North Carolina Man Shoots 4-Year-Old Boy He Thought Was Gay

mark1447

Well, I like to joke around that I'm a nerd, but it's only in the sense that my grades are high. I'm not one of the people who puts an obvious look of shock on their face when I get back a paper that has an 80 instead of a 95. I will argue if it's something like me handing in an assignment and not getting credit for it, but I don't go after every last point.

As far as slackoffs, I am friends with a few people who slack off, but they're not like an extreme slackoff (I mean, if your average is an 85, you've at least got to be putting in some effort, even if it's just doing a few of the assignments). None of them seem to get into any real trouble, though. As Via Garibaldi would say, they do sometimes like to put those "pantyhose things" (referring to do-rags) on their head, and sometimes they get loud in the library or in the classroom, but that's about it. I mean, anybody who's really loud and obnoxious I don't hang out with.

I wouldn't really say I'm even known as a "nerd". It's something my friends and I joke about, but most people just know me as a "really smart kid". I mean, I even tell my friends how I almost never study (and I never "study" in the sense where I'm actually sitting down and getting immersed in the subject matter. It's more of just a quick review, and sometimes it's because I'm not paying attention in class so I get the material from the textbook. A lot of people seem to be genuinely interested in "the secret to my success" so-to-speak, since I manage to get high grades while still being a laid-back type of guy.

1st paragraph - handing in a paper & not getting credit for it is a hell of a lot different than getting an unexpected grade on a test..... you better believe a slackoff would go hard in the paint for not gettin credit for the work that he did actually manage to do !! Let alone the nerd arguing for that (reason).....

2nd paragraph - To me, what you're describing is the average schoolkid.... A slackoff to me was a kid that only attended classes when he felt like it, and only showed any real real interest when it came down to test time or report card day..... He never really cared about the subject matter in any class itself.... especially if it's something that he couldn't relate to.....

....and I know exactly what you mean by never studying (the way you describe it).... I was that same way.

3rd paragraph - I was never known as a nerd, and I was never teased about being one (not even jokingly).... Matter fact, I would get kids (jokingly or seriously) that always suspected/accused me of cheating on tests - almost like I was one of them..... iono, Guess I'll say the only thing that kept me from being a slackoff was the fact I went to a private school for my elementary & JHS years, and of course, being the product of good parenting & having a positive support system around me...... I knew better than to not immerse (stealing your word for a minute) & engage in bad behavior enough to jeopardize my scholastic (and onward) future......

To be honest, I really dislike the kids that cry when they get an 89. I mean if I had an 89 back in the day, I'd be happy as hell. But then again I know that goes both ways as I'm sure most Asian families demand high grades. Hell like I said in the previous post, I was happy enough just passing, but with my parents, that wasn't cutting it. Thankfully my parents are Americanized (born in the US) and they are less strict about my grades. Though I'm sure they'd at least wanted to see 80's or something.

Just a slight insight, I was pretty much a delinquent went attending high school. Thus my above statements.

@checkmate... I don't feel like quoting your whole post

my high school is no where near diverse... 97% of it is either Black or Latino.

In fact students joke around about the 1-2 white students wanting to know who they are.

The few Asians we have do quite well. 2010's Valedictorian in my school was an immigrant from China, I had AP Stats with him and this year's Salutatorian is an Asian girl who could have been Valedictorian if she had all her Regents. She immigrated from Vietnam and I happened to have AP Calculus with her. That's impressive considering there are only about 4-5 Asian students in the school.

Well, at least Black & Latino is somewhat diverse. At least it's better than being all-Black or all-Latino. I looked up the stats for my school (You know me by now. ;)), and I think they said my school is something like 27% White, 30% Black, 36% Hispanic, and 7% Asian, so that's about as diverse as you could really get. But yeah, like in your school, the Asians do pretty well. I mean, in the Honors & AP classes, there are definitely a lot of Asians (Maybe like 20% or something).

2nd paragraph - To me, what you're describing is the average schoolkid.... A slackoff to me was a kid that only attended classes when he felt like it, and only showed any real real interest when it came down to test time or report card day..... He never really cared about the subject matter in any class itself.... especially if it's something that he couldn't relate to.....

