Cheerios ad with mixed-race family draws racist responses

Don't cut me off.

The United States is an ever growing multicultural nation. Therefore the problems concerning racism is simply not a cut and dry black and white issue anymore. We have persons of Asian and Hispanic descent with their problems that may be of a different nature from Afro-Americans. That is what I know, rather guarantee that you are not seeing here.

Don't forget that we all bleed red, however coming from different origins, we will have to deal with different problems having to do with this society. It's really not a hard concept to grasp once one learns to think out of the box.

Don't get angry at me, I did not create this system or contribute to the problems in our society we see today.

Aint no one cutting you off.... What you bolded from my last reply is what sparked this disagreement.

Now you're going off on a totally different tangent with this latest post... Never remotely said or implicated that racism was as cut & dry of that b/w blacks & whites, stop projecting...

And No, this whole back & forth isn't me not thinking outside of the box & what I'm not supposedly seeing - It's you wanting to force the issue of problems due to racism that Asians face, even in a topic that has nothing to do with Asians - Because you feel that the racism that Asians face is ignored (which that, by itself, I agree with)... That's not the first time you've done that on this forum either....

I mean really, where was the Asian in this cheerios ad....

Aint no one cutting you off.... What you bolded from my last reply is what sparked this disagreement.

Now you're going off on a totally different tangent with this latest post... Never remotely said or implicated that racism was as cut & dry of that b/w blacks & whites, stop projecting...

And No, this whole back & forth isn't me not thinking outside of the box & what I'm not supposedly seeing - It's you wanting to force the issue of problems due to racism that Asians face, even in a topic that has nothing to do with Asians - Because you feel that the racism that Asians face is ignored (which that, by itself, I agree with)... That's not the first time you've done that on this forum either....

I mean really, where was the Asian in this cheerios ad...

The points posted is clearly on topic as what I was highlighting as side points has to do with the problems concerning prejudice and interracial marriage. The fact that there is no Asian in the Cherrios ad is besides the point.

Force things on you? I am simply giving my experience and telling you the similar problems mixed Asian families face which I would imagine fits as a parallel to the topic on hand.

The racism that Asians face is ignored? Sure. That is why APA activists coined the term 'Model Minority Myth'. Muse on it.

You can keep on going, I am simply answering your questions despite your attempts to literally hijack or derail this thread from one post I made with a point that is clearly valid. Not everyone on this forum thinks like you, has the same aspirations as you or has the same take on issues as you. 

And don't throw words into people's mouths. Particularly if someone just happens to disagree with you. It's not necessary to post like that if you simply wish to express your points.

Anything else you would like to add sir? I realize you must have your last say in a said debate which is typical coming from you.....

The points posted is clearly on topic as what I was highlighting as side points has to do with the problems concerning prejudice and interracial marriage. The fact that there is no Asian in the Cherrios ad is besides the point.

Force things on you? I am simply giving my experience and telling you the similar problems mixed Asian families face which I would imagine fits as a parallel to the topic on hand.

The racism that Asians face is ignored? Sure. That is why APA activists coined the term 'Model Minority Myth'. Muse on it.

You can keep on going, I am simply answering your questions despite your attempts to literally hijack or derail this thread from one post I made with a point that is clearly valid. Not everyone on this forum thinks like you, has the same aspirations as you or has the same take on issues as you. 

And don't throw words into people's mouths. Particularly if someone just happens to disagree with you. It's not necessary to post like that if you simply wish to express your points.

Anything else you would like to add sir? I realize you must have your last say in a said debate which is typical coming from you.....

Don't try to flip shit around like I'm the one that has a problem with any disagreement or differing opinions... FOH with that....

And yes you were trying to force your issue here - Especially after I disagreed with what you said & I then said you're not gonna convince me otherwise, you resort to posting this:

"There's a plethora of books on the Asian American community, sites on the internet and such that will confirm what I am saying, through articles and statistical reports produced by sociologists and APA activists in case you wish to add to your knowledge. Plus I am in authority to speak on this as a mixed Asian man with not just a Chinese and Indian lineage but also an Afrocentric lineage, coming out of an interracial marriage myself so if you have any questions in the future you can shoot me a post or a PM."

