Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
MF Ensembleson

LIRR's West Side Yard

I remember that the last time I was in Penn Station, there was a train going to the "West Side Yard" on the main branch board above the ticket booths, and I've yet to figure out what it is.

I think it is called the West Side Yard, but I'm not certain since I haven't been to NY in a while. -_-

That's the LIRR's yard in Manhattan. Before it was built trains had to deadhead back to Long Island and come back. Now it's just a 10-15 minute move. Why it's always on the board at 7:00 AM I've never figured out.

I see "West Side Yard" up all the time. I'm curious if its to let employees gain access to the Yard via train?

Its for employees to get to the yard. The "time" on the board is a sham, IIRC. Trains are announced and tracks are accurate, though.

• Upvote 1

Oh, I see the West Side Yard on the track board very often.I never actually went to see it though. The West Side Yard is pretty big, especially if you look at some photos:

PennStation.jpg

West_Side_Yard_33d_St_low_jeh.jpg

• Upvote 1

Its for employees to get to the yard. The "time" on the board is a sham, IIRC. Trains are announced and tracks are accurate, though.

The time is not a sham. 12mid and 7am are accurate.

Do all LIRR trains that terminate at NYP go to West Side Yard?

Like are there some W/B trains that come into the station and go back East without ever going to West Side Yard?

Edited by trainfan22

Do all LIRR trains that terminate at NYP go to West Side Yard?

Like are there some W/B trains that come into the station and go back East without ever going to West Side Yard?

There are plenty. Especially during rush hours.

• Upvote 1

but why is the first two lines stuck with that data instead of showing more of the passenger trains?

Then why do I hear announcements for WSY trains during the day, and why do the 12mid and 7am stay up well past those times?

Then why do I hear announcements for WSY trains during the day, and why do the 12mid and 7am stay up well past those times?

Because employees of the yard and crew members head to the yard all times of the day. There are 3 shifts at WSY 7 days a week. It's a 24 hour yard. So there is no way they are going to put all the trains terminating in the yard on the board. Majority of the shift change is those 2 times.

but why is the first two lines stuck with that data instead of showing more of the passenger trains?

I don't know I guess why switch them if they are going back up any way.
  • Upvote 1