....and I know exactly what you mean by never studying (the way you describe it).... I was that same way.

3rd paragraph - I was never known as a nerd, and I was never teased about being one (not even jokingly).... Matter fact, I would get kids (jokingly or seriously) that always suspected/accused me of cheating on tests - almost like I was one of them..... iono, Guess I'll say the only thing that kept me from being a slackoff was the fact I went to a private school for my elementary & JHS years, and of course, being the product of good parenting & having a positive support system around me...... I knew better than to not immerse (stealing your word for a minute) & engage in bad behavior enough to jeopardize my scholastic (and onward) future......

"You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day". Remind me to give you those rep points later. ;)

In any case, if that's the average schoolkid, then I could only think of one kid who I fit that description who I was really close with. He was a pretty smart kid, but just lazy. Looking back, I should've taken a page from his book and cut that class more, though not to the level that he did (It was an Italian class, and I'm a native Spanish speaker, so I was just naturally good at it. I think he was too.). The teacher was nice and didn't really care if you cut, so I probably could've gotten away with it a few more times than I did, but then again, the nice teachers are the ones where you don't mind sitting through their class. The teacher lived in the neighborhood, and I've actually bumped into her a few times at the local library and supermarket and everything, so it would've been awkward if that happened on a day I decided to cut. LOL.

And yeah, I wasn't a perfect student, because I did get into a little bit of trouble back in middle school (in fact, I'd say it was a little more than the average student), like a couple of fights, but nothing too serious. But even still, I was well-known for my grades and everything, so people didn't think of me as a "bad boy" or anything.

lol @ the o/t ness..... I'm bored & there's no harm in this, so I'll continue....

The way you were in H.S. is kind of the way I wanted to be... I was quiet and shy but then I became mean and made fun of ppl and then ppl got to know the real me... but if I had gone the way you did, it may have been better for me . And I was a slacker in freshman year but in sophomore year, I was shown as one of the smartest (I sometimes feel uncomfortable, being one of the smart ones, its hard to explain) and I noticed that cramming actually made me get lower grades than if I had just taken the test w/out studying at all...

I hated when people called me shy, just because I was quiet..... "Why don't you talk"... "Why you so quiet" - Like damn, STFU !

I'm not shy if I don't want to talk.... A shy person wants to talk, but feels unnerved in doing so (for whatever the reason)....

It wasn't that I was shy, I just didn't give a *you know what*.... Was never personable, but I can relate to people..... As the saying goes "real recognize real"..... If you could read body language, you could/can easily pick that up from me..... I'm still like that to this day.

I never understood the idea behind studying. Generally, you either know the subject or don't. No amount of studying is going to help you get 90+ on a test in which the subject matter is one you have trouble grasping. My belief has always been that you can study your way to a B but not an A. I never studied for a test in my high school life and that goes for AP exams as well and graduated top of my class. :) I haven't even studied in college so far but that could change as I take more demanding classes. I also respect the fact that you weren't the stereotypical nerd. I tried not to be one but I naturally got along with the honor students at my school and that didn't help the fact that my average was highest in the school for 2 years running. No matter how cool I was, the "nerd" label got applied to me.

IMO, the only reason why I didn't get dubbed a nerd was b/c I didn't hang around them....going to HS in the mid-late 90's, nerds got consistently picked on.... The older heads here that attended HS before I did would tell you it was even worse (the gravity of the incidents, depending where they went, of course)....

The part of your reply in bold is how I looked at it, which is why I'd shrug it off if I failed a particular test or w/e... If I got a 50 on a test, I tried to get a 150 in the next test (lol)... that's just how I was..... Of course I don't like to fail, but I can accept it, and build on from it...... But to add to that basic point in bold, it only strengthened my knowledge in a subject if I was interested in it....

Too many people majoring in college courses they have no real interest in.... picking a major b/c they don't know what to do with themselves..... Notice the behaviors of those college kids, lot of em exude that "nothing to lose" mentality.......

I think that the "real" nerds are the people who just love learning ideas and information, not the ones who only care about proving that they're better than someone else.

I can agree to that.

Too bad the combination of the two things you describe here defines a nerd in the real world.....