Which IS forcing your issue.... Don't tell me about any books on anything that supports what you're saying & how much of an authority you are to speak on something & to shoot you a PM, if it is plain as day in a post of mine beforehand you are not gonna sway my opinion....

And No, no Asian being in the Cheerios ad isn't besides the point... It IS the point.

There was a black man & a white woman in this ad - There's no reason for me to bring up Asians.... Absolutely None.

There was no discussion about Asians before you came in here & disagreed with what I said about which interracial coupling is the most hated - which never mentioned Asians....

You sit here and talk about hijacking a thread & putting words in people's mouths? There was no reason for you to go off on some diatribe aimed at me about how the US is a growing multicultural nation, and racism isn't as cut & dry black & white issue, and we all bleed red - As if I'm minimizing any racism people of other cultures face..... No, racism isn't just a black & white issue, but I'm not gonna bring up Asians if the topic/discussion at hand is an ad that features a black man & a white woman....

& miss me with that bullshit about having the last word, Realizm.... The fact that you have to resort to shaming tactics says enough.... Now don't bother me with this whole thing anymore...

You said it yourself:

"I will assume there is no more room for discussion here between us at on this particular."

Don't try to flip shit around like I'm the one that has a problem with any disagreement or differing opinions... FOH with that....

And yes you were trying to force your issue here - Especially after I disagreed with what you said & I then said you're not gonna convince me otherwise, you resort to posting this:

"There's a plethora of books on the Asian American community, sites on the internet and such that will confirm what I am saying, through articles and statistical reports produced by sociologists and APA activists in case you wish to add to your knowledge. Plus I am in authority to speak on this as a mixed Asian man with not just a Chinese and Indian lineage but also an Afrocentric lineage, coming out of an interracial marriage myself so if you have any questions in the future you can shoot me a post or a PM."

Which IS forcing your issue.... Don't tell me about any books on anything that supports what you're saying & how much of an authority you are to speak on something & to shoot you a PM, if it is plain as day in a post of mine beforehand you are not gonna sway my opinion....

And No, no Asian being in the Cheerios ad isn't besides the point... It IS the point.

There was a black man & a white woman in this ad - There's no reason for me to bring up Asians.... Absolutely None.

There was no discussion about Asians before you came in here & disagreed with what I said about which interracial coupling is the most hated - which never mentioned Asians....

Also, there was no reason for you to go off on some diatribe aimed at me about how the US is a growing multicultural nation, and racism isn't as cut & dry black & white issue, and we all bleed red - As if I'm minimizing any racism people of other cultures face.....

& miss me with that bullshit about having the last word, Realizm.... The fact that you have to resort to shaming tactics says enough.... Now don't bother me with this whole thing anymore...

You said it yourself:

"I will assume there is no more room for discussion here between us at on this particular."

Enough of this trollbaiting because this is what this discussion has disgressed to. Don't play these mind games with me.

I am still curious as to why I must have touched a nerve with this post which led to your tantrum of irrevelent posts:

Good points. I'll have to interject the fact that the most hated are black men married to/dating Asian women. That's some sad shit right there. Many reasons why.....

Explain....

Enough of this trollbaiting because this is what this discussion has disgressed to. Don't play these mind games with me.

I am still curious as to why I must have touched a nerve with this post which led to your tantrum of irrevelent posts:

I don't need to play mind games with you....

It's evident you're trying to bullshit your way out of this whole thing & you're being called out on it, that's what..... I love how it's "I'm not here for a time wasting back and forth arguement", then in posts afterwards say "Take your time. I'll read whatever response you post later on in the day.", now it's "enough of this trollbaiting".... Yeah, okay.... You couldn't just leave well enough alone, after I made this post..... Forcing your agenda onto me.

