Easiest line to Patchogue?

nyctransit

As a daily Montauk Branch commuter, I strongly reccomend you take the train to Patchouge. Bus travel on Long Island (east of the City Line) should be avoided at all costs especially if you have to transfer during your journey.

Some people were alluding to avoiding certain trains like locals or expresses or something like that. My only advice is to stay away from the Summer extras. If you look in the main branch timetable and the train is shaded in black, that means it only runs on Fridays or Sundays (read the notes carefully) and they are usually a haven for the riff-raff who are going out east for a good time.

All the other trains are fine. And don't let transferring at Babylon deter you. The transfer is across the platform and easy. The vast majority of Montauk trains that require a transfer at Babylon will line up with two Babylon branch eletric trains—one local and one semi-express that stops only at Freeport, Jamaica, and Woodside before Penn Station, so those are perfectly good options as well.

To whomever asked about college being open on weekends, just because most colleges do not have sunday classes, there are often still social events, lectures, presentations, etc., that go on on the weekends. Especially now that the spring semester ended, there are often special events. Also, people go on college tours on the weekends before application season

The bus travels between Jamaica and Hempstead so it really doesn't make any difference which bus he takes.

The N6X would be faster than the local if it was running.

is the area around the station and college safe enough for a female?

You'll be fine. 

OP here again... thanks guys! I did not go this past week end, as planned earlier.

I plan to go tomorrow. So, I should be leaving from Jamaica around 2 PM and then go to the college. Then I get back into the train

I think while going from jamaica to patchogue, I'm definitely taking the train. However, for the return I don't see frequent trains. I have two options on my mind

1. Take the S63 bus to Babylon station and then the LIRR (or  bus)  from there to Jamaica (any other options here??)

2. Wait at the patchogue station for the next train ( usually hourly).

OP here again... thanks guys! I did not go this past week end, as planned earlier.

I plan to go tomorrow. So, I should be leaving from Jamaica around 2 PM and then go to the college. Then I get back into the train

I think while going from jamaica to patchogue, I'm definitely taking the train. However, for the return I don't see frequent trains. I have two options on my mind

1. Take the S63 bus to Babylon station and then the LIRR (or  bus)  from there to Jamaica (any other options here??)

2. Wait at the patchogue station for the next train ( usually hourly).

The return schedule is:

Thursday, June 13, 2013

From Patchogue To Jamaica Next >>

Depart Arrive Transfer Leaves Trip Duration

4:43 PM 5:50 PM 1 hrs. 7 mins Off Peak

5:26 PM 6:40 PM Babylon 6:03 PM 1 hrs. 14 mins Off Peak

6:30 PM 8:01 PM Babylon 7:09 PM 1 hrs. 31 mins Off Peak

7:39 PM 9:04 PM Babylon 8:13 PM 1 hrs. 25 mins Off Peak

9:41 PM 10:47 PM 1 hrs. 6 mins Off Peak

In case the formatting gets lost after I press the "Post" button, trains leave Patchogue for Jamaica at 4:43, 5:26, 6:30, 7:39, and 9:41.

The S63 bus goes to Patchogue. The S40 takes 1 hour to go from Patchogue to Babylon station. Trains leave Babylon every half hour. S40 leaves Patchogue at :00 and :30. http://www.sct-bus.org/schedules/s40.pdf

nostalgia, thanks so much! i'm probably going to take the 4:43 train or the 5:26 train from patchogue to jamaica.

also, i'm guessing i can use the s 63 bus to/from patchogue station to the college (or walk, i prefer walking but not sure how the neighborhood is)

nostalgia, thanks so much! i'm probably going to take the 4:43 train or the 5:26 train from patchogue to jamaica.

also, i'm guessing i can use the S63 bus to/from patchogue station to the college (or walk, i prefer walking but not sure how the neighborhood is)

According to the S63 map, http://www.sct-bus.org/schedules/s63.pdf, the college is near the time point for Waverly Road and Roe Blvd, 10 minutes on the bus. However the bus leaves the station at :30 and your train arrives around 3. The southbound bus leaves at :15 and arrives at the station at :25 so you'll have no problem making the 4:43 but it will be dicey making the 5:26, which begins at Patchogue.

The 4:43 goes straight through to Jamaica. The 5:26 requires a transfer at Babylon.

Of you could take the Cannonball Express and backtrack a few stations. If well timed it saves you quite some time lol. But yeah, let's keep it simple and just take the train directly to Patchogue :) The neighbourhood I dunno, but various people say it's a safe neighbourhood so you should have no problems when walking to the college :)

According to the S63 map, http://www.sct-bus.org/schedules/s63.pdf, the college is near the time point for Waverly Road and Roe Blvd, 10 minutes on the bus. However the bus leaves the station at :30 and your train arrives around 3. The southbound bus leaves at :15 and arrives at the station at :25 so you'll have no problem making the 4:43 but it will be dicey making the 5:26, which begins at Patchogue.

The 4:43 goes straight through to Jamaica. The 5:26 requires a transfer at Babylon.

I checked the S 63 and LIRR schedule. I may be ok making the 4:43.

Also, on my trip up ( from jamaica to patchogue,) I may not be able to get the bus..

I checked the S 63 and LIRR schedule. I may be ok making the 4:43.

Also, on my trip up ( from jamaica to patchogue,) I may not be able to get the bus..

Because you have a short turnaround, I doubt you can take the 3:30 bus from the station, take care of your business at the college and catch the 4:15 back to the station. It's supposed to rain so consider taking a cab to the college. That should keep you dry and give you enough time to catch the 4:15 bus back to the station.

NOTE: I don't know how far the bus stop is from the college. It doesn't look far on the map, but the map isn't drawn to scale.

I just got back home from my trip to patchogue. That was a serious train ride, quite a distance I must say.

I took a cab to/from patchogue station to the college. I saw the S63 bus run but I didn't bother with it.

While coming back to jamaica, I got a babylon express train so it was direct babylon-jamaica :)

Also, the train seating was pretty much full both ways. I imagine a lot of people work in NYC and live around patchogue and vice-versa too.

Thank You all for your inputs.

I just got back home from my trip to patchogue. That was a serious train ride, quite a distance I must say.

I took a cab to/from patchogue station to the college. I saw the S63 bus run but I didn't bother with it.

While coming back to jamaica, I got a babylon express train so it was direct babylon-jamaica :)

Also, the train seating was pretty much full both ways. I imagine a lot of people work in NYC and live around patchogue and vice-versa too.

Thank You all for your inputs.

That was why I suggested the S63 cause sometimes you can get a direct transfer. Water under the bridge now ohh well. LIRR gets packed on most trains. Even the port Jefferson line that goes through some empty areas so empty you can walk for 40 mins and barely see cars driving.

That was why I suggested the S63 cause sometimes you can get a direct transfer. Water under the bridge now ohh well. LIRR gets packed on most trains. Even the port Jefferson line that goes through some empty areas so empty you can walk for 40 mins and barely see cars driving.

From Babylon to Jamaica it can get crowded but if you board at Babylon you will most likely have a seat. And don't get me started on the Montauk line. It's quite popular but not so popular that you can't find a seat. Maybe on the Cannonball Express but on the local it should be no problem at all.

From Babylon to Jamaica it can get crowded but if you board at Babylon you will most likely have a seat. And don't get me started on the Montauk line. It's quite popular but not so popular that you can't find a seat. Maybe on the Cannonball Express but on the local it should be no problem at all.

The train has a seat at patchouge who cares take the fastest trip done.

Archived