Apple win badly hurts Samsung

A jury just awarded Apple (AAPL) $1.05 billion in damages in its patent case against Samsung. This is a huge victory for Apple that will likely keep at least one major Samsung product out of the U.S. market. And yet, it does not completely undermine Google's (GOOG) strategic plans because of the nature of the patents in the case.

The jury found that Samsung had infringed on six out of seven patents that Apple had asserted in the trial, according to the Wall Street Journal. The one patent that Samsung was found not to have infringed on covered the physical look of the iPad. The others covered Apple developments including the look of on-screen icons and detection of finger gestures. Samsung had counter-sued with its own patents, but the jury found Apple infringed on none of them.

A number of market observers have wondered whether Apple's legal drive to attack Google's Android mobile operating system -- now the most widely used in the world through the search giant's hardware partners -- would work. Based on this, the answer is yes and no.

Samsung has pulled ahead as the premier Android device manufacturer, likely outselling Apple in number of units. (It is difficult to know for sure, as Samsung no longer publicly reports unit sales.) Anything that could slow down the Korean electronics company will hurt Google.

However, Samsung's loss was based not on intrinsic issues of Android, but on an extensive company paper trail the jury took to mean that it had deliberately set out to copy the iPhone. The combination of that, and Samsung design choices that allegedly caused consumer confusion between products of the two companies, were the key to Apple's victory.

It is a fairly sure bet that Samsung will appeal the ruling that that the case could drag on much longer.

The $1.05 billion award will hurt Samsung, though it's hardly a crippling blow. Samsung's total profits (including all divisions, not just mobile) for the first quarter of 2012 were more than $5 billion. Far more problematic is the injunction against the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet that the judge granted Apple. Apple might now be able to move to exclude more Samsung products from the vital U.S. market.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505124_162-57500257/apple-win-badly-hurts-samsung/

F*kin hell... Apple is basically becoming a monopoly now

It shows in their hardware alone, all propiortory parts it's really annoying. Forced to get essential parts from Apple instead of third party manufacturers if you need to do repairs. That's why I don't own a mac among other reasons.... it's their monoplologic (lack of a better word) marketing strategy. I would'nt even work for Apple if the job was handed to me. Their corporate culture is so jaded it would make many IT professionals uncomfortable working for such an employer.

Wait a minute, read this: in the wake of the US ruling a tech analyst from the Washington Post is reporting that a 3 panel ruling in Korea found both parties (That means Apple as well as Samsung) infringed on each other patents. As a result ordering a sales ban on older Apple iPhones and iPads. This does'nt affect iPhone 4S models however. On the part of the offenses on Apple it was established that the corporation had infringed on a mobile technology patent.

Some commentators have noted that it was obvious that both companies would win in their home countries. The judge presiding over the case, Lucy Koh—I believe—is Korean, but seems to be biased against the Korean company judging by her refusal to allow Samsung a chance to present some evidence.

For whatever reason it is, it seemed to me Judge Lucy Koh was trying to sweep under the rug the fact that that Apple APPL iPhone design was actually based on a description of a future phone developed by the engineers at Sony Corp. called TYO:6758. To go even further, according to reports she was trying to stop Samsung from sharing details on its own designs on a future smartphone which preceded the advent of the Apple iPhone.

I've learned that In 2006, Ms. Koh was part of a team of lawyers that represented Creative Technology (remember them?) in a patent dispute against Apple. The case was eventually settled and Apple agreed to pay a $100 million settlement. Resultantly many Apple supporters accused her of favoring Samsung because she's Korean according to a very credible news source. What was going through her mind when those accusations were made based on her decision I don't know and will not speculate at this point in this discussion until more facts comes to light.

She's only been a federal judge for a short while with limited experience, and is also known to be a tough no nonsense and sometimes very short tempered judge, she once asked a senior lawyer if he was on crack while in another scenerio tried to sanction one of the most accomplished lawyers in this country for reasons that was'nt justified.

I don't think that Samsung really got a fair trial for many reasons. This is just the tip of the iceberg on the reasons why IHMO.