Oh, and nice try.... By quoting your original post here, don't try to make it out like everything I said in this back & forth was such this problem with you saying that BM/AW couples are the most hated..... That's where the disagreement stemmed from; there's a difference... I don't have to take shit you say at face value, and THAT is what you seem to have a problem with.... Who tries to convince someone of something when they flat out say their opinions will not be changed..... If I had such a problem with what you originally said, I would be on here trying to convince you of my stance.... I'm not the person that mentioned any books supporting what I'm saying, because I didn't care enough to (more than I can say for you)... I'm not on here to persuade people like that....

You can resort to shaming tactics & any other dismissive tactics all you want....

The fact of the matter is, this original discussion regarding the Cheerios ad had nothing to do with Asians.

Shaming tactics? Bullshitting? You did that to yourself!

By dismissing facts. By insisting that what I am saying is not on topic when it clearly is. By spamming the thread with false accusations. I'm not the one that is the source of your anger you are projecting at this point.

I tried to reason with you here even with sources (which you also refuse to even take into consideration) but instead you refuse to at least acknowledge my points. So hey, I will have to assume then that you are deliberately dismissing Asians in regards to the racism issue where it relates to interracial marriage (which is obviously on topic believe it or not, whether you like it or not!)

I mean that's what you said did'nt you?

But I will not be convinced that BM/AW couples are more hated than BM/WF couples....

As far as AF/WM couples, well you can feel free to speak on that, as I'm neither white nor asian....

I mean really, where was the Asian in this cheerios ad....

I'm not the person that mentioned any books supporting what I'm saying, because I didn't care enough to (more than I can say for you)... I'm not on here to persuade people like that....

You can resort to shaming tactics & any other dismissive tactics all you want....
The fact of the matter is, this original discussion regarding the Cheerios ad had nothing to do with Asians.

So.... Anything else you would like to say?

Shaming tactics? Bullshitting? You did that to yourself!

By dismissing facts. By insisting that what I am saying is not on topic when it clearly is. By spamming the thread with false accusations. I'm not the one that is the source of your anger you are projecting at this point.

I tried to reason with you here even with sources (which you also refuse to even take into consideration) but instead you refuse to at least acknowledge my points. So hey, I will have to assume then that you are deliberately dismissing Asians in regards to the racism issue where it relates to interracial marriage (which is obviously on topic believe it or not, whether you like it or not!)

I mean that's what you said did'nt you?

So.... Anything else you would like to say?

Lol at this.... man GTFO with this.... Really dude?

Firstly, I don't have to take what you say is fact, as fact (hence the original disagreement)....

This is something, for whatever reason, you cannot seem to get over....

Secondly, the source of my so-called "anger" stemmed from you trying to force your side of the disagreement onto me.... There is no projection; the tone of my posts isn't suggestive of any anger I have, due to the fact that we live in a racist world.... The source of my so-called "anger" in this particular discussion, is you - Not because you said BW/AM couples are the most hated, but because you tried to get me to believe what you say is truth & fact, after the fact.... And when that didn't work, All of a sudden my posts became a waste of your time, tantrums, trollbaiting, irrelevant & all of that nonsense.....

and Thirdly.... False accusations? Nope, I was right all along - you are pushing your agenda (of the ignoring of racism Asians face) on here.... Took you long enough to show your hand.... And you got the nerve to implicate I'm bullshitting? Your quoting of my posts here to make it look like I'm ignoring the racism that Asians face, is very underhanded, disingenuous, & quite frankly, disgusting..... I'm not gonna bring up Asians in a discussion that has nothing to do with them.... Black woman/White Man pairings have nothing to do with Asians, male OR female.... That doesn't mean I somehow don't care about the racism Asians they face.... Unbelievable....

I knew something was up when you sat up there & said this little number:

"Therefore the problems concerning racism is simply not a cut and dry black and white issue anymore. We have persons of Asian and Hispanic descent with their problems that may be of a different nature from Afro-Americans. That is what I know, rather guarantee that you are not seeing here."

^^ As if anything in that quote of yours was being disputed.....

I guess this doesn't count for anything huh.....

You just exposed yourself hard with this last post man.... I have nothing more to say to you as far as this discussion goes.... Damn agenda frauds.....

Lol at this.... man GTFO.... Really dude?

