What does a transit car inspector do?

gemini6kl

I applied for and received an interview for a nyc car inspector position . Right now i am electrician for another railroad and I am considering making the switch as it will pay a little more money salary wise , but i really dont know What a car inspector does. SO far 2 things bother me, i heard u do everything as far as repairs and tht the job is conditional until u pass a test. can any one tell me what are the duties and what a typical day is like in the life of a car inspector. Thanks alot

A car inspector works in the barn at the yard and fixes the trains. You may also do complete overhauls on the trains depending on which yard you work at. The exam announcement should give a good overview of the job's duties.

You can be a Car Inspector/Road car inspector. As a Car Inspector you work in the train Yards. You will fix train troubles in the barn and in the Yard and may sure all trains are in good repair before leaving the yard for customer service. As a Road Car Inspector you will work at a stationary location along the main line. You respond to any train in your area that has reported defects or been involied in a incident. If a train had a brakes in emergency you will conduct an investigation as to why or verify the reason given. Most likely a Train Service Supervisor will conduct the same investigation as well. Both will RCI and TSS report their finding to the rail control center.

Also you can work truck and respond to stalled trains when service is blocked like a person under the train RCI's respond to that as well.

Also note that RCI's are the highest paid TWU position here!

True, but on paper only. RCIs don't really get good overtime so most make less than people in other titles with lower hourly pay.

Only in transit does getting a promotion equal LOWER pay.

• 3 weeks later...

Just found this out myself. Your score on the test will determine what position is offered. The highest scores are offered road car inspector, below the threshhold number, car inspector. I dont know number.

RCI is the 'road mechanic' working somewhere on the mainline. You 'pre-trip check ' trails. You respond & determine if running equipment is safe to keep in service, sent in after service, or out of service/shop imediately. You do small repairs, and HVAC thermometer evals of cars when at terminals. No real heavy duty stuff, but you are required to crawl under & around trains. I also believe it is a saftey sensitive title with drug screening procedures.

Car inspector is in the shops & yards, and do similar duties, but on stored/out of service equipment. Dunno much bout these guys, I call for one in the yard when a put-in has some issue.

They respond, always looking 'well rested' .. :D (Just kidding CI's)

As for 'conditional', you must mean provisional appointment. A family member filed for a MME test, and then got a letter from TA looking for a resume, pre test. MTA hires people for titles they need from these submitted resumes. Jobs are offered, and you work as a regular employee, full bennies, but no 'official' union representation.. BUT the union guys will advise/help you out in a bind, & try to get you changed to permanent employee if they can..There are provisonals whove been at TA for 15-20 years.. Really try to ace the test when given though, not usually hard if you know your stuff. When ATU settled recently, he got the raise AND retro back to his hire date.

• 1 month later...

I have been a CI for 10 months. i work in a barn 6-2 S/S off I'm backfill I spend most of my time on the inspection line. Inspection is broken into 3 dutys... undercar...... propulsion...... and.... carbody.

I work on new tech cars

undercar is inspect gearboxes, changeing brake shoes, testing trip cocks, gaugeing wheels, checking air readings, serviceing the air compressor (B car) and some other minor work..... it is kind of dirty

I have been a CI for 10 months. i work in a barn 6-2 S/S off I'm backfill I spend most of my time on the inspection line. Inspection is broken into 3 dutys... undercar...... propulsion...... and.... carbody.

I work on new tech cars

undercar is inspect gearboxes, changeing brake shoes, testing trip cocks, gaugeing wheels, checking air readings, serviceing the air compressor (B car) and some other minor work..... it is kind of dirty

You work 6p-2a or 6a-2p? Because I was thinking about switching from buses to CED. They are talking about serious cuts on our overtime and if I could get a job and schedule like that, I would gladly accept the higher hourly pay...

I heard second hand information that to save money, they are outsouricng maintenance on buses by driving the buses to New Jersey. Is this true? A few times I have seen MTA buses (regular buses, not express ones) in Weehawken and I was always wondering what those buses were doing in NJ.

Warranty work gets done at the secaucus dealer as well as the cummins dealer in Newark so from any given time they have an assortment of busses from different depots in they're yard. Mostly Orion next gen though. As they are the lousiest.and least dependable. I'll take an rts any day over this crap!!

I heard second hand information that to save money, they are outsouricng maintenance on buses by driving the buses to New Jersey. Is this true? A few times I have seen MTA buses (regular buses, not express ones) in Weehawken and I was always wondering what those buses were doing in NJ.

It's true to an extent. When you see buses traveling to NJ, it's most likely warranty work being done as mentioned above. When TA farms out bus repairs, the venders usually come to the depot to do it. For instance, there's a Long Island based company called "Northeastern Bus Rebuilders" that comes to 126th depot to troubleshoot and repair the hybrid drive part of the Orion VII NG's. The higher ups claim that because of the extremely high costs to the BAE components (PCS = $50,000, Traction Motor = $100,000), they want to make sure the repairs are needed, and have warranty protection. Now that same company was suppose to have been contracted to overhaul 40 or so MCI's because of a backup in CMF schedules.

It's harder for buses to resist moves like this because there are too many cooks in the union kitchen. You have an MaBSTOA TWU rep, a TA TWU rep, and reps from 2 different ATU locals. In RTO and CED, its only 1 voice

• 1 month later...

They had/have papers out to go for RCI and I filled it out.

They did send a note to my barn to report to Livingston St, pay the fee again and basicly start all over as a provsional employee. I asked the deputy superintendent what my options where and I filled out a G2 declining the offer. I was probationary but permenant (since then I am no longer probationary). If I accepted the probationary title my employment could have more easily been terminated but the main reason is:

The reason I declined the position is the hours are terrible, it is a 24/7/365 title. I would start out near or at the bottom of the senority list, The pick list for RCI title was just on the board, it totally sucks! There are only a few hundred RCI's most of them work some sort of overnight shift with weekday RDO's (regular days off).

My kids are grown but I still have no desire to work 11-7 or midnight to 8:00 with Tuesdays and Wedensdays off or some other shit tour.

Archived