Orions End of an Era?

BryanT148

The ZF transmission in general is pretty much a highway grade transmission and they do climb hills like they aren't there (if its working fine lol). I've been on buses on the 53 that met up with 79s on the bridge that straight aired them out on the incline. Why do you think a good number of newer highway coach buses have a ZF AsTronic (or however its spelled) compared to Allison ones.

My gripe with the 3Gs is the seating arrangement. That whole upper level shouldn't be 2x2 seating, especially right above the back wheel. The only seats I can fit in with enough legroom is the last row above the engine. If those seats are taken then I just stand. Other than that, I really don't have any problems with the bus from a neutral point of view

While I do agree about the odd row that sits on the wheel arches as uncomfortable, I think it was one of the better seating arrangement along with the xd40s. All buses' rear section should have as many 2x2 seats that can fit since people hardly goes there to stand.

Really? Because of the ZF?

Nope, aside from the fact that they wanted the RTSs off of the island because of how badly they've been getting destroyed, they got a huge piece of the Orion V order.

And there's not much hills in Brooklyn to actually say that the ZF RTSs are the best to take em. Have them return to Gun Hill and we'll see if they can live to that task!

Amen to that!

Lmaoo that's my problem with those Ulmer B/Os... they cruise in the streets they when they realize their late they fly... that's why I love when there's traffic or a whole bunch of people taking their time... that way I can get some speed runs throughout the end of the route...

There's about a good 6-7 B/Os that when I get on I know it'sgoing to be a good ride

Lmaoo that's my problem with those Ulmer B/Os... they cruise in the streets they when they realize their late they fly... that's why I love when there's traffic or a whole bunch of people taking their time... that way I can get some speed runs throughout the end of the route...

There's about a good 6-7 B/Os that when I get on I know it'sgoing to be a good ride

LOL, the Ulcer Park operators kill it only when they want to. Most of them have seniority, so they couldn't give a damn on the actual speed half of the time. If they're late it's usually not an issue to the supers.

For that reason I see Jackie Gleason routes as more efficient.

LOL, the Ulcer Park operators kill it only when they want to. Most of them have seniority, so they couldn't give a damn on the actual speed half of the time. If they're late it's usually not an issue to the supers.

For that reason I see Jackie Gleason routes as more efficient.

I love Gleason B/Os.... they actually make those C40s move...and what I really love is when they take off and floor it! and you can hear it revving up very fast and shifting gears so fast and smooth...I wish I can hear some Xcelsiors get flooredlike that... but I would have to be behind the wheel... anyways I don't want to go off topic to much.

One problem I have with the 3Gs though... they leak like crazy when it rains... also the doors always have trouble closing... Friday when I was on 7067 the driver had to close the doors 6 times before it actually closed fully... it kept on closing then stopping right before it closed to open back up as if someone was standing but no one was standing on the bus

Okay, I see I didn't give enough greivences for these buses, Thanks for the constructive criticism Daimler Buses! The brakes one of my main concerns. Most of all is the Extremely slow acceleration! they jerk on takeoff, and the transmission hangs around 10mph. it stays that way until it shifts around 20mph! So imagine how many green lights these buses miss per trip! This next problems apply to all new buses: The back doors closing! need I say more about that! though to me on these buses the doors take longer. But there is some good: They move decent after 2nd gear (decent not great), Beautiful turing radiuses (Xcelsiors accept 4872 all have short turns at least ones from SI anyway). It may not seem like a valid arguement but as a B/O who drives these buses daily I'm saying they give me a much longer, more stressful day!

If anything I'm more shocked of the possibility of the Orion Vii 3G's moving to Yukon. I was unaware of the possibility until now, so thanks for the info.

Anyway, I'm not familiar with the buses themselves, but it's safe to assume part of the issues that stem from the braking process are in part due to the transmission and how it responds to the propulsion system. I'm not saying the ZF Ecolife is a faulty product, but in general ZF transmissions tend to be on the jerkier side, especially in comparison to Allison transmissions which I'm sure you're more familiar with. Not that I have any complaints but personally the ZF Ecolife paired with the Cummins ISL 9 seems like an awkward combination, but I digress.

Regarding the acceleration it could also be in part due to the collaboration of the transmission. The ZF Ecolife is an fuel and maintenance economical transmission, mainly by regulating shift points based on gradients, thus saving fuel. If you find the acceleration sluggish it's in part due to the transmission operating on "Eco" mode for the majority of the trip, only switching to "normal" and "incline" modes.

It can be compared to Allison's Load-Based Shift Scheduling, which the New Flyer XD40's and upper NovaBus LFS' are equipped with. With you having experience with those fleets it's safe to assume that the ZF's operate slower than that.

Again, not faulting ZF but the Ecolife perhaps it's not the best for day to day operations in the MTA. Either way as you said there will be no more incoming Orion Vii 3G's so if you prefer the LFS' or XD40's take that as a sign of relief.

If anything for now give the 3G's some time and you'll learn to control them like a pro in no time.

Thanks for the in depth info! I used to work at Fresh Pond and took only the RTS Buses (9206-9216) (9580-9598) so I wasn't aware of the difference! But I've been at Castleton long enough to develop a touch on both pedals to control the bus flawlessly! However, no matter how skilled an operator may be, these problems remain increasingly evident with these particular buses.  I simply wanted to spark conversion about these buses, Vent a little & maybe learn somthing, And reading your post I have Thank You Sir!!!  

Thanks for the in depth info! I used to work at Fresh Pond and took only the RTS Buses (9206-9216) (9580-9598) so I wasn't aware of the difference! But I've been at Castleton long enough to develop a touch on both pedals to control the bus flawlessly! However, no matter how skilled an operator may be, these problems remain increasingly evident with these particular buses.  I simply wanted to spark conversion about these buses, Vent a little & maybe learn somthing, And reading your post I have Thank You Sir!!!  

No problem Bryan, always glad to be of assistance.

Nope, aside from the fact that they wanted the RTSs off of the island because of how badly they've been getting destroyed, they got a huge piece of the Orion V order.

And there's not much hills in Brooklyn to actually say that the ZF RTSs are the best to take em. Have them return to Gun Hill and we'll see if they can live to that task!

shit, meant to up vote you. My bad.

Archived