Zoning rule changes could see bars, lounges and ice rinks come to Grand Central Terminal

Harry

post-5097-0-94104900-1374238399_thumb.jpg
Rooftop bars, lounges — and even ice rinks — could soon sprout up around Grand Central Terminal under new zoning rules revealed Thursday by the city planning department. The latest version of a proposed rezoning that Mayor Bloomberg has been pushing includes a plan to lift the neighborhood’s long-time ban on restaurants and other businesses opening above people’s homes. The main goal is to encourage new, high-end office space to open in a business district that has lagged behind its competitors around the world, said Edith Hsu-Chen, who head’s the planning department’s Manhattan office.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-94104900-1374238399_thumb.jpg

I think it would be welcomed in the Midtown area. There's certainly enough high earners in the area who would pay.  As it is now there are plenty of mediocre places in the area that are filled after work. The one problem with the Grand Central area is a lack of good restaurants.  There's plenty of expensive ones, but not many that are expensive and actually good. 

I think it would be welcomed in the Midtown area. There's certainly enough high earners in the area who would pay.  As it is now there are plenty of mediocre places in the area that are filled after work. The one problem with the Grand Central area is a lack of good restaurants.  There's plenty of expensive ones, but not many that are expensive and actually good. 

Yes, because everyone who uses GCT on a daily basis is rich and wants to spend lavishly.

Yes, because everyone who uses GCT on a daily basis is rich and wants to spend lavishly.

I've worked in the GCT area for years and there is a lot of "old money" there in that area.  Lots of lawyers, accounting firms, banks and wealth management types of firms in the area so I know what I'm taking about. There is certainly a high-end market in that area and then you have all of the MetroNorth types leaving Grand Central that like to stop off at a nice place before heading to affluent areas like Riverdale, parts of Westchester or parts of Connecticut.  

This time I actually have to agree with Joel Up Front.

They probably already spent amounts on Amtrak/MNRR/NJT/whatever-else-uses-GCT and even if they haven't, they don't necessarily have to be rich.

This time I actually have to agree with Joel Up Front.

They probably already spent amounts on Amtrak/MNRR/NJT/whatever-else-uses-GCT and even if they haven't, they don't necessarily have to be rich.

I'm just saying that there's a market there for high-end establishments that should be tapped.  I make that point because restaurants in Midtown are already pricey if we're excluding the ordinary crappy chains and they're not very good, so they might as well add more high-end establishments that are actually GOOD.  I always felt ripped off eating a lot of places.  I mean if you spend $20 - 40 for a good lunch you should expect to get a GOOD lunch. 

I'm just saying that there's a market there for high-end establishments that should be tapped.  I make that point because restaurants in Midtown are already pricey if we're excluding the ordinary crappy chains and they're not very good, so they might as well add more high-end establishments that are actually GOOD.  I always felt ripped off eating a lot of places.  I mean if you spend $20 - 40 for a good lunch you should expect to get a GOOD lunch. 

The Oyster Bar ain't good enough for ye? :P

All kidding aside, the area doesn't have bars? That doesn't seem right...

The way I look at this: If the price is right for all New Yorkers regardless of economic status can enjoy the benefits of this change and proposal by Mayor Bloomberg (!) then I think this will be a good move. For many of us to connect, to socialize, hey even to take a girl or you ladies out there dating a guy etc etc) out on a date. Given that the main idea is to attract the white collar business district to GCT, sure it will bring revenue, which is why Bloomberg is doing this (knowing him).

I think in the long run it may benefit many NY'ers looking for some clean fun......

.... But again it depends if the proposal makes it clear these can be recreational areas proposed will be affordable to the general public. If that is the case then I am all for it. There are many NY'ers living a frugal lifestyle as we all know.

I didn't know people live in GCT.  Even the homeless get evicted every night.

Read above comment. Thanks.

I disagree with most of the above sentiments. There are a million places in Manhattan and especially the Midtown area that are accessible to the middle class and lower classes who want to eat out or go to a bar. If putting fancy pants bars and restaurants in GCT will bring in more money to the MTA, then so be it. Everyone who uses the service will benefit from the extra money. 

Archived