My school is kind of diverse. A lot of African Americans, a lot of Carribeans/West Indians, a lot of Hispanics, a lot of Whites/Eurpoeans, but not many Asians (mostly Filipino; although there are a few Chinese too; this girl just came from China and shes really smart and speaks good english and shes in my health class).. Btw this is a question for all of you: How is public school? I've never been to public school. Catholic school my whole life :o

lol @ the o/t ness..... I'm bored & there's no harm in this, so I'll continue....

I hated when people called me shy, just because I was quiet..... "Why don't you talk"... "Why you so quiet" - Like damn, STFU !

I'm not shy if I don't want to talk.... A shy person wants to talk, but feels unnerved in doing so (for whatever the reason)....

It wasn't that I was shy, I just didn't give a *you know what*.... Was never personable, but I can relate to people..... As the saying goes "real recognize real"..... If you could read body language, you could/can easily pick that up from me..... I'm still like that to this day..

There are ppl that are like you in my school.. They are always quiet and ppl think that they are shy. For me, I was just both. Although there are many reasons why ppl are quiet or shy (doesn't care much, like yourself, shy, nervous, worried, like me, and other reasons) that you don't see when you first meet them.. Some of the quietest ppl are actually really nice and/or real, based on my experience....

I'm Asian, I wish I was smart like that. Hell back in high school I was happy I even passed the class. But once college started, I matured up and actually did well.

To be honest, I really dislike the kids that cry when they get an 89. I mean if I had an 89 back in the day, I'd be happy as hell. But then again I know that goes both ways as I'm sure most Asian families demand high grades. Hell like I said in the previous post, I was happy enough just passing, but with my parents, that wasn't cutting it. Thankfully my parents are Americanized (born in the US) and they are less strict about my grades. Though I'm sure they'd at least wanted to see 80's or something.

Just a slight insight, I was pretty much a delinquent went attending high school. Thus my above statements.

This is the realness I'm talkin about..... +5 dap (thanks) if I could.

"You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day". Remind me to give you those rep points later. ;)

In any case, if that's the average schoolkid, then I could only think of one kid who I fit that description who I was really close with. He was a pretty smart kid, but just lazy. Looking back, I should've taken a page from his book and cut that class more, though not to the level that he did (It was an Italian class, and I'm a native Spanish speaker, so I was just naturally good at it. I think he was too.). The teacher was nice and didn't really care if you cut, so I probably could've gotten away with it a few more times than I did, but then again, the nice teachers are the ones where you don't mind sitting through their class. The teacher lived in the neighborhood, and I've actually bumped into her a few times at the local library and supermarket and everything, so it would've been awkward if that happened on a day I decided to cut. LOL.

And yeah, I wasn't a perfect student, because I did get into a little bit of trouble back in middle school (in fact, I'd say it was a little more than the average student), like a couple of fights, but nothing too serious. But even still, I was well-known for my grades and everything, so people didn't think of me as a "bad boy" or anything.

You don't know how much isht I did I wasn't supposed to do that I got away with, due to my reputation (from teachers/staff).....

lol @ this perfect attendance award I got.... it's sittin up in a closet collecting dust somewhere..... I don't know how many classes I cut b/c I felt like going home early for "personal reasons", including.....

*beatitupsmilie.gif*

--------------------------------

.......and shooting a 4 year old boy because this fool thought he was gay is WRONG.

(hey, I tried)

You're not the only one.. I hate ppl like that.. crying over a grade in the 80s that they got w/relatively low effort while somebody who struggles gets the same grade or lower but worked really hard for it and is happy about it.. I care about grades as much as the next person, but I'm not obnoxious about it..

My school is kind of diverse. A lot of African Americans, a lot of Carribeans/West Indians, a lot of Hispanics, a lot of Whites/Eurpoeans, but not many Asians (mostly Filipino; although there are a few Chinese too; this girl just came from China and shes really smart and speaks good english and shes in my health class).. Btw this is a question for all of you: How is public school? I've never been to public school. Catholic school my whole life :o

My school is a public school, Harry S Truman in Co-op City. Speaking of public I now attend Baruch College which is a public university (CUNY) so I seem to be living the public education life. As for high school, public school isn't all that bad if you are focused on the matter at hand instead of socializing with the wrong crowd. Truman is below average statistically yet has several AP classes, National Honor Society and engineering classes which I was able to take part in. I was happy that I was able to enjoy a high school with good things to offer without having to go to preppy and expensive Fordham Prep which I was accepted into. $15,000 a year is too much for high school in my opinion.

