My bus fanning trip thru SI, Manhattan and Bronx 6/24/12..SRO on X17

Shortline Bus

Hey guys. Want to tell about my bus/subway fanning trip for Saturday June 23, 2012. My oringal plan was to go to the Coney Island Mermaid Parade. However i had to do laundry and other errands earlier in day, so instead i went on a Bus/subway ride to SI Mall. Since most of this topic involves NYC buses, this is placed here. Sorry for the BXM7a pic but I could not find a X17 pic. I guees I am following in the steps of B35 via Church and others "personal transit diaries" LOL.

mtabus6.jpg

Part I trip to SI Mall from Marble Hill.

My trip began on Metro North. Got off the Marble Hill station at Broadway and 225th Street around 4pm. Then took the (1) train to 96th (The trip i was on sitting in 1st car had plenty of seats)and transfer to the (2) express to Park Place. A few standees but not SRO. Got off at Park Place to wait for the X17 537pm after taking a break. That break was using bathroom/getting a iced coffee at the Park Row Starbucks.

Then on the 2nd transfer to the express bus, I waited for over 40 minutes as line by the Park Place/Broadway stop had 10 riders waiting.

Finally at around 615pm a X17 bus came but with couple of people standing. I asked the driver if any other X17 were behind her and she "I dont know." Then i waited and then 2 more X-17's came. Talk about a moody driver. Bus I was on, only had 10 people on it.

Then riding to SI Mall, only traffic delay was the Battery *woops i mean *Gov. Carey Tunnel* (renamed after the 1970's era state chief who bailed NYC/NYS from fiscal crisis)which only had 1-tube open for the weekend.

Little slow on the BQE/Gowanus but after Industry City it was freely smooth sailing over the VZX and to Richmond Ave.

We arrived at SI Mall (behind JC Penny)at around 705pm. Where was the disptacher on the X-17 to maybe have at least one of the SI-Bound X17 'rerouted" and bypass Lower Manhattan via the FDR Drive, instead of running all '3' dowtown creating bunching? Then eat my dinner at SI Mall and had terraki chicken platter lol.

Part II SI Mall to Manhattan

I left SI Mall at 807pm (actually 812pm) on the Ferry Bound S61. Bus trip took a while and arrived at the Ferry at 855pm. Bus got really busy and even few standees when it got to Victory Blvd. Not to mention another S61 and S62 all running together from Clove Rd/Victory to the Ferry.

Got on Manhattan bound SI Ferry and left at 907pm. Granted it middle of a summer weekend but IMO the ferry should expand 30 minute boat service on weekends until at least 10pm but that for another chat. Tons of tourists but they were a few seats in back of the boat. (SI Bound) The crowds was on the Manhattan bound side. Got to Whitehall terminal at about 930pm.

Took (R) train to Hearld Sq. Went to Bathroom at Penn Station and also ice cream at Wendy a frostee lol.

Part 3/Conclusion from Midtown to Home in Dutchess County

Then got on a uptown "M5" at 35th/6th Avenue and was a few standess (most of the riders were Riverside Drive residents who went to see Broadway shows)and by 96th St/Riverside, there was only about 20 riders on the bus. Got little crowded again as "M5" turned onto Broadway and went north from 135th-168th Street.

Arrived at 178th/GW Bride at 1135pm. Just missed a Riverdale "BX7" and waited until 1155pm before one arrived. Then '3' buses which were two "BX7" and one "M100." The (MTA) decided to close early (it was suppose to start at 1201am sunday morning)the (1) train and all the buses mentioned was packed between GW Bridge terminal and 225th Street where i got off. I barely made the 12:27am 'express' train to Poughkeepsie. It seems that the BX7 could benefit with overnight service (at least hourly) as those babys were packed.

Finally the Metro North trip had a lot of Mets/Yankees fans from "Subway series" game at Citifield going home. Most of the riders got off at either Tarrytown, Croton-Harmon, Beacon and Poughkeepsie. We arrived close to time at around 158am.

Thus a summary of my trip. Hope you guys enjoyed and thanks for reading. Reactions?

I was over at the SI Mall yesterday too, got the new iPad. I took the X17C to Manhattan, traffic wasnt that great at all (not just the usual expressway traffic, it was even slow on the bridge) and the tunnel was just awful. But 2152 sounded alright, gave a nice ride for the most part, and I had an alright B/O, so no big complaints from me.

Finally at around 615pm a X17 bus came but with couple of people standing. I asked the driver if any other X17 were behind her and she "I dont know." Then i waited and then 2 more X-17's came. Talk about a moody driver. Bus I was on, only had 10 people on it.