Firstly, I don't have to take what you say is fact, as fact (hence the original disagreement).... This is something, for whatever reason, you cannot seem to get over.....

Secondly, the source of my so-called "anger" stemmed from you trying to force your issue on to me.... I am most certainly gonna speak out against anyone that does that to me, on or off this MF-er...... So there is no projection; the tone of my posts isn't suggestive of any anger I have, due to the fact that we live in a racist world.... The source of my so-called "anger" in this particular discussion, is you - Not because you said BW/AM couples are the most hated, but because you tried to get me to believe what you say is truth & fact, after the fact.... And when that didn't work, All of a sudden my posts became a waste of your time, tantrums, trollbaiting, irrelevant & all of that nonsense.....

and Thirdly....

False accusations? Nope, I was right all along - you are pushing your agenda (of the ignoring of racism Asians face) on here.... Took you long enough to show your hand.... And you got the nerve to say I'm bullshitting? Your quoting of my posts here to make it look like I'm ignoring the racism that Asians face, is very underhanded, disingenuous, & quite frankly, disgusting..... I'm not gonna bring up Asians in a discussion that has nothing to do with them.... Black woman/White Man pairings have nothing to do with Asians, male OR female.... That doesn't mean I somehow don't care about the racism they face....

I knew something was up when you sat up there & said this little number:

"Therefore the problems concerning racism is simply not a cut and dry black and white issue anymore. We have persons of Asian and Hispanic descent with their problems that may be of a different nature from Afro-Americans. That is what I know, rather guarantee that you are not seeing here."

As if any of that was being disputed.....

And I guess this doesn't count for anything huh.....

I have nothing more to say to you as far as this discussion goes.....

There you go again, throwing words in my mouth. You was the one saying I'm bullshitting. Do I need to highlight that fragment of your previous posts too?

GTFO? Forcing my 'agenda' on you? was'nt that what YOU are doing? Before you went on this tirade when I was simply making a point as i was acknoledging your comment 3 pages back now ....

Pushing the agenda of Asians? I'm Asian, apparently you missed that.

I'm not stupid, you can't confuse me with clutter and trollbait just to win a stupid arguement that is irrevelant instead of intelligent debate, which apparently you can't handle without resorting to intimidation twisted comments and ridiculous assumptions. You are just leaking all over the place with loaded statements that gives you away.

Maybe you should take your own advice and give it a break then. Thanks for derailing the shit out of the thread btw. Well appreciated.

F**king damn it. What a great intellectual discussion regarding inter racial couples and families, swayed because of some ridiculous personal disagreements. I personally wouldn't have expected this shit here, especially from the members involved.

Some people just don't know how to handle controversial topics. What can I say Turbo?

Well I can only give the slightest amount of hope that the discussion here will continue in civil manner.

Having finally seen this ad a few days ago, I don't see anything wrong with it. Just people reading too much into it.

Speaking of relationships, I'm surprised no one (don't mean here, but on the news or something) made a fuss over a Kindle ad a few months ago where a guy was talking to the 'kindle girl' about dumping his ipad and then talking to her and eventually pointing out his 'husband' at the bar. Seems no one had an issue over gay marriage (which seems like a good thing and surprising interracial marriage is more heated than a homosexual one).

better to be angry at the racist motherf*ckers who make it that way. 

Something for people to think about in their fustrations regarding these problems in society.

Seems no one had an issue over gay marriage (which seems like a good thing and surprising interracial marriage is more heated than a homosexual one).

My understanding according to aquaintances I've had in the past is that in the LGBT community, the same controversy exists concerning interracial dating. There's no end to the haters and the garbage that spews out of their mouths.

Having finally seen this ad a few days ago, I don't see anything wrong with it. Just people reading too much into it.

Speaking of relationships, I'm surprised no one (don't mean here, but on the news or something) made a fuss over a Kindle ad a few months ago where a guy was talking to the 'kindle girl' about dumping his ipad and then talking to her and eventually pointing out his 'husband' at the bar. Seems no one had an issue over gay marriage (which seems like a good thing and surprising interracial marriage is more heated than a homosexual one).