My school is a public school, Harry S Truman in Co-op City. Speaking of public I now attend Baruch College which is a public university (CUNY) so I seem to be living the public education life. As for high school, public school isn't all that bad if you are focused on the matter at hand instead of socializing with the wrong crowd. Truman is below average statistically yet has several AP classes, National Honor Society and engineering classes which I was able to take part in. I was happy that I was able to enjoy a high school with good things to offer without having to go to preppy and expensive Fordham Prep which I was accepted into. $15,000 a year is too much for high school in my opinion.

Thank you for your answer, and so its basically like a regular school, probably not much different than my catholic school i guess. I was going to apply for Fordham Prep too, but that tuition is a lot. I go to St. John's Prep and the tuition is 8,000$, which is like half of Fordham Prep.. I got into Bronx Science and got a 612 on my SHSAT 2 years ago but I didn't accept it as I felt that I wouldn't be able to handle the workload and be able to enjoy myself at the same time.

Speaking of public I now attend Baruch College which is a public university (CUNY) so I seem to be living the public education life.

Good luck with that, fam.

A couple weeks ago, I took off work to attend my sister's graduation from Baruch.....

(the ceremony was at the Javits Center)

Thank you for your answer, and so its basically like a regular school, probably not much different than my catholic school i guess. I was going to apply for Fordham Prep too, but that tuition is a lot. I go to St. John's Prep and the tuition is 8,000$, which is like half of Fordham Prep.. I got into Bronx Science and got a 612 on my SHSAT 2 years ago but I didn't accept it as I felt that I wouldn't be able to handle the workload and be able to enjoy myself at the same time.

Generally speaking Catholic school students speaking from the ones I know get larger workloads than the ones from public schools. I wonder why that would be if it happens to be that way?

And also, congrats to your sister B35!

It all depends on the specific school and what programs they offer. For instance, my school has a bad reputation (but then again, Staten Island overall has good schools, so it's all relative), but I'm in an Honors program, so the only time I mix with the "problem kids" is during gym and lunch, and I spend my lunch period in the library, so it's only one period a day. But even in gym class, it doesn't seem like the regular classes would be too bad (I mean, the real "problem kids" don't show up most of the time, so the problem sort of solves itself). FWIW, I've only seen a handful of fights in 3 years at my school, so it can't be too bad. I think in the regular classes, it would be a matter of trying to stay with the "right crowd", and in the Honors classes, you really have to be doing something wrong if you end up "going down the wrong path".

You don't know how much isht I did I wasn't supposed to do that I got away with, due to my reputation (from teachers/staff).....

lol @ this perfect attendance award I got.... it's sittin up in a closet collecting dust somewhere..... I don't know how many classes I cut b/c I felt like going home early for "personal reasons", including.....

*beatitupsmilie.gif*

--------------------------------

At my school, they take the "official" attendance first period (it used to be second period), so on snow days, some people attend the first 1 or 2 classes, and then go home, and they get marked present. There's also a system that sends an automatic phone call home around 6PM, so they avoid that as well. (My parents know I do well in school, so they don't mind when I come home early. In fact, they're glad to see me.)

I have some friends who went to SI Tech, and they say the workload really isn't that bad. I described the classes I take, and they say that basically, they're taking the same thing, except I think that they have a couple of engineering & computer classes in place of basic science and an elective like art or music. They're also taking Russian instead of Spanish, Italian, or French (I wonder what they do for the Regents then. :wacko: ). I mean, it's a little more challenging, but not loads ahead.

I'd be worried about the commute more than the workload (having to take the Q85 and then the full Q44 to the Bx22. :o )

Generally speaking Catholic school students speaking from the ones I know get larger workloads than the ones from public schools. I wonder why that would be if it happens to be that way?