Apple can go on with it's brainwashing but I don't think it could go on for long, Apple's tactics on thermonuclear wars aren't going to benefit the technology market. I would say some part of Samsung's OS kinda look like Apple, but I don't think multi-touch gestures should be allowed to be patented, as long as the codes aren't an identical copy of the other. As for icons, and layout, they shouldn't make it look similar to Apple's, though not identical,

As for other Galaxy Devices, I think the hardware side should be judged based on how similar it looks like, I think the Tablet and rest of the devices clearly doesn't look like Apple's iDevices, you can't just look at one side of the device, look thoroughly then buy it. Consumers couldn't be that stupid on not know what they're buying. As for the Galaxy Tab 10.1, I hope eventually it gets reversed because Apple shouldn't be allowed to execute a complete monopoly. And the "loft" designs of Apple and Samsung devices, shouldn't be allowed to be patented as long as the devices are not identical, which I think Samsung's and Apple's aren't overall in every dimension.

The jury here clearly has a bias against Samsung, I think it should be trialed in New York instead of California, smh...

• 2 weeks later...

In the wake of a very recent ruling in Tokyo that rejected Apple's claims of patent infringement, Apple is in a California court again, seeking even more bans on the sales of Samsung products. Including the Samsung Galaxy S3 along with 20 other devices. The significance of this is that if they succeed, US sales can be halted on one of Samsung's best selling products - even before this new trial begins. It's obvious that Apple is trying to find every legal loophole it can to shut competitors out and monopolize the global market, not just the US market.

Google has officially commented on this ruling stating that it does not want this ruling to limit consumer's access to Android devices. However the US Patent Office doesn't see the validity in Google's statements regarding this. There's also speculation that many smartphone manufacturers will adopt Microsoft Windows into their technology. This will be interesting to see how Google (and Microsoft for that matter) will react to these bans that Apple is looking to establish and uphold through the judicial systems around the world.

Apple is becoming worse than Microsoft all along the way... Microsoft is giving the market ease of access to the web and stuff, Apple is giving the market a monopoly stance, it's like they own the GUI and any technology art (when it could be any type of graphics or shapes, colors and forms) .

Apple products are too expensive to buy and some of their fans hate Windows and other companies and only want something from theirs.

I love Microsoft and other companies.

they are actually a good value when you consider that they are built to higher build quality standards, the OS upgrades are much cheaper than windows, $20 for the next Mac OS vs hundreds for Windows, and the tech support is American based, as you can go to your local apple store and set up an appointment with the genius bar to help diagnose hardware problems.

they are actually a good value when you consider that they are built to higher build quality standards, the OS upgrades are much cheaper than windows, $20 for the next Mac OS vs hundreds for Windows, and the tech support is American based, as you can go to your local apple store and set up an appointment with the genius bar to help diagnose hardware problems.

It's the simplicity of the Mac OS/iOS platform that makes it appealing to everyone else... On an Apple computer you don't have easy access to important files on the hard drive that if tampered with, could potentially brick the system unless a system restore is performed. It's the same thing with the phones. I have a friend who is an iPhone 4 user, she's made various attempts to "jailbreak" her phone, being able to change certain things one wouldn't be able to change. On one occasion she managed to change something and wound up nearly bricking her phone because it would not charge when plugged in... So a factory reset had to be done.

If you're computer savvy you could definitely build a high-end computer that you'll probably be upgrading in 3-5 years for much less than an iMac built to spec other than stock. If any problems arise you could easily scope out the problem part and return it/replace it for a new one.

It's the simplicity of the Mac OS/iOS platform that makes it appealing to everyone else... On an Apple computer you don't have easy access to important files on the hard drive that if tampered with, could potentially brick the system unless a system restore is performed. It's the same thing with the phones. I have a friend who is an iPhone 4 user, she's made various attempts to "jailbreak" her phone, being able to change certain things one wouldn't be able to change. On one occasion she managed to change something and wound up nearly bricking her phone because it would not charge when plugged in... So a factory reset had to be done.

If you're computer savvy you could definitely build a high-end computer that you'll probably be upgrading in 3-5 years for much less than an iMac built to spec other than stock. If any problems arise you could easily scope out the problem part and return it/replace it for a new one.

dont confuse mac OS with ios, Mac OS still has Terminal which gives you unix command line access to the system.

and the tech support is American based, as you can go to your local apple store and set up an appointment with the genius bar to help diagnose hardware problems.

Working for the retail end of Apple I admit it seems to be a good way to start as a tech. I know a lady working at one of the stores, as a genius. Considering the fact that she started at $15.00 per hour with just a CompTIA A+ Certification alone that's actually a good start. I had to deal with dished out humble pie when I finally got my first certification years ago. I mean this was her first all out assault into the IT industry with her pretty self fresh out of vocational school.

Usually according to my understanding, senior techs can start at 16 dollars an hour. Not a bad gig if this is your first leap into the industry as a service provider.

Archived