Long Island Rail Road employees face bust in big copper caper

Harry

post-5097-0-80321100-1358949021_thumb.jpg
More than a dozen Long Island Railroad workers will be slapped with criminal charges after a probe into the theft of hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of copper from the MTA, the Daily News has learned. A source said the scrap-metal scam — which gives new meaning to ‘work gang’ — dates back to at least 2010. Participants in the scheme sold the highly sought-after metal to a Long Island scrap yard for cash and split the proceeds, sources said.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-80321100-1358949021_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, this was another punch in the face for us LIRR employees. I didn't know the employees, but I heard some people at work do.
I couldn't agree more. Even though selling copper scraps is a common practice with construction sites and even some big name utility agencies where they are actually doing them a favor getting rid of tons of scrap. But when it comes to federal workers like us you should know better on how they keep eye on every supply,scrap ,tool or whatever. Now is this big part of MTA budget woes , not even close to sniffing the beginning. Workers just have to be smarter and tell themselves its not worth my paycheck or my families well being.

I couldn't agree more. Even though selling copper scraps is a common practice with construction sites and even some big name utility agencies where they are actually doing them a favor getting rid of tons of scrap. But when it comes to federal workers like us you should know better on how they keep eye on every supply,scrap ,tool or whatever. Now is this big part of MTA budget woes , not even close to sniffing the beginning. Workers just have to be smarter and tell themselves its not worth my paycheck or my families well being.

Exactly, Especially when you have time on the Railroad and jack it up for this....

Archived