NJT ALP-44M 4425 Derailed at Hoboken Terminal

Harry

Had some free time so I took a ride out to Hoboken Terminal to see what was going on there and found (NJT) ALP-44M 4425 derailed on an un-powered siding track that appears to connect to track 19 or 20. It looks like a brand new turnout to me. In the photo you can see the back of the locomotive tilting on towards the right side.

I got close enough to see the rear trucks first set of wheels completely off the rails and then was told by a NJ Transit supervisor that I couldn't be there. He was cool about it. No attitude or anything. So I did what I was told and asked if I can watch from a certain point and he responded yes. He are the photos. (NJT) 502 came to rescue with pushes to help bring the first set of wheels back onto the rails. It really nice to see all this in action.

Those NJ Transit guys did one hell of a job getting that locomotive back on the track. They used some kind of wedge to ride the front driving wheels back up on the track using (NJT) 502.

A little far but you can still make out what's going on.

IMG_1118.jpg

IMG_1120.jpg

IMG_1123.jpg

IMG_1124.jpg

IMG_1130.jpg

This is when NJT 502 takes over and pushes the ALP-44Ms front driving wheels back on the rails. Old 502 comes to the rescue.

IMG_1131.jpg

IMG_1132.jpg

IMG_1133.jpg

Back on track, (NJT) 502 pulls 4425 back away from the scene of the derailment and then relays onto another track.

IMG_1137.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

IMG_1139.jpg

Holy crap! Wonder how it happened.

How did 502 sound?

Nice catch man! Sucky for (NJT) but thats crazy!!!!

Edit: that 44 looks like it has fresh paint & a new reflective strip I wonder if it just came from the MMC...

- Andy

Holy crap! Wonder how it happened.

How did 502 sound?

The only thing I can think of is that it derailed being pushed/pulled by 502. This was the first time I ever heard 502 running and it sounds like a beast. Especially when it was pushing 4425 back onto the tracks.

The only thing I can think of is that it derailed being pushed/pulled by 502. This was the first time I ever heard 502 running and it sounds like a beast. Especially when it was pushing 4425 back onto the tracks.

That is so awesome that you caught that action. I guess one of the track joints gave or something! Electric loco's, especially the alp-46 are no joke when they are "unplugged". Very heavy!! Did you hear the turbo on 502? I think they replaced it in 2006.

- Andy

Hello Everyone,

I think that when locomotives are moved to the Wheel machine at Hoboken Terminal they are moved slowly onto the siding. I know personally that NJ Transit has been rebuilding the tracks and installed a new track to the wheel machine. From looking at the photos Harry took the locomotives both 502 and 4425 were on the new section of track that was just installed there. Before there was no way for the train to get to the wheel machine from track 18.

Eric

Hello Everyone,

I think that when locomotives are moved to the Wheel machine at Hoboken Terminal they are moved slowly onto the siding. I know personally that NJ Transit has been rebuilding the tracks to the wheel machine.

Eric

So the track slipped out of place?

- A

Archived