Ticket choices for LIRR

nyctransit

I would be travelling 8 times a week ( 4 round-trips) every week from bayside to penn station. What LIRR ticket option would you recommend? I imagine the monthly pass is expensive for me. so I'm thinking between the weekly and the 10-trip. is there anything that I need to be aware of? I'm relatively new to LIRR  and I currently buy tickets as I go.

Assuming you're traveling during peak hours on both legs of the round trip, the monthly is your best value. Granted we are already 9 days into March so probably not for the rest of this month, but definitely at the beginning of April if you plan to travel 8 times a week for the whole month. If you're starting your 4 r/t commute this coming Monday, 3 weekly tickets for the rest of March will cost $201.75 as opposed to the $210 monthly. Weekly tickets are good from Saturday to the following Friday, so this week's weekly is effective today (3/9/13) till Friday (3/15/13). This means March 30th and 31st won't be covered by the weekly tickets if you plan on getting the April monthly if that matters to you.

Awesome analysis, thank you so much. Yes, my travel is peak-travel.

Also, I was inclined toward the 10-day or weekly tickets.  I guess, what you say about monthly makes more sense and so I might purchase monthly going forward for april.

A quick question - if I buy the weekly or monthly peak ticket then can I also use it on off-peak times?

Weekly and monthly tickets are good for travel at all times. There is no off-peak version of the weekly and monthly tickets. So to answer the question, yes, you can use during off-peak times including weekends.

• 3 weeks later...

I would recommend the Queens local bus to the #7 express train.  Should take at most 20 minutes extra each way and it'll be $2.50 round trip with your Metrocard.  Go to www.mta.info to find which Queens local bus is closest to you.  No need to pay the outrageous peak fares on the LIRR.

Assuming you want to have a seat and comfortable ride, I would suggest looking into an express bus. The QM2 and QM20 run from Bayside, if I am not mistaken, and cost, at most 6 dollars per ride (bonuses and weekly cards might save some money). It will take longer than LIRR but makes more financial sense, and there may be more buses than trains at the times you need the ride

I went ahead and bought the LIRR monthly for this month. This ticket has made a huge hole in my pocket!

I'm going to look into the express buses. I have never checked the routes for express buses.

I have been using the local nyct buses to the 7 train and then the 7 to times-square. Trust me, the 7 train is crazy at that hour. It leaves my whole day stressed out. I think the people in that train need to start behaving more courteous and be civil. I seriously don't ind the LIRR cost considering that i'm left stress-free for the whole day.

I went ahead and bought the LIRR monthly for this month. This ticket has made a huge hole in my pocket!

I'm going to look into the express buses. I have never checked the routes for express buses.I have been using the local nyct buses to the 7 train and then the 7 to times-square. Trust me, the 7 train is crazy at that hour. It leaves my whole day stressed out. I think the people in that train need to start behaving more courteous and be civil. I seriously don't ind the LIRR cost considering that i'm left stress-free for the whole day.

Do NOT bother with express bus it's only a measly 3 trips it is not flexible where do you work? Stick to LIRR the monthly is 197 I think but LIRR is frequent with an excellent schedule to boot. In addition the express bus out there is slow to boot. The more frequent QM2/20 is no better if not as slow as 7 express to Q12 if from bayside. Q13 to that would leave you pulling ur hair out in the PM with it's stupid northern blvd routing. QM buses queens bound are a joke mostly.

Do NOT bother with express bus it's only a measly 3 trips it is not flexible where do you work? Stick to LIRR the monthly is 197 I think but LIRR is frequent with an excellent schedule to boot. In addition the express bus out there is slow to boot. The more frequent QM2/20 is no better if not as slow as 7 express to Q12 if from bayside. Q13 to that would leave you pulling ur hair out in the PM with it's stupid northern blvd routing. QM buses queens bound are a joke mostly.

It's not about how flexible it is, it's about if it will get you there conveniently at the time you wish.

It's not about how flexible it is, it's about if it will get you there conveniently at the time you wish.

That is why the LIRR is the best option. Getting stuck in street traffic with lights for a premium fare is silly. Having to take a local bus to an express bus is also silly going through residential areas by it's first few stops. Taking one with only 3 trips that is no faster than even the subway is very silly.

That is why the LIRR is the best option. Getting stuck in street traffic with lights for a premium fare is silly. Having to take a local bus to an express bus is also silly going through residential areas by it's first few stops. Taking one with only 3 trips that is no faster than even the subway is very silly.

If the OP happens to live right off of an EXP route, then it is another good option to have. Even if it is not much faster than the subway, the peace and quiet and guarenteed seat are worth the extra money, especially since it is less than LIRR

I work in the financial district. I looked up some express bus routes and none seem to be close enough to me , as opposed to the LIRR which is 2 blocks. Definitely a pricey option but LIRR is the best thing that has happened to me!

I have the april monthly now and I might get the may monthly and then the june monthly, oh well, as long as I have access to a LIRR train, I'm going to use it - the subway drives me crazy

I work in the financial district. I looked up some express bus routes and none seem to be close enough to me , as opposed to the LIRR which is 2 blocks. Definitely a pricey option but LIRR is the best thing that has happened to me!

I have the april monthly now and I might get the may monthly and then the june monthly, oh well, as long as I have access to a LIRR train, I'm going to use it - the subway drives me crazy

It was worth a shot. Hey, if you can afford the LIRR, go for it!

welcome to the club.

Exactly... This guy is so anti-bus it's ridiculous.  There are some people that prefer the commuter trains or the subway and some prefer the bus.  To each its own.

Nope I am anti-slow or anti-redundant. If a mode is less frequent and slower than a mode within walking distance that does the same thing it does not need to exist.

Unfortunately according to you all buses fall under this category...  <_<

wrong answer dude you lump buses in one category each bus is different some take you to the subway some link each other others are just plain redundant something you don't seem to get even when you know the line is overserved and has many empty buses. Notice how I don't bash express lines with high ridership?

Archived