not endangered, im good.

While I'm not sure if they are suppose to do put paper over a door window and block the view, it looks like most could be hiding things, and if they are not hiding anything, then whats the problem, blocking the view of a window or even filming the train or even bus they operate?

See MOST workers have flaws as well, and thats not good because it dangerous the passengers (IF it does). People think the MTA is looking down at the Railfans, but yet WE too look down at the MTA for what ever they do themselves and us.

I understand what youre saying and im not going to argue with you about that, youre 100% right. All Im saying "now" this is going to make harder for railfans to film anything.

Thousands? Give me a break. Get real, bro.

Anyway, my question is this: What sort of nosy prick was doing the filming? What the operator was doing may have been questionable, but the first person to be reprimanded should have been the filmer, and only then the operator. He's not taking a picture of the sunset at Spuyten Duyvil station; he's filming an area that is technically off-limits to regular passengers.

When I use to run the keystones with the cab head out, I use to get a lot of people coming up to head end to get a sneak peak at what's going on. I don't care about that as long as you let me do my job. I don't take kindly to filming anything I do or the operations of the train due to the fact that I dont know who you are or what your plan is to do with the video. I hate when people judge and decide the fate of others like we all haven't done things we shouldn't have done.

Very true. I have not seen personally Motorman/Engineer's using text on the rail or subway on the job. However on occasion, while 'on duty' i seen bus drivers not only read the paper, but i also seen a few, talk w/o the hands free, on their cell phones. It over all the place whether it's in NYC, Ducthess County or even in San Diego. Ditto for NYC subway conductors as well. Granted it usually only for a quick call or during a stop at a light, but still it could 'wait' until their breaks.

There is zero tolerance for locomotive engineers to be texting while at the controls. In fact, if member of a train crew (locomotive engineer or conductor) so much as even has their cell phone on they risk being taken out of service. The carrier can (and has) fired employees over these types of things and the FRA can (and has) imposed personal fines upwards of $17,000.

Oh, man...

I mean, what would happen if he skipped a stop? That would be bad, and he could be unaware of oncoming traffic or signals. Must have been a new guy...

Although not 100%, the cab signals should alert of upcoming traffic. An engineer would know all of the locations of signals as he need to be qualified on the physical characteristics of the territory. Regardless, none of this makes it right what this guy did.

Dumb question. Will the "Engineer" be suspened or flat out "fired?" I have not heard what his job status is (other than the the term "removed") after this incident on the papers and local tv news channels?

If this guy had a 'clean record' a lengthy suspension is warranted here. If he had violations before IMO then he should be fired.

If he is lucky he will only get a lengthy suspension. Being this is along the same lines as cell phones, reading the paper while operating the train is a distraction. The company, if they so chose, can make an example out of him. The FRA, if they so choose, can suspend his locomotive engineer certification. Aside from all that I can almost guarentee that the event recorder was downloaded to see what else was done wrong.

Typical response of someone who only knows the paperwork end of railroading. Explain how he would be responsible for the deaths of "thousands of people."

Well let's see... I think it's common sense here.... What is so "technical" about the situation? He is operating a train and reading the newspaper, which could lead to him getting into a serious, deadly accident. In a situation like that if lives were lost because of carelessness, rest assured that action would be demanded and the legal laws would be examined in every way possible to stick it to this guy. Train operator, bus operator... Folks don't care about all of the differences... Do you see how they are going after that B/O that fell asleep and the bus flipped over killing those people on the highway??

Now I'm not going to sit here and pretend like I'm Mr. Goodie Two Shoes or anything, because we all make mistakes, but the point here is he knows what his job entails and the risk that he is taking doing what he was doing, so he has no one to blame but himself. Yes, people are rats and people are nosy. That's how people are. Nothing you can do about it, but that's why you have to be especially careful. Now my policy is if I'm not affected I don't say anything, because quite frankly I don't like ratting on people. I was in an accident with a B/O a few weeks ago and I was willing to back the guy up 100% even though I still don't quite understand how he didn't see the steel plate hanging from the bridge, but it was clearly a freak accident.

However, if a train operator or bus operator are screwing me over (i.e. blowing by my stop repeatedly on purpose), you'd better believe I'm going to report him because as far as I'm concerned I'm being disrespected and that I won't tolerate.

Archived