Then riding to SI Mall, only traffic delay was the Battery *woops i mean *Gov. Carey Tunnel* (renamed after the 1970's era state chief who bailed NYC/NYS from fiscal crisis)which only had 1-tube open for the weekend.

Little slow on the BQE/Gowanus but after Industry City it was freely smooth sailing over the VZX and to Richmond Ave.

We arrived at SI Mall (behind JC Penny)at around 705pm. Where was the disptacher on the X-17 to maybe have at least one of the SI-Bound X17 'rerouted" and bypass Lower Manhattan via the FDR Drive, instead of running all '3' dowtown creating bunching? Then eat my dinner at SI Mall and had terraki chicken platter lol.

I assume you only waited a couple of minutes for that pair of X17s, right?

And I don't know if there was anything they could really do about that first X17. If the second bus was also delayed, then they're pretty much forced to have the first one continue via Lower Manhattan. But if the second bus was delayed, they should've just held the third bus for a few more minutes, had all the Midtown passengers get on the second bus, and then send it via the FDR Drive. Since most of the Midtown passengers would be on the second bus, the third bus would be able to get Downtown on time.

Got on Manhattan bound SI Ferry and left at 907pm. Granted it middle of a summer weekend but IMO the ferry should expand 30 minute boat service on weekends until at least 10pm but that for another chat. Tons of tourists but they were a few seats in back of the boat. (SI Bound) The crowds was on the Manhattan bound side. Got to Whitehall terminal at about 930pm.

Yeah, they had a plan to "bustitute" overnight service. It would save money and also have more frequent service (a bus every 20-30 minutes instead of a ferry every 60 minutes). Then they could use that money to run more frequent service on weekend nights.

Arrived at 178th/GW Bride at 1135pm. Just missed a Riverdale "BX7" and waited until 1155pm before one arrived. Then '3' buses which were two "BX7" and one "M100." The (MTA) decided to close early (it was suppose to start at 1201am sunday morning)the (1) train and all the buses mentioned was packed between GW Bridge terminal and 225th Street where i got off. I barely made the 12:27am 'express' train to Poughkeepsie. It seems that the BX7 could benefit with overnight service (at least hourly) as those babys were packed.

If the buses were crowded because of the lack of (1) service, that doesn't necessarily mean they should have overnight service.

Bx7's are notorious for bunching....

So you caught one of the earlier x17's back towards SI..... Anyway, I don't miss taking x17's on saturdays at all.... gives me bad memories (goin to visit (who's now) the ex'.... as well as the spoiled teenagers/young adults yakking it up on the bus w/ all the shopping bags they got along w/ them).... I would take the Q to union sq. & then walk down a block or so to catch it..... it was the bus that would get to Huguenot little after 9pm...... Don't know if they still run every 20 mins on saturdays or not.....

(I) Haven't been going on too many weekend fantrips much anymore (due to laziness), and the high likeliness of it during these temperatures are not likely.... I am off until wednesday.... if the weather aint too bad (hot), I may do some intra newark/irvington fanning... ride a few of those dinky little short routes.....

So you caught one of the earlier x17's back towards SI..... Anyway, I don't miss taking x17's on saturdays at all.... gives me bad memories (goin to visit (who's now) the ex'.... as well as the spoiled teenagers/young adults yakking it up on the bus w/ all the shopping bags they got along w/ them).... I would take the Q to union sq. & then walk down a block or so to catch it..... it was the bus that would get to Huguenot little after 9pm...... Don't know if they still run every 20 mins on saturdays or not.....

Actually, the 20 minute service on Saturdays is fairly recent. They used to run every 30 minutes rush hour, 60 minutes off-peak. Now they run every 20 minutes rush hour, 30 minutes off-peak (though there are still a couple of time periods where they run every hour). It's weird how they added all that service, and yet they still haven't expanded the hours.

And come to think about it, my brother and I were "yakking it up" on the X17 yesterday. ;) We were actually talking about this site and also about some of the service changes with the S89 and all that (and I was explaining to my brother how their numbers don't make sense and all that). Imagine of there was another one of our members on board!

We were also talking about one of the members on here. I won't name names, but I'll give you a hint: He's one of our more "affluent" members. LOL.

And come to think about it, my brother and I were "yakking it up" on the X17 yesterday. ;) We were actually talking about this site and also about some of the service changes with the S89 and all that (and I was explaining to my brother how their numbers don't make sense and all that). Imagine of there was another one of our members on board!

Not that you'd know what he looks like, but just match up the times.... You probably were on that same bus w/ shortline....

There were 2 separate instances I happened to be on a bus (both in suffolk county) w/ pinepower.....

