"Coney Island comeback skipping us": Scarce services rile residents as iconic amusements reopens

Shortline Bus

VG8 sounding like archer bunker. Yes CI had problems but there goes your riff raff comment again. I was raised there. Not everyone from CI was a gang member. Insulting me. And yes some ppl did visit the neighborhood pass the asument park

Oh really??? Funny how you choose to take issue with me when I'm not the only one who has called the place a dump in this very thread.  Even you admitted that it was drug infested, so my comments are TRUE!   I didn't say anywhere that everyone from Coney Island was a gang member so you need to read a bit more carefully.  I'm sorry, but I'm not speaking from some media reports or any other BS out there.  I'm speaking from personal experiences of being in the area so EXCUSE me for speaking the truth, especially seeing that I myself was born and raised in Southern Brooklyn.  <_<

They're acting like the place was so built up before Hurricane Sandy that now they're the lost and forgotten neighborhood when it's always been that way going to back to when I was a kid and we would go over there from Sheepshead Bay.  In fact you could argue that the place is a bit safer now, only because of the tourists and the police presence, but like I said, I still wouldn't go venturing past Nathan's late at night.

I guess I'm not allowed to call a minority neighborhood a dump (which is the truth) because I'm mixed... Well guess again...  In fact from what I've heard more whites have been moving to the area here and there and guess what? I still think the place is a dump, so there and to clarify it's a dump because of the drug dealers and low lives that have made the area what it is over the years and continue to do so, not the hardworking folks in the area.

Oh really??? Funny how you choose to take issue with me when I'm not the only one who has called the place a dump in this very thread.  Even you admitted that it was drug infested, so my comments are TRUE!   I didn't say anywhere that everyone from Coney Island was a gang member so you need to read a bit more carefully.  I'm sorry, but I'm not speaking from some media reports or any other BS out there.  I'm speaking from personal experiences of being in the area so EXCUSE me for speaking the truth, especially seeing that I myself was born and raised in Southern Brooklyn.  <_<

They're acting like the place was so built up before Hurricane Sandy that now they're the lost and forgotten neighborhood when it's always been that way going to back to when I was a kid and we would go over there from Sheepshead Bay.  In fact you could argue that the place is a bit safer now, only because of the tourists and the police presence, but like I said, I still wouldn't go venturing past Nathan's late at night.

I guess I'm not allowed to call a minority neighborhood a dump (which is the truth) because I'm mixed... Well guess again...  In fact from what I've heard more whites have been moving to the area here and there and guess what? I still think the place is a dump, so there and to clarify it's a dump because of the drug dealers and low lives that have made the area what it is over the years and continue to do so, not the hardworking folks in the area.

Actually CI if you count Russian Immigrants was diverse. I never called CI (Great Neck, LI) either but the tone of your thread does make it worse than what it was. Also I am also "mixed" myself. That my point.

FYI. IMO Far Rockaway, certain parts of East NY, East Flatbush(no offense to B35) Jamaica, Queens and Long Island City I would consider more of a dump. How could you not beat the views of the VZ Bridge. :o

I'm not sure if too many people are willing to invest in the area after the hurricane. Not only is it a dump because of the people, but the entire island is practically a whipping post for Mother Nature as shown by the flood damage. Those failed businesses in my area… if anyone had any plans to buy the property on the cheap, they're scrapped now.

Actually CI if you count Russian Immigrants was diverse. I never called CI (Great Neck, LI) either but the tone of your thread does make it worse than what it was. Also I am also "mixed" myself. That my point.

FYI. IMO Far Rockaway, certain parts of East NY, East Flatbush(no offense to B35) Jamaica, Queens and Long Island City I would consider more of a dump. How could you not beat the views of the VZ Bridge. :o

Well that's interesting because CenSin pretty much elaborates on my post which I've quoted above yours and also calls it a dump and he lives in the area and yet you didn't seem to have any problem with the "tone" of his post... Very interesting...  <_< I don't care how you try to spin it but I was born and raised in Southern Brooklyn and the way that these folks are trying to act, you would think that everything is because of Sandy.  Hell I don't recall ever seeing a bank or any of the basics anywhere on Coney Island and I've been deep into the island on several occasions so like I said I'm talking from experience.  Whether you like it or not is not my problem.

Well that's interesting because CenSin pretty much elaborates on my post which I've quoted above yours and also calls it a dump and he lives in the area and yet you didn't seem to have any problem with the "tone" of his post... Very interesting...  <_< I don't care how you try to spin it but I was born and raised in Southern Brooklyn and the way that these folks are trying to act, you would think that everything is because of Sandy.  Hell I don't recall ever seeing a bank or any of the basics anywhere on Coney Island and I've been deep into the island on several occasions so like I said I'm talking from experience.  Whether you like it or not is not my problem.

Ok Mr Brown Skin Archie Bunker.

...FYI. IMO Far Rockaway, certain parts of East NY, East Flatbush(no offense to B35) Jamaica, Queens and Long Island City I would consider more of a dump. How could you not beat the views of the VZ Bridge. :o

Lol.... Views of the Verrazano from where? While on the train? On the rickety wonder wheel perhaps?

Who goes to CI proper to capture views of the bridge.....

They're acting like the place was so built up before Hurricane Sandy that now they're the lost and forgotten neighborhood when it's always been that way going to back to when I was a kid....

This.

Lol.... Views of the Verrazano from where? While on the train? On the rickety wonder wheel perhaps?

This.

If you looked on Bayview Ave (where start of NY Harbor is)you can see it. Ditto on the wonder wheel and parts of sea gate(before it got washed away). :o

The point is the place has generally been a dump and they're acting like they had this that and the other BEFORE Sandy... Pfff... Please... <_< No one goes over there past Nathan's and not much has changed either. Just more cops now and took the drugs and crack under control. Aside from those little bodegas, I can't think of one supermarket or bank ANYWHERE over there, even when I was passing by in a car, and this was well before Sandy.

There's a supermarket right there on Mermaid, forgot the cross street, somewhere in the late 20s.

I snuck into Seagate with my sister when the tide was low, and took pictures there. The view from the Belt Parkway path is much better though.

There's a supermarket right there on Mermaid, forgot the cross street, somewhere in the late 20s.

lol... Probably some hole in the wall too... 

This.

LOL! Exactly... If anything one would be better off going to Bay Ridge for views of the Verrazano...

Archived