Transit worker suffers burns at 72nd Street station

mark1447

A transit worker suffered serious burns while working on a signal at the 72nd Street Station on the Upper West Side.

The signal maintainer was at the station working on a signal that was damaged when a train came in contact with an open signal box. The worker was rushed to NY Presbyterian Weill Cornell Medical Center. His injuries are serious but not life threatening.

Northbound 1, 2 and 3 train service was suspended at around 8 p.m when the signal was damaged. Five subway trains were stuck in tunnels as a result. An MTA spokesman said all were moved to stations by 9 p.m.

At one point, all 1, 2 and 3 train service was suspended between 42nd and 96th Streets. Service has resumed with residual delays.

The MTA is investigating how the worker was injured.

Source: http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/new_york&id=8733140

The burn injuries were serious but not life threating according to the article. The transit worker should be OK. He's definitely in excrutiating pain I'm sure but he will recover in time.

Work injuries just suck. I can relate.

Signal Maintainers and Maintenance of Way are full of knuckleheads when it comes to working safely in or around the trackway. I heard the supervisor was trying to cover it up and pouring water on the guy's burns and didn't call Control Center. I talked with the Train Service Supervisor who responded, he asked the man if he wanted medical attention and he called Control Center while his supervisor hadn't–he said heads are going to roll because of it, its all on the supervisor and he's got to know he's facing termination.

I was approaching 42nd Street Northbound on the (6) and was pulling around the curve into the station and catch a damn signal maintainer hanging onto the entering signal with no protective flagging just in my peripheral vision–I blasted the horn right at him... as per rule, of course. Knucklehead.

Leaving Chambers on the (1) coming around a curve... 2 knuckleheads with no lamps just walking toward me on the track... the first guy was so frightened he didn't know what signal to give me with his flashlight which I have to translate into a stop, anyway. I also reported them.

Knuckleheads.

I'm still confused as to what happened here...the train hit the open signal box cover, which seems to have shorted it out, fine. Where does the worker fit into this? Was he standing next to the box? Was he just nearby and jumped when the sparks flew and landed on the third rail?

Alrighty lets get down to business here.

I hope he recovers well.

Word.

Electrocution?

Most likely. Let us hope he will recover.

tumblr_m57xd65swZ1qjvxfho1_500.jpg

Uncalled for. This is a serious matter. No time for memes.

Signal Maintainers and Maintenance of Way are full of knuckleheads when it comes to working safely in or around the trackway. I heard the supervisor was trying to cover it up and pouring water on the guy's burns and didn't call Control Center. I talked with the Train Service Supervisor who responded, he asked the man if he wanted medical attention and he called Control Center while his supervisor hadn't–he said heads are going to roll because of it, its all on the supervisor and he's got to know he's facing termination.

I was approaching 42nd Street Northbound on the (6) and was pulling around the curve into the station and catch a damn signal maintainer hanging onto the entering signal with no protective flagging just in my peripheral vision–I blasted the horn right at him... as per rule, of course. Knucklehead.

Leaving Chambers on the (1) coming around a curve... 2 knuckleheads with no lamps just walking toward me on the track... the first guy was so frightened he didn't know what signal to give me with his flashlight which I have to translate into a stop, anyway. I also reported them.

Knuckleheads.

Safety is the number 1 thing on boats, and planes, and I assume trains as well. I am 100% with you reporting them, as this is the cause of most transit related accidents. Safety is always the number 1 priority.

Archived