Anyway, sometimes I peruse the forum when I'm on the (express) bus or the subway... never on a local bus... If someone were to sit next to me & says something like "so you're B35 church....", I'd probably smirk & say yeah.... the thought (of that happening) does cross my mind sometimes.....

Not that you'd know what he looks like, but just match up the times.... You probably were on that same bus w/ shortline....

There were 2 separate instances I happened to be on a bus (both in suffolk county) w/ pinepower.....

Nah, I took the X10 going back that day, and it was a later bus anyway. (I was there around midnight, and he was there in the PM rush)

yeh, that might be the most detailed fantrip I've ever seen him post.... I'm talking years of knowing of the guy through the forums.

even thought it was his pic too, until the copyright caught the corner of my eye.....

@ CC13.... okay, cool

I've been noticing that both the Bx7 and Bx10 have been pretty crowded at certainly times of the day during the weekends. I don't know if more service should be added per se or if it's more of a spacing problem. Last night for example I saw two Bx10s coming down Kappock as I was on the BxM2 heading home. The first one passed by somewhat crowded doing the full route to Norwood and then maybe a minute later another Bx10 came going to 231st street with a few people on it. This was around 22:00 or so.

I was eating at a restaurant and I saw where Bx7s turn. It doesn't need more service. It bunches horribly.

The thing is they even bunch coming from Riverdale and there isn't tons of traffic on Riverdale Avenue either, so I don't get it. Perhaps the dispatchers at Kingsbridge aren't doing their job?? <_< I'll see a crowded Bx7 on Riverdale Avenue followed by a near empty Bx7 moments later...

I

If the buses were crowded because of the lack of (1) service, that doesn't necessarily mean they should have overnight service.

I only suggested possible overnight 24/7 for following reasons.

1)Lack of ADA accesible stations on (1) and (A). Currently I think only 207 St(A) and 168 (A)(1) have ada access.

2)24/7 access for residents between Riverdale Ave and the Inwood (A) station.

3)No overnight bus service in Inwood/Upper part of Washington and Hudson Heights between 181 and Dyckman.

Just my thought.

I only suggested possible overnight 24/7 for following reasons.

1)Lack of ADA accesible stations on (1) and (A). Currently I think only 207 St(A) and 168 (A)(1) have ada access.

2)24/7 access for residents between Riverdale Ave and the Inwood (A) station.

3)No overnight bus service in Inwood/Upper part of Washington and Hudson Heights between 181 and Dyckman.

Just my thought.

I honestly don't think it is necessary because Riverdale is DEAD at night. I mean I get the last BxM2 back to Riverdale on Sundays and when we get off the streets are quiet with the occasional person walking their dog or whatever and I live in the heart of the busiest part of Riverdale near 235th street. Folks do come from the city late, as the last BxM2 (00:15) that I get on Sunday nights carries sometimes about 15 people (so much for your idea of getting rid of the BxM2 on Sundays, as it is used and only hourly service is provided, plus ridership is increasing on the line). Then you also have MetroNorth until 02:00, so while folks do come back late from the city, usage within Riverdale of the local buses isn't really the in thing. The last Bx10s that I see have a handful of folks going to the subway as those buses only go to 231st street and Broadway. Aside from that quite frankly it helps keep out any potential riff raff since the service that runs later are more expensive (express buses and MetroNorth). I also see a lot of folks using yellow taxis from the city and I always chuckle because they see me by Johnson Avenue and pull up to ask me for directions. Of course I tell them to take Johnson Avenue all the way down the hill to Irwin and just hope that they get the idea that Johnson runs into Irwin Avenue, since the streets up in the hills become quite crazy to figure out.

I honestly don't think it is necessary because Riverdale is DEAD at night. I mean I get the last BxM2 back to Riverdale on Sundays and when we get off the streets are quiet with the occasional person walking their dog or whatever and I live in the heart of the busiest part of Riverdale near 235th street. Folks do come from the city late, as the last BxM2 (00:15) that I get on Sunday nights carries sometimes about 15 people (so much for your idea of getting rid of the BxM2 on Sundays, as it is used and only hourly service is provided, plus ridership is increasing on the line). Then you also have MetroNorth until 02:00, so while folks do come back late from the city, usage within Riverdale of the local buses isn't really the in thing. The last Bx10s that I see have a handful of folks going to the subway as those buses only go to 231st street and Broadway. Aside from that quite frankly it helps keep out any potential riff raff since the service that runs later are more expensive (express buses and MetroNorth). I also see a lot of folks using yellow taxis from the city and I always chuckle because they see me by Johnson Avenue and pull up to ask me for directions. Of course I tell them to take Johnson Avenue all the way down the hill to Irwin and just hope that they get the idea that Johnson runs into Irwin Avenue, since the streets up in the hills become quite crazy to figure out.

