Even more Q39 route changes coming your way......

BM5 via Woodhaven

http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/131112_1030_transit-bus.pdf

In this edition, the only service changes for buses being talked about here is a Q39 routing change in Long Island City. Buses will utilize 44 Drive in both directions between Thomson Avenue and 23rd Street.

Implementation is expected for January 2014.

Refer to pages 179-183 in the booklet to see the changes.

If the map on page 183 is too confusing, here's another map

Blue signifies the routing that will be in effect of 2014

Red signifies the discontinued portion.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204750700533050976010.0004eaef8f6d7cc2f2da4&msa=0&ll=40.748728,-73.941025&spn=0.005429,0.011523

I would simplify the Q39 route and take it off 23 Street altogether. Instead, I would propose a routing as follows:

To Queens Plaza, via Thomson Avenue---stay on Thomson, right on Jackson, left on 42 Road, right on 28 Street, and stand at the B62 stand.

To Ridgewood: Start at Jackson north of 42 Road, left on Thomson, and regular.

The Q100 would move to the Q39's stop.

I would simplify the Q39 route and take it off 23 Street altogether. Instead, I would propose a routing as follows:

To Queens Plaza, via Thomson Avenue---stay on Thomson, right on Jackson, left on 42 Road, right on 28 Street, and stand at the B62 stand.

To Ridgewood: Start at Jackson north of 42 Road, left on Thomson, and regular.

But then the Q39 would lose some ridership. Q39 runs on 23rd Street to serve the Court Square before going straight to Queens Plaza. There's plenty of entrances to the subway station around that area (Jackson Ave and 44th Drive), and I suspect a lot more  people get off there to transfer to the trains there instead of taking the bus straight to Queens Plaza, and taking the N,Q, and 7 trains at Queenboro Plaza.

Why? 

Simple.

Curtail it to where the masses board that route heading back towards Ridgewood, and to where folks majorly disembark buses at, coming from Maspeth & Ridgewood....

I've always felt that way about the 39... has no business going to QBP.... waste of time..... the route is indirect enough....

I can actually agree with that.... You don't know how many people have asked me over time, where do you catch the 100, whenever I'm around 28th st....

I remember this one baby mama (let's call it what it is, she had a baby in a stroller & a little 3-5 year old walking next to her) that said "why the f*** they got it over there for - I just came from over there"... Her accent (NY, puerto rican) made it all the more funnier.... I told her, I dunno why they got it over there like that for either, but it's stupid...

Simple.

Curtail it to where the masses board that route heading back towards Ridgewood, and to where folks majorly disembark buses at, coming from Maspeth & Ridgewood....

I've always felt that way about the 39... has no business going to QBP.... waste of time..... the route is indirect enough....

I can actually agree with that.... You don't know how many people have asked me over time, where do you catch the 100, whenever I'm around 28th st....

I remember this one baby mama (let's call it what it is, she had a baby in a stroller & a little 3-5 year old walking next to her) that said "why the f*** they got it over there for - I just came from over there"... Her accent (NY, puerto rican) made it all the more funnier.... I told her, I dunno why they got it over there like that for either, but it's stupid...

All of them are coming off the train and there is an exit that dumps you right by the q100. How is that stupid? I believe there is a sign in the subway indicating where the q100 is so it's stupid that people don't read but what do we expect from the majority of q100 riders...

All of them are coming off the train and there is an exit that dumps you right by the q100. How is that stupid? I believe there is a sign in the subway indicating where the q100 is so it's stupid that people don't read but what do we expect from the majority of q100 riders...

The only Q100 pickup stop around Queensboro Plaza is over there on the corner of Jackson/42nd....

That lady I referred to has a point & so does AEMoreira... It's a hassle to get to that stop.

The last stop (Queens plz. south/27th) coming from rikers is convenient, the sole pickup stop in the general vicinity of QBP (Jackson/42nd) back towards rikers is not.....

But there's more transfers at QBP. Like I used to transfer from the Q102. It's not just for the people coming from the (7).

I understand that, but it's the riders themselves (in general) that apparently don't utilize xfers to the other buses....

You & anyone xferring off 39's @ QBP to a connecting bus is in a very small minority.....

Archived