Idk why it seems like that, I think it depends on which catholic school they go to... I don't get much homework at all.. In my school there are different levels for each class. Level 1 class- for kids who struggle in that particular subject ; slower pace. Level 2- average . Level 3- above average but doesnt want the work load of honors and Level 4-Honors-big workload for each class; so it also depends on the class as well...

It all depends on the specific school and what programs they offer. For instance, my school has a bad reputation (but then again, Staten Island overall has good schools, so it's all relative), but I'm in an Honors program, so the only time I mix with the "problem kids" is during gym and lunch, and I spend my lunch period in the library, so it's only one period a day. But even in gym class, it doesn't seem like the regular classes would be too bad (I mean, the real "problem kids" don't show up most of the time, so the problem sort of solves itself). FWIW, I've only seen a handful of fights in 3 years at my school, so it can't be too bad. I think in the regular classes, it would be a matter of trying to stay with the "right crowd", and in the Honors classes, you really have to be doing something wrong if you end up "going down the wrong path".

At my school, they take the "official" attendance first period (it used to be second period), so on snow days, some people attend the first 1 or 2 classes, and then go home, and they get marked present. There's also a system that sends an automatic phone call home around 6PM, so they avoid that as well. (My parents know I do well in school, so they don't mind when I come home early. In fact, they're glad to see me.)

I have some friends who went to SI Tech, and they say the workload really isn't that bad. I described the classes I take, and they say that basically, they're taking the same thing, except I think that they have a couple of engineering & computer classes in place of basic science and an elective like art or music. They're also taking Russian instead of Spanish, Italian, or French (I wonder what they do for the Regents then. :wacko: ). I mean, it's a little more challenging, but not loads ahead.

I'd be worried about the commute more than the workload (having to take the Q85 and then the full Q44 to the Bx22. :o )

What school do you go to? And it sounds like a basic H.S. as well, but it would be different for me as I have never been to public school... And at the time, I was considering going to Bronx Sci a lot, but I lived in the LES (at the time) so the commute would just be the M14D to the (4), but now I'm glad I didn't as that commute would easily be 2 or 3 hours :o but on the bright side, I would've gotten a 4 ride student metrocard (commutes 2 hrs or longer I believe) which would mean more transit fanning after school! :D

What school do you go to? And it sounds like a basic H.S. as well, but it would be different for me as I have never been to public school... And at the time, I was considering going to Bronx Sci a lot, but I lived in the LES (at the time) so the commute would just be the M14D to the (4), but now I'm glad I didn't as that commute would easily be 2 or 3 hours :o but on the bright side, I would've gotten a 4 ride student metrocard (commutes 2 hrs or longer I believe) which would mean more transit fanning after school! :D

Port Richmond HS. I would imagine it would be similar to the schools in your area. And as for the different levels, it sounds like you'd probably be in Honors so you wouldn't really have any problems.

And with a long commute like that, I don't know how much energy you'd have for transit fanning. (I know I didn't have much when I did the thing at Cooper Union. I remember once we went up to a college fair up at Columbia, and I was thinking about taking the M5 down to South FErry, but I said "Screw it" and took the (1)) Hell, you have an extra ride right now. Do you ever transit fan after school?

Port Richmond HS. I would imagine it would be similar to the schools in your area. And as for the different levels, it sounds like you'd probably be in Honors so you wouldn't really have any problems.

And with a long commute like that, I don't know how much energy you'd have for transit fanning. (I know I didn't have much when I did the thing at Cooper Union. I remember once we went up to a college fair up at Columbia, and I was thinking about taking the M5 down to South FErry, but I said "Screw it" and took the (1)) Hell, you have an extra ride right now. Do you ever transit fan after school?

I'm in a mix of Honors and Level 3 classes. Level 3 History and English and Honoes Chemistry (next year) and Algebra 2/Trig. I play basketball after school with my friends but we all do take a long way home (we all live by each other)

This is what we call the Marathon Route:

Q69 from our school to Court Square

(M) from Court Square to Forest Hills

(E) from Forest Hills to Jamaica

Then the Q85

We call it the Marathon Route cuz it takes way longer than our usual route.. Lol :)

Archived