The Bx10 runs 24/7 to Norwood. Not to mention the Bx9 also runs 24/7.

In any case, the idea wasn't for Riverdale riders anyway. It was for people in Washington Heights/Inwood, who don't have overnight bus service in their area (But of course, they have subway service, so that's why I don't think it's really necessary.)

If it's really necessary for them to have service, they could always modify the M101 overnights to go further north.

The Bx10 runs 24/7 to Norwood. Not to mention the Bx9 also runs 24/7.

In any case, the idea wasn't for Riverdale riders anyway. It was for people in Washington Heights/Inwood, who don't have overnight bus service in their area (But of course, they have subway service, so that's why I don't think it's really necessary.)

If it's really necessary for them to have service, they could always modify the M101 overnights to go further north.

Or the M100 and extend it to 231/Broadway. The M101 is already a long route and does not need to be extended.

IAside from that quite frankly it helps keep out any potential riff raff since the service that runs later are more expensive (express buses and MetroNorth). I also see a lot of folks using yellow taxis from the city and I always chuckle because they see me by Johnson Avenue and pull up to ask me for directions. Of course I tell them to take Johnson Avenue all the way down the hill to Irwin and just hope that they get the idea that Johnson runs into Irwin Avenue, since the streets up in the hills become quite crazy to figure out.

The world according to VG8. Sounding selffish again. If we talking riff raff lets see. The BX34 before the June 2010 cuts ran between Riff Raff central Fordham Rd and Woodlawn i.e Kantonh Ave overnights. Wonders if cares. And for that matter in SI the S61 runs riff raff between St. George's and Travis.

If it involves other neighborhoods VG8 does not care. If involves his own neighborhood he cares. Again sounds like an elistist. Not trying to create an argument but those comments are why VG8 is so controversial on the boards.

The world according to VG8. Sounding selffish again. If we talking riff raff lets see. The BX34 before the June 2010 cuts ran between Riff Raff central Fordham Rd and Woodlawn i.e Kantonh Ave overnights. Wonders if cares. And for that matter in SI the S61 runs riff raff between St. George's and Travis.

If it involves other neighborhoods VG8 does not care. If involves his own neighborhood he cares. Again sounds like an elistist. Not trying to create an argument but those comments are why VG8 is so controversial on the boards.

Oh please. The Bx7 isn't needed in Riverdale because like I said the neighborhood is DEAD at night. We don't have nightlife here, hence why our express buses and MetroNorth are so well used because we go to the city for that and then come back to the tranquility of Riverdale. To show you how dead things get, the Subway a few blocks over from me closes at 21:00 on Saturdays. <_< There is nothing elitist about the fact that neighborhood is dead at night, nor the fact that we want the neighborhood to stay that way with no riff raff. The service would be wasted. If anything, if they need service in Washington Heights and such then fine, run the service, but just don't run it to Riverdale. Like checkmate said, we already have the Bx10 and I would only have that serve Riverdale at night to 231st street, if that.

If anything I would extend MetroNorth and express bus service back to Riverdale before running the Bx7.

Oh please. The Bx7 isn't needed in Riverdale because like I said the neighborhood is DEAD at night. We don't have nightlife here, hence why our express buses and MetroNorth is so well used because we go to the city for that and then come back to the tranquility of Riverdale. There is nothing elitist about the fact that neighborhood is dead at night. The service would be wasted. If anything, they need service in Washington Heights and such then fine, run the service, but just don't run it to Riverdale. Like checkmate said, we already have the Bx10 and I would only have that serve Riverdale at night at 231st street, if that.

Calm down VG8. I admit i only been to Riverdale Ave area late at night driving and was only a suggestion. With that said, there couple of huge apt. bulidings and condos in SPUYTEN DUYVIL so that area needs 24/7 service. With that said, a compromise could be running the BX10 and then extend the M100 to 231/Riverdale Ave.

Or the M100 and extend it to 231/Broadway. The M101 is already a long route and does not need to be extended.

First of all, this is overnights. How much traffic could there realistically be? Aside from that, it's not like you're extending it across the city. You're extending it like a mile further north.

Second of all, overnight M100 service would cost more money.

It's the S62 that runs between St. George & Travis, not the S61.

But that reminds me of somebody mentioning people in Heartland Village complaining about the S61 being created back in the early 1990s. They thought all the people from St. George would use the bus to terrorize their neighborhood. I guess they didn't realize that the R4, (which later became the S59) brought people from Port Richmond into the neighborhood and I highly doubt there were issues.

