can a link be built between North Shore Branch and the Triboro RX

kingal11234

The point is the MTA would probably be left footing the whole bill as this would connect both MTA services. There are many other projects that needs to be finished first. An SIRT connection to any borough is just that, a fantasy. When the SAS is done and 90% of the stations are up to basic standards, then maybe they could do some planning for such a tunnel.

I agree with you Grand Concourse - before they do other projects, they should do their current projects first.

OK when do you propose that the SI tunnel be built? 2020, 2030. The Second Ave is not gonna be finished until 2019, so they say. But when if not now are we ever gonna start these projects huh? First of all the city build the Eight ave,six ave, and crosstown lines during th e Great Depression. Could you imagine if the planners had done what you advised and waited for one line to finish before starting another we would have probably never seen some of these lines built. How much longer should residents of Si,Brooklyn,Queens wait while the MTA tells them there is no money, even though they still find money to improve transportation in Manhattan? Do you know that the only reason why Staten Island agreed to join NY was because they were promised a connection in 1898? You stated that there are other projects that needed to be finish first. But the SI Tunnel was a projected that was started b4 any other project including the SAS so this if anything should be done b4 we extend other lines

OK when do you propose that the SI tunnel be built? 2020, 2030. The Second Ave is not gonna be finished until 2019, so they say. But when if not now are we ever gonna start these projects huh? First of all the city build the Eight ave,six ave, and crosstown lines during th e Great Depression. Could you imagine if the planners had done what you advised and waited for one line to finish before starting another we would have probably never seen some of these lines built. How much longer should residents of Si,Brooklyn,Queens wait while the MTA tells them there is no money, even though they still find money to improve transportation in Manhattan? Do you know that the only reason why Staten Island agreed to join NY was because they were promised a connection in 1898? You stated that there are other projects that needed to be finish first. But the SI Tunnel was a projected that was started b4 any other project including the SAS so this if anything should be done b4 we extend other lines

Comparing todays economy and the economy of the 30s is like comparing apples and oranges. Not to mention the different construction techniques, labor laws, NEEDS(an important one), costs, etc. And if the point of "fishing a project before starting one, there were plenty of projects started and completes before even second ave. Tunnels that go nowhere, stations that are only shells. The Environmental Studies for just a tunnel alone would takes years. Look at SAS recent history. And it has tunnels pre-built. And the project now is more expensice, and taking longer, than if it was initially completed. (BTW one of those tunnels segmants won't be used). Now just because a portion is already built 1) its 100 yrs old. I doubt its in any good contition yet alone salvagable. 2) it will still cost more and take longer to build 3) the cost can be even higher if they chose to renovate what's already there. There's more of a chance if the North Shore gets rebuilt as part as SIR.

Exactly, build up the rail infrastructure on SI first, then worry about such future expansions.

If SI doesn't like being treated like a 2nd class citizen, i honestly don't care if they break off from the city to join New Jersey. SI is geographically closer to Jersey than NY and it's cost prohibitive to drive from Brooklyn to SI as the toll is what $11? ^*

I'll say it once more: even if such a rail tunnel were to be built, realistically how many express bus riders are going to give up their one seat ride to Manhattan for a multi bus-train commute?* (especially how some thinks the trains are dirty and unclean.)

^*If the MTA has issues just securing funds for the next phases of the SAS, where the hell do you think they will find the money for such a long underwater tunnel? So it's is as I said it is, A Fantasy.

Yeah this would be a fantasy as some Staten Islanders don't like the subway and sometimes fear of it.

Key word: Some.

Too bad the The MTA Chairman doesn't even want the HBLR crossing over to SI. Instead having a BRT route connect with HBLR 34th Street. Likely the S89....

When did he say that? :huh:

And even if such a tunnel were to be built, would it end the need for all or most of the express buses on SI? I don't think many SI'ers are going to be that willing to lose their one seat ride to take a bus to train and deal with standing, beggars, 'uncleaned seats'...

Ugh. I see you're thinking in the VG8 mindset. Not all SIers are self-hating elitists like him. There are plenty of us who can deal with standing, beggars and all that. But the express bus is much faster, so we suck it up and pay extra.