Didn't see or hear about that Kindle ad, but w/ this Cheerios ad/commercial, you couldn't tell if the two adults were married or not.... Hell, at minimum, you had to assume they were a couple... They didn't even bother to show them in the same frame; only the mother & the child were shown together (Just realized that after I saw someone's YT's video voicing their opinion of the commercial)....

Anyway, I bet money if the race & gender were reversed instead with a mixed race kid, you wouldn't have heard of/gotten near as much backlash with this whole thing.... I would've like to have heard someone of a mixed race background's (black & white parents) opinion on this commercial; preferably one that embraces both sides of their racial makeup (instead of one that portrays their self hate of one half of their racial makeup over the other)..... Judging by the replies I've seen (elsewhere), not one of the authors of said posts (or persons in the YT videos) were mixed, or said they were mixed.....

I dunno, with Cherrios, I'd have to assume they are a family. So I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they are married. Now if it means the kid came from a different marriage, I guess that's another angle. Hem good point about the dad not in the same frame with even the kid, just makes it more confusing. :shrugs:

As for the kindle ad: http://www.policymic.com/articles/28450/new-kindle-gay-marriage-commercial-paperwhite-ad-signals-changing-times

Vid in the article, just scroll down.

I dunno, with Cherrios, I'd have to assume they are a family. So I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they are married. Now if it means the kid came from a different marriage, I guess that's another angle. Hem good point about the dad not in the same frame with even the kid, just makes it more confusing. :shrugs:

As for the kindle ad: http://www.policymic.com/articles/28450/new-kindle-gay-marriage-commercial-paperwhite-ad-signals-changing-times

Vid in the article, just scroll down

Honestly I dont see what the problem is. Today's society basically exacerbates every little thing they dont like. This is why you have car vs public transportation debates in government (before it was just every man for themselves) and other policies, like gay rights, and other political standings.

Honestly I dont see what the problem is. Today's society basically exacerbates every little thing they dont like. This is why you have car vs public transportation debates in government (before it was just every man for themselves) and other policies, like gay rights, and other political standings.

I agree it's a complete utter mess.

I believe there are many reasons why we are seeing these sort of problems and it can get horrendously complicated. I'll mention two.

For one thing it may have to do with political correctness gone out of control. Since the major Civil Rights movements in the 60's many reforms has been made and written as amendments into law in the federal government and local states to accomidate people according to nationality, race, gender, economic status, disabilities, if any, and so forth, in line with the original Civil Rights Act, originally intended to protect their rights according to the US Constitution.

Initially it worked wonderfully but over the years people started to abuse the structure and now the original intent and benefit of political correctness is almost gone in my opinion, out of control.

Something else to consider: Today as we well know there are racial tensions not seen during the time when we had to deal with the Chinese Exclusion act, slavery, black apartheid or Japanese internment and so forth in the 19th and early 20th century for a variety of reasons.  

What it boils down to I think is this: Many more US Citizens are now coming to the United States, not just into NY but into the southern states and the Midwest as well, settling down, and intermarrying. Many of us (myself included) are being born into families sharing very rich and diverse multicultural backgrounds....

But.....

Unfortunate as it is, because of this, some of the more conservative groups are now feeling threatened by the influx of new immigrants coming in. That is part of the reason as well IMHO.

One of the symptoms of this social tension between national and ethnic groups who live in this country is the reactions by some of the American public we are seeing to this commercial which is the topic of this discussion we are having.

From people who cannot accept the fact that we are living in a time in the 21st century where America has opened the gates to the world.

Thanks for bearing with the long winded post.

There's a word for that, it's called Extremism.... And the amounts you see of it is increasing at a rather rapid rate......

The horseshit you hear from the media talking about we live in a tolerant society is laughable at best....

There's a word for that, it's called Extremism.... And the amounts you see of it is increasing at a rather rapid rate......

The horseshit you hear from the media talking about we live in a tolerant society is laughable at best....

Agreed. I forgot to mention that, that notion that we are living in a more progressive country is an outright lie.

We can thank the jaded media for that.

Archived