Obviously, that was 20-30 years ago, so thankfully attitudes have changed.

Calm down VG8. I admit i only been to Riverdale Ave area late at night driving and was only a suggestion. With that said, there couple of huge apt. bulidings and condos in SPUYTEN DUYVIL so that area needs 24/7 service. With that said, a compromise could be running the BX10 and then extend the M100 to 231/Riverdale Ave.

I'm totally calm... The thing is that those large apartment buildings (co-ops mainly and some condos) that you're commenting about are served by the Bx10 (Henry Hudson Parkway). The Bx7 doesn't serve that area that you're referring to since that is not Spuyten Duvyil, but rather Riverdale, even though Spuyten Duyvil is a subsection of Riverdale. The Bx7 running along Riverdale Avenue past 239th street... It's mainly the commercial strip and then after 236th and Riverdale Avenue (which would be my stop if I used the Bx7), you go downhill where you can simply walk to the Bx10 maybe 5 - 10 minute tops if you really need it, or walk 5 - 10 minutes over to Henry Hudson Parkway, so the Bx10 does serve those folks, hence why I said the Bx7 would be a waste. I would simply extend the M100 to 231st and Broadway for Washington Heights or Kingsbridge if they really need it. Here's a perfect example... The Bx7 is about the same distance walking for me as the Bx10 would be... Maybe 4 - 5 minutes to Riverdale Avenue and 236th versus walking to say 236th & Henry Hudson Parkway and taking the Bx10.

The Bx10 was originally supposed to be eliminated overnights back in 2009. But then in 2010, they revised the cuts and they said that overnight service on any route would be saved if it had more than 45 riders between 1AM and 5AM. The Bx10 had 51 riders, so it was saved and that was that. But maybe Shortline forgot that the Bx10 was saved (when he said "that area needs 24/7 service"), and that's why he suggested the Bx7 run overnights. But since that isn't the case, it's not necessary.

The Bx10 was originally supposed to be eliminated overnights back in 2009. But then in 2010, they revised the cuts and they said that overnight service on any route would be saved if it had more than 45 riders between 1AM and 5AM. The Bx10 had 51 riders, so it was saved and that was that. But maybe Shortline forgot that the Bx10 was saved (when he said "that area needs 24/7 service"), and that's why he suggested the Bx7 run overnights. But since that isn't the case, it's not necessary.

Hit nail on head checkmate. I know the BX10 overnight service was on the "LIST" on the doomsday cuts in both 2009 and '10. Forget it was saved. Still i stand by comments that either the BX7 or M100 runs between 231st/Bway and 168(or 125th in M100's case)to serve Inwood/Hudson and Washington Heights that has no late night bus service.

Well yeah and like I said, we already have very good transportation here (three express buses and MetroNorth) and quite frankly for all of the complaining about the local buses, those may get better in terms of proper spacing once Bus Time comes to the Bronx and we get it here in Riverdale as well.

As for your S61 comment... Those comments haven't changed. The folks down there hate the fact that the SIR is free for most of the route and I'm sure they would rather not have the S61 running from St. George either. The comments on SI Live speak for themselves. :lol:

Hit nail on head checkmate. I know the BX10 overnight service was on the "LIST" on the doomsday cuts in both 2009 and '10. Forget it was saved. Still i stand by comments that either the BX7 or M100 runs between 231st/Bway and 168(or 125th in M100's case)to serve Inwood/Hudson and Washington Heights that has no late night bus service.

Like I said, I don't see the problem with extending the M101 overnight. Like I said, there's very little traffic at that hour (and keep in mind that it used to go all the way down to City Hall)

As for your S61 comment... Those comments haven't changed. The folks down there hate the fact that the SIR is free for most of the route and I'm sure they would rather not have the S61 running from St. George either. The comments on SI Live speak for themselves. :lol:

The S61 doesn't go near the SIR. In any case, like it or not, that bus is here to stay, especially considering the fact that ridership is decent on that route (and if they have kids, they're going to end up using the S61 to go to high school and possibly middle school). I mean, FWIW, it looks like a decent portion of the people riding it in Heartland Village actually live in the area.

And I should hope those comments on SILive don't reflect the view of SIers overall. If half of what they said was true, I'd need a bulletproof vest every time I went anywhere up on the North Shore. :rolleyes::lol: I remember a few articles talking about the census data (how the percentage of minorities is increasing and all that), and I couldn't believe how many racist comments there were. :o Geez, if my neighbors were like that, my family would probably have a burning cross on our lawn by now.

Archived