Aside from that, the amount of ferry riders is almost double the amount of express bus riders (65,000 vs. 36,000). I think the ferry riders can deal with it.

Not that any of this matters because it would involve taking a roundabout way through Brooklyn instead of a direct route to Manhattan. Sure, it would be nice, but I'd take a direct tunnel to Manhattan any day of the week.

Comparing todays economy and the economy of the 30s is like comparing apples and oranges. Not to mention the different construction techniques, labor laws, NEEDS(an important one), costs, etc.

Well, the need is definitely still there. And the costs are only going to go up as time goes on.

If SI doesn't like being treated like a 2nd class citizen, i honestly don't care if they break off from the city to join New Jersey. SI is geographically closer to Jersey than NY and it's cost prohibitive to drive from Brooklyn to SI as the toll is what $11? ^*

I'll say it once more: even if such a rail tunnel were to be built, realistically how many express bus riders are going to give up their one seat ride to Manhattan for a multi bus-train commute?* (especially how some thinks the trains are dirty and unclean.)

It's $13, BUT it counts as a round-trip toll (eastbound is free, westbound is tolled). If there was a two-way toll, it would be $6.50 like the other tunnels (BBT, QMT, etc)

Aside from that, it only applies if you pay in cash. For EZ-Pass users, it's $9.60, and if you're an SI resident, it's $5.76. The people who keep pushing that $13 figure are f**king morons.

Here's the list of tolls at the crossings.

As far as this particular proposal of connection the Triboro RX to the SIR, I don't think it's feasable, but only for the reason that it doesn't connect us directly to Manhattan. (If you're trying to get to Lower Manhattan, you don't save any time taking the subway over taking the ferry). Sure, it connects us to Brooklyn, which is nice, but it doesn't make the trip to Manhattan that much easier.

I don't believe in this "forgotten borough" BS, because there are plenty of other areas in the city that should have better rapid transit service. But I don't agree with the idea that just because we're geographically isolated that there's no need to connect us to the rest of the city. There is still demand for the service.

Alright fair enough^, but you understand that even if such a connection were made, it won't make traveling any faster or direct. Some people have to separate the line between realistic goals and fantasy.

And besides that, it won't make traveling any faster for like what? 10 years if they'd start before Chrismas 2012? I mean, to plan a tunnel is one thing. To build it is another one. It will take a long, long time before the first train goes through the tunnel even if they remain on schedule.

• 3 weeks later...

err won't this benefit those going to queens and JFK? and to LI from SI this triboro RX to SIR? That may take several cars off the belt and may be just as beneficial as a so called manhattan tunnel yeah the costs are high though but that is basically the only hurdle.

Not possible

err won't this benefit those going to queens and JFK?and to LI from SI this triboro RX to SIR

drop in the bucket.

That may take several cars off the belt

a handful and not much more.

and may be just as beneficial as a so called manhattan tunnel yeah the costs are high though but that is basically the only hurdle.

and the land usage rights and the trackage rights on the Freemont from CSX and the NEC from Amtrak.

the RX has never been a searious project on the MTA's to do list. It's all foam and and no beer.

drop in the bucket.

and the land usage rights and the trackage rights on the Freemont from CSX and the NEC from Amtrak.

the RX has never been a searious project on the MTA's to do list. It's all foam and and no beer.

drop in the bucket.

drop in the bucket.

the RX has never been a serious project on the MTA's to do list. It's all foam and and no beer.

Just because the Mta hasn't considered it does not mean it's not a good Idea. They have never communicated positions for or against it. By the way the CEO CSX has said that he is fine with the line being built so a longer as more tracks are built.

you really have a problem using the quote function, don't you...

everyone, at one point is a wide eyed dreamer, then you wake up and realize that 99.99999% of the stuff in youre head is unfeasble and that getting things done is a hell of a lot more complicated that you thought it was.

yes, they haven't really considered it, but that doesn't make it a good idea. mr. CSX CEO will only get to use his extra tracks if the line is built to full commuter standards, which means it can not share space with SIR, regaurdless of your position on the SIR status issue (I and others hold it's a railroad under waver, which it would lose if connected to the main line, still others inists it's a transit line). you just said, connect this to that and that and build this, without caring if we're actually allowed to do so, and yet you think we're the problem?

Archived