Fast-food workers begin strikes across U.S. over wages

Via Garibaldi 8

I guess if that is the case with the rate of exported goods increasing with traders that will definitely put a dent in the current problems with inflation against the cost of living. Now it is up to the US Congress and the individual state capitols to listen to the average American resident and enforce appropriate reforms that will put the nail in the coffin in terms of the skyrocketing costs of simply putting a roof over our heads, clothes on our backs and food in our mouths, .... and have a little extra in our pockets to enjoy life a little even. many ways in which they can do this in terms of rent stabilization and for the poor, resolving budgetary concerns, and using discretion and leniency in putting undeserved burden on the taxpayer.

Maybe cutting on defense spending would be a dead ringer as a benefit, surprised no one touched upon that one yet in this discussion amazingly. Obviously that's where a huge chunk of the spending is clearly going.

Extremely wasteful spending at that.....

Is this a joke? Fast food workers striking? This type of work is for school kids. Adults should not be doing this as a primary source of income. If you are an adult and are working in fast food as your main source of income there is something wrong with you. There are plenty of jobs out there that pay more than this and require no skills. I would think these adults have a very low set of standards to think working in fast food is an acceptable type of full time employment. There really are so many other options out there.

The only problem is the option are limited in some states of course, now NYC there is no excuses. I work as a doorman and the pay is great with benefit of course a lot better the penny fast food chain, best part no skills required. they train you in a few weeks and your set to go ^_^

Fair point. Urban areas tend to have diverse opportunities which pay higher than minimum wage in most cases. Only thing is that the higher population doesn't offset the unemployment rate much.

To add the cost of living may be higher with urban cities according to state when compared, because of higher costs of mortgages on private homes and rent in apartments, which downplays the higher then minimum wages earned in the work sector. Then again lower wages in other states along with the lower costs of living for the aforementioned circumstances cancels each other out in many cases according to region when looking at the flip side. But generally speaking the cost of living in states with major metropolises will be higher. Such as New York and particularly California. All one has to do is look at the apartment postings by state and it becomes clearly apparent.

As far as New York is concerned the cost of rent varies by neighboorhood and boro. A well known example would be Manhattan in general or certain areas in Brooklyn such as Brooklyn Heights where the costs of rent can actually be higher then in Manhattan!

To add the cost of living may be higher with urban cities according to state when compared, because of higher costs of mortgages on private homes and rent in apartments, which downplays the higher then minimum wages earned in the work sector. Then again lower wages in other states along with the lower costs of living for the aforementioned circumstances cancels each other out in many cases according to region when looking at the flip side. But generally speaking the cost of living in states with major metropolises will be higher. Such as New York and particularly California. All one has to do is look at the apartment postings by state and it becomes clearly apparent.

As far as New York is concerned the cost of rent varies by neighboorhood and boro. A well known example would be Manhattan in general or certain areas in Brooklyn such as Brooklyn Heights where the costs of rent can actually be higher then in Manhattan!

Well parts of Brooklyn are now more expensive than Manhattan and not just Brooklyn Heights either.  Even parts of Bay Ridge are getting up there which I was surprised at considering that it's far out.  I think studios along Shore Road are fetching about $1,300 or more.  Then again most of Shore Road has always been la crème de la crème even when I was looking at apartments there.

Well parts of Brooklyn are now more expensive than Manhattan and not just Brooklyn Heights either.  Even parts of Bay Ridge are getting up there which I was surprised at considering that it's far out.  I think studios along Shore Road are fetching about $1,300 or more.  Then again most of Shore Road has always been la crème de la crème even when I was looking at apartments there.

I know a couple folks who sold their apartment in Bay Ridge and got a rental in Midtown East.

Bay Ridge has doorman apartments and easy transportation, but also quiet relative to the rest of the city, so I could see why it's super expensive.

I know a couple folks who sold their apartment in Bay Ridge and got a rental in Midtown East.

Bay Ridge has doorman apartments and easy transportation, but also quiet relative to the rest of the city, so I could see why it's super expensive.

Yeah... West of 3rd Avenue it's just absolutely stunning, particularly from the 70's on down.  Those houses are easily in the millions.  It's very charming and beautiful there and the only reason I didn't move along Shore Road years ago (Shore Rd and and 91st or 92nd to be exact) was due to them axing the weekend X27 service at the time.  That and the fact even now that it's back it still ends too early for my taste, but I go down there often and take strolls along Shore Rd and around that area just to check out the houses and enjoy memories from my childhood growing up down there in South Brooklyn before jumping on the X27 and going to the city.  Bay Ridge and Dyker Heights are still two of the nicest South Brooklyn neighborhoods and my two favorite neighborhoods aside from Brooklyn Heights in all of Brooklyn. Most of Sheepshead Bay and Brighton Beach are run down now and Bensonhurst isn't as nice as it used to be either.  It's become rather dirty. Manhattan Beach is still okay though but not nearly as exclusive and quaint IMO.

Being from Brooklyn originally, I always have a soft spot for the borough over Manhattan, which I think is overrated and generally dirty, save for a few areas.  Walking down 5th and Park Avenue I'm often skeeved out by how dirty everything is.

Then you know how I'm getting rocked on the rent here in this neighborhood. I'm paying $1200 for a 1 bedroom and I'm only blocks from Shore Road.

It is. Very quiet and relatively peaceful as compared to other neighboorhoods I previously lived in.

Then you know how I'm getting rocked on the rent here in this neighborhood. I'm paying $1200 for a 1 bedroom and I'm only blocks from Shore Road.

It is. Very quiet and relatively peaceful as compared to other neighboorhoods I previously lived in.

$1,200.00 for that neck of the woods is reasonable especially since you're close to Shore Road.  The place I saw was actually a large studio at the time, which technically could've been a one bedroom, but for some reason there were no doors to any of the rooms save the bathroom.  The place was $1,025.00 at the time (some years back) since it was marketed as a studio, but I'm sure a place like that would easily go for $1,300.00 today.

This is why I feel for the ones who are struggling to make ends meet (such as struggling college students). In the initial comment where I looked at apartment postings on the internet, for those who can only afford a room rental has much to contend with. I believe if I'm correct 2-3 years ago $125 dollars a week can get you an actual room with a door. Now? A room share.... crazy right?

Makes me have to but indeed count my blessings on that I am able to make ends meet and have a very decent 1 bedroom apartment in a decent apartment building with a superintendant and porter on premises 24/7 for $1200 dollars a month in a quiet residential Brooklyn neighborhood. Which are commodities hard to find in this city unless you are making a halfway decent salary and know how to budget